Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Venorlandus Proof Cards

Has anybody come across any Venorlandus square-cut blank-backed proof cards from c1979 at all?

I understand only six sets of 48 were ever produced, including a number of sporting subjects not featured in the more common 'World of Sport Our Heroes' set, including the likes of Arnold Palmer, Tom Weiskopf and Carlos Monzon. Also in the set are some UK politicians from the time, pop stars such as Elton John and Rod Stewart, plus Muhammad Ali and Pele.

Guess these are pretty rare? Would PSA grade them? Any valuation estimates?

Any info would be most appreciated. Few photos attached.

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

larkin and i both have the arnie,

i now want the elton. and the weiskopf. how much?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thatcher?

• Options
    jbbhjbbh Posts: 12

@blurryface said:

Any idea as to the market value?

• Options

@daltex said:
    Thatcher?

Yes, she is in the set!

• Options
    edited March 24, 2021 3:24PM

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

i do. are the cards i'm inquiring about for sale?

eta: the arnie is the crown jewel btw. as he's not in the set. there's a jack proof too. but like ali and pele, there are in the set.

• Options
    KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Not sure how you came into these but, awesome find. I know what I would do. Grade, consign ASAP.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

eta: the arnie is the crown jewel btw. as he's not in the set. there's a jack proof too. but like ali and pele, there are in the set.

Thanks for the info. Cards will be available for sale in due course.

• Options

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

Thanks for the info. Cards will be available for sale in due course.

best of luck w the sales!

• Options

@Kyser said:
    Not sure how you came into these but, awesome find. I know what I would do. Grade, consign ASAP.

psa will not grade these.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Kyser said:

That’s a shame. Any reason why not? Because they’re classed as proofs?

• Options

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

@Kyser said:

That’s a shame. Any reason why not? Because they’re classed as proofs?

exactly it & agreed on it being a shame!

• Options

@blurryface said:

Arnie, Elton and four others are on eBay as auctions now. More to follow during the coming weeks!

• Options

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

Arnie, Elton and four others are on eBay as auctions now. More to follow during the coming weeks!

where are you getting the info that only 6 were produced? pretty sure i can can put together at least 5 other palmers if i tried.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

where are you getting the info that only 6 were produced? pretty sure i can can put together at least 5 other palmers if i tried.

It was mentioned in some documentation that was included when I obtained the cards.

• Options

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

It was mentioned in some documentation that was included when I obtained the cards.

post a scan of that please?

• Options

@blurryface said:

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

OK. Here you go:

• Options

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

OK. Here you go:

thanks. i needed that! 😂

• Options

• Options

@blurryface said:

Better change my descriptions then :D

• Options
    edited March 31, 2021 12:56PM

all i am saying, is as the owner of some these and one of the better golf card collections out there, i wish it were confirmed that there was only six. in fact, i purchased the golf card collection from the guy that helped publish the bible(s) of golf cards. and it does me no good to talk crap about my own collection but i am of the opinion from other board members here and other golf collectors i know personally and that own examples as well that the total is probably much closer to 20-24 sets both from counts and printing production standards.

i don't blame you for wanting to obtain as much as you can for them, but advertising and stating something based off a print-at-home inventory sheet is an extremely grey area, imo. they are amazing pieces that will and would have commanded nice price tags w/o the need for unconfirmed and unsubstantiated rumors.

i would have liked to of bid on the elton.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    all i am saying, is as the owner of some these and one of the better golf card collections out there, i wish it were confirmed that there was only six. in fact, i purchased the golf card collection from the guy that helped publish the bible(s) of golf cards. and it does me no good to talk crap about my own collection but i am of the opinion from other board members here and other golf collectors i know personally and that own examples as well that the total is probably much closer to 20-24 sets both from counts and printing production standards.

i don't blame you for wanting to obtain as much as you can for them, but advertising and stating something based off a print-at-home inventory sheet is an extremely grey area, imo. they are amazing pieces that will and would have commanded nice price tags w/o the need for unconfirmed and unsubstantiated rumors.

i would have liked to of bid on the elton.

Fair comments. Will stand corrected if it's proven that more than six exist and will reword future listings accordingly.

In the meantime, I will endeavour to glean some information relating to the original owner of the collection which included these cards and revert in due course.

Not stopping you bidding on Elton!

• Options

you'll have a better time proving the chicken came first.

"don't believe everything you read printed from a computer"

-ben franklin

• Options

also. just hope you know that you have opened yourself up for an easy and automatic return based off your listing? all it takes is for them to post their new acquisition on facebook, ig, here or there claiming they went big on a rare '79 proof w only 5 other copies and then they get laughed at or realize they spent way too much when others claim they have one too.

ebay will laugh at your print out proof as well. not saying it will happen, just making you aware of very real possibilities. just saying, i remember showing mine off thinking i had a 1/1 grail way back when only to hear "yeah, i got one of those" and then after showing @LarkinCollector, him finding another one relatively quick.

again they are awesome enough w/o the fluff of a print out by the guy who sold them to you.

• Options

@blurryface said:

-ben franklin

Shall we just settle on “limited number” then?

Would certainly be interesting to find out though. Number of cards produced that is, not the chicken!

• Options
    edited March 31, 2021 1:39PM

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

-ben franklin

Would certainly be interesting to find out though. Number of cards produced that is, not the chicken!

i think "extremely rare" or "try finding another one for sale" or even "less than 30" is not a stretch by any means. but again, even the less than 30 can be met w "prove it" and a return request.

but in your description you can put "in my opinion, less than 30" but in the title advertising & stating "only 6 ever made" is just a lil shady.

i am simply confident that less than 30 exist from serious and previous history w the card but i can't say for certain.

my only issue is w the subtitle text. and again i'm just some dude on the internet. my word is far from gospel,

• Options

@blurryface said:

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

-ben franklin

i think "extremely rare" or "try finding another one for sale" or even "less than 30" is not a stretch by any means. but again, even the less than 30 can be met w "prove it" and a return request.

but in your description you can put "in my opinion, less than 30" but in the title advertising & stating "only 6 ever made" is just a lil shady.

i am simply confident that less than 30 exist from serious and previous history w the card but i can't say for certain.

my only issue is w the subtitle text. and again i'm just some dude on the internet. my word is far from gospel,

Nowhere do I specifically state that only six were produced. Perhaps I should expand on “believed to...” to “believed but not proven to...”

I appreciate your input and will ensure more clarity moving forward.

• Options

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

@jbbh said:

@blurryface said:

-ben franklin

Nowhere do I specifically state that only six were produced. Perhaps I should expand on “believed to...” to “believed but not proven to...”

I appreciate your input and will ensure more clarity moving forward.

specifically? 😉

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I almost feel like blurry should get a percentage/consulting fee. Guy comes on the boards specifically 😉to gain some insight on items he is unsure of but doesn't seem to really even give blurry a chance to buy said items. I understand this happens all the time now days on this board but it's just feels disingenuous. I could be wrong, maybe he will become an active member and help others but only time will tell.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.