Home Sports Talk
Options

NHL Referee Tim Peel Fired

TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

During last night's Detroit/Nashville game, referee Tim Peel was caught on a hot mic admitting he was looking for a penalty to call against Nashville to even things up penalty-wise. NHL refs do that all the time, and Kerry Fraser even admitted doing it, but they don't usually admit doing it. Reaction from the NHL was swift as Peel is now an ex-referee.

https://theathletic.com/news/nhl-bans-referee-tim-peel-after-hot-mic-comment-about-predators-penalty/e6fyf4lwXmRC

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim Peel was too honest, not something condoned in today's sports climate

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

NHL refs have been doing that for at least the past 40 years.

• Options

Yeah, this is just butt-covering by the NHL. This has long been a practice, since at least the Broad Street Bully days. It's a major flaw in NHL officiating, which is already pretty awful. Peel just happened to get caught admitting it.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    NHL refs have been doing that for at least the past 40 years.

NHL can't be the only sport where officiating crews have their favorites and shall we say non-favorites. Small/large strike zones in baseball come to mind.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Officials have made obvious "make up" calls for years when they know they blew a call. Is this what happened here?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

One time when I was keeping the electronic scoreboard at a High School basketball game, the area on the board that shows team fouls I kept adding to the amount for one team even though it put them in the bonus (I had 11 fouls on the team when the bonus started at 7). The other team had very few fouls called on them. During a timeout, the lead referee came over a told me to stop once the foul total reached bonus level.

I knew the lead referee as he was my superintendent during my high school days.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Brick said:
    Officials have made obvious "make up" calls for years when they know they blew a call. Is this what happened here?

No. More of "gee, we've called a couple in a row on Detroit, need to make it LOOK fair..." deal.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2021 3:04PM

The weird thing was Nashville only had two power plays and the Wings had three. The one they missed must have been a dousy

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2021 3:07PM

@Alfonz24 said:
    One time when I was keeping the electronic scoreboard at a High School basketball game, the area on the board that shows team fouls I kept adding to the amount for one team even though it put them in the bonus (I had 11 fouls on the team when the bonus started at 7). The other team had very few fouls called on them. During a timeout, the lead referee came over a told me to stop once the foul total reached bonus level.

When I was teaching high school in Colorado in the late 90s, I would help by doing the PA for basketball games. One night, we were getting hosed by the officials really, really bad. By the end of the game, it was something like 32-5 for free throws. In the second half, I started doing what you were doing ("12 team foul", "13th team foul", etc) - except the refs didn't say anything to me. I also pronounced "offensive" the "other" way when talking about a foul.

The Monday after the game, I got called into the AD's office at my school and told I wouldn't be doing the PA anymore :) Can't blame him, I was totally unprofessional but I was young and dumb and those refs were absolutely biased.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    The weird thing was Nashville only had two power plays and the Wings had three. The one they missed must have been a dousy

mark

I watched the game and don't remember anything particularly egregious.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I watched the game and don't remember anything particularly egregious.

Same without the sound while working

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:

No. Apparently it's more of "Nashville is so much better than Detroit that the NHL wants us to call (extra) penalties on Nashville to make the games more competitive."

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess people can't get reprimanded or suspended for doing something all sports fans know goes on, the guy has to lose his job.

THIS ERA SUCKS.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2021 12:58PM

Peel was going to retire next month anyway. Regardless, Peel is/has been the worst ref in the NHL for awhile. He's the Angel Hernandez of hockey. Should have been demoted to the A or fired years ago.

A small aggregate of his act.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/my-night-at-the-bar-with-tim-peel--nhl-ref-and-object-of-scorn-171058557.html

btw for this meeting with then a blogger, now a lead hockey writer on ESPN, Peel was suspended for a few games. So this isn't something new. He's been reprimanded various times.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lanemyer85 said:
    Peel was going to retire next month anyway. Regardless, Peel is/has been the worst ref in the NHL for awhile. He's the Angel Hernandez of hockey. Should have been demoted to the A or fired years ago.

A small aggregate of his act.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/my-night-at-the-bar-with-tim-peel--nhl-ref-and-object-of-scorn-171058557.html

btw for this meeting with then a blogger, now a lead hockey writer on ESPN, Peel was suspended for a few games. So this isn't something new. He's been reprimanded various times.

Thanks for the info. I guess we won't miss him. ;-)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set