Home Sports Talk
Options

Chris Simms says Jags are picking Trevor Lawrence to "sell tickets".

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting comments from one Chris Simms.

The view of Clemson superstar Trevor Lawrence as the top quarterback in the 2021 NFL Draft is almost universal. One of the primary dissenters is NBC Sports’ Chris Simms, who has maintained for a few weeks now that he is a bigger fan of BYU‘s Zach Wilson, the potential No. 2 overall pick.

For NFL Draft purposes, any speculation is pretty academic. The Jacksonville Jaguars are taking Lawrence No. 1, as almost every single team would do in the same position. He may not be atop every single team’s draft board, but most view him as a generational quarterback talent that we haven’t seen since Andrew Luck.

It certainly doesn’t hurt that Lawrence is already a legend in the Southeast. He’s from Georgia and starred at Clemson. He’d be a draw anywhere, but he can probably lift the struggling Jacksonville Jaguars a lot.

Simms says that he thinks the Jaguars are taking this factor into account more than a direct comparison of his skills to Zach Wilson’s. If Wilson was a Florida guy, or the team was truly concerned with football first, the BYU Cougar would be the pick, Simms says.

“(Lawrence) is from Georgia. That is right up the road from Jacksonville,” Simms said during a recent appearance on NFL Network’s Good Morning Football, per the New York Post. “He of course went to South Carolina, Clemson there. He is a God-like figure, as far as football is concerned. He is going to sell tickets. He is going to be everything they want.

He believes that Wilson both made big throws more consistently, and has a higher ceiling than Lawrence as a pro.

“I like Trevor Lawrence,” Simms said. “But the thing that jumped out to me more, there was more missed throws and inaccurate throws on the film than I thought I was going to see. Not to say that there are still not a lot of damn good ones, but I think that to me was the difference.

[…]

“My big thing is, go with Zach Wilson. If you really want me to go make that sell or pitch, I would go, ‘Zach Wilson can run any offense. He is ready right now and I think he has less questions about his game than a Trevor Lawrence.’ That is where I would really sell you.

“I think his high-end talent is greater than Trevor Lawrence.”

Simms is not afraid to go out on a ledge like this, but in recent years it has worked out. He was much higher on guys like Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson than many others in the pre-draft process. We’ll see if he really nailed this one in due time, or if this was a big reach.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lawrence needs to cut that hair.

i can't take looking at it any longer. 😒

• Options

@stevek said:

Yes, and Urban Meyer will see to it that he does. Urban is a very mean and vicious man when when it comes to things like this. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Urban won't tolerate a hippie quarterback!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

there will come a time, probably around age 40, when Trevor Lawrence looks back and says man, that long hair looked bad.

guarantee it.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2021 9:24AM

So Chris Simms is just saying absurd things to get air time? Trevor Lawrence is getting picked because he is the highest rated QB in the draft and the Jags need a QB. End of discussion

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Yes, and Urban Meyer will see to it that he does. Urban is a very mean and vicious man when when it comes to things like this. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Urban won't tolerate a hippie quarterback!

If Meyer does that, i'll be a fan of his for life. :)

• Options

@craig44 said:
    there will come a time, probably around age 40, when Trevor Lawrence looks back and says man, that long hair looked bad.

guarantee it.

I don't even mind long hair on a guy. I had long hair in the 1970's when it was in style. I don't even mind it today.

But Lawrence seems to have it curled and styled like he goes to the beauty parlor.

i know of no guy in the 1970's who ever went to a friggin' beauty parlor. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Oh he will. Urban is a very devious and insane man. Sure he may look normal, but inside he's totally mad. Just look at that devious little smile, he scares the heck out of me.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Oh he will. Urban is a very devious and insane man. Sure he may look normal, but inside he's totally mad. Just look at that devious little smile, he scares the heck out of me.

>

We shall see how Meyer's success in college, if it translates into success in the pros.

Some who tried this such as Barry Switzer and Steve Spurrier failed miserably.

Yea, i know Switzer won a Super Bowl. But anybody's grandma could have coached and won a Super Bowl with that Cowboys team which Jimmy Johnson brilliantly put together.

Don't even get me started about Chip Kelly.

• Options

That's what I can't wait to see. It will be the ultimate theatre, can the college football genius make it in the big time? We shall see, and I can't wait! As far as Barry Switzer goes, like you said, anyone could have won that Super Bowl with Jimmys players. A stuffed animal could have led them to a Super Bowl that year.

• Options

The Cowboys coach in 1995.

• Options

Of course Jimmy Johnson eventually made a magnificent transition, although he struggled somewhat with the Dolphins later on. Dick Vermeil didn't do too badly and eventually won a Super Bowl.

But i still think the best way to hire a head coach in the NFL is thru an offensive or defensive coordinator with your team or another team, or at least someone who has worked his way up the ranks as a positions coach in the NFL. The vast majority of successful NFL head coaches over the years have done it this way, and i think it makes the most sense.

• Options

A piece of fruit could led the Cowboys to that 95' Super Bowl!

The Cowboys head coach in 1995.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2021 11:12AM

I once had a very interesting conversation with two retired major league baseball players. The talk centered around who plays and who sits. Bottom line.......the general manager is the "Boss." His job is to sell tickets. Players who are popular with the fans are on the field many times regardless of the fact that a better but less popular players sits. This is more common with teams that are not championship quality. "Inside Baseball" is very fascinating. You have to be there to believe it. Bottom line.....fans in the stands is the #1 priority.

• Options

Yes, and like I said, Urban Meyer is a devious and clever man. He's totally mad, and who knows what's going on in his sick, twisted mind. Just look at that sly devious smile. He knows what he's doing, you sly devil you.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Yea, i know Switzer won a Super Bowl. But anybody's grandma could have coached and won a Super Bowl with that Cowboys team which Jimmy Johnson brilliantly put together.

Fun fact - Barry Switzer has a higher career winning percentage than Jimmy Johnson - even if you take out the 1-15 season.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

Fun fact - Barry Switzer has a higher career winning percentage than Jimmy Johnson - even if you take out the 1-15 season.

Illustrates how stats can sometimes be misleading.

• Options

@stevek said:

Illustrates how stats can sometimes be misleading.

More likely it illustrates that Switzer is a tad - just a tad - underrated and Jimmy is a LOT overrated.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2021 8:30PM

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

guarantee it.

I don't even mind long hair on a guy. I had long hair in the 1970's when it was in style. I don't even mind it today.

But Lawrence seems to have it curled and styled like he goes to the beauty parlor.

i know of no guy in the 1970's who ever went to a friggin' beauty parlor. LOL

I'm going to tell you guys a true story, since we're all friends here.

Maybe I should have posted this in that thread about things you still have from your childhood. Thisistheshow used to have long hair. I was in my mid twenties. I didn't wear it down, like the above mentioned athlete, ever. I always pulled it back tight and then twisted it into a sort of mini bun. Looking back on it, I am not exactly sure why I grew it out like that. I'm trying to think, as I type this, of my endgame.... I had joked before with my wife that when I eventually cut my hair , I would pull it all back into a ponytail, cut it off in one piece, and save it. Again, as I type this out, I'm not sure what I was thinking or why.

My wife and first born child (who was very young at that time and is about to turn twenty-one) were in Brazil visiting her family. Without telling my wife, I cut my hair, and surprised her upon her return. I showed her the hair that had been cut off in a ponytail. And that was that. I didn't think much of it. I knew that my hair, for whatever reason (almost like a relic from the past) made it from the Bronx to Texas.

And this is where it gets to that part about something from childhood. Maybe ten years ago I asked my wife where she had put my Star Wars Lunchbox. She had put it in the garage, in a high cabinet, way in the back. So I got it down, opened it up, and then almost had a heart attack. 😂

There sat my hair.

Why?

Why had my wife put my hair in my childhood Star Wars lunchbox?

If you have made it this far, Thank you!!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤔🤔🤔🤔

Edit to add: I just went out to the garage, and looked into that cabinet. I'd have to get on a step ladder to find out, but I'm pretty sure that my Star Wars lunchbox is still back there. I can't quite see it. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

Why is there no WTF?!?! reaction on this board? The above post demands it!

• Options

Good story.

But i learned a long time ago never ask a woman why she did something. Nothing positive whatsoever can come out of the answer. 😉

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

My passport has some hair on it as the last time (#3) I grew my hair out I had to renew. Horrible, horrible picture. And that hair project was officially the last time it's going longer than an inch. College grow #1 was ok. 32 yr old grow was awesome. The 40s growth project was just horribly d-bag worth, blehk, never again.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

just so I have this right: Trevor Lawrence needs to cut his hair but Fitz's beard is OK??

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2021 9:08AM

I like that kid's long hair. Reminds me of another athlete that I knew long ago. Could almost be his twin brother. The girls love red hair. And......has anyone ever noticed the disproportionate number of NFL quarterbacks who have red hair? I have because the Lovely Mrs. Hydrant is constantly pointing it out to me. Orange is her favorite color.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wife thinks redheads were kissed by the virgin Mary before being born..something like that...which is why she said yes to my stupid azz.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

still so intrigued by the lovely mrs hydrant

btw pictures or none of these stories happened