Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Bill McKivor passed away

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 24, 2021 8:45AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I just learned he passed away last week. I bought my first conder token from him. A clever writer and overall an entertaining and knowledgeable man. I enjoyed our phone calls and written correspondence. He was patient with me while I was getting my feet wet

He was quite the character

RIP sir

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this.

Though I was never able to buy anything from him directly, I did enjoy his website and his treasures. Very informative!

RIP Bill

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2021 4:49AM

I corresponded with Bill over more than a decade as I got deeper into Conder tokens. As two older gentlemen, we loved to share our philosophies as much as talk about coins, cars, travel, things British, our past experiences as newspaper editors, family, and many other things. He was a real old-school gentleman. We jointly mourned the passing together of Dr. Richard Doty back in 2013, and I remember calling him from Dallas one time to help me when I was cataloging a fantastic Theatre at New York token. Thanks to Bill, I came to realize that some few Conder tokens are collected as part of the U.S. series and listed in the Guide Book.

Another good one gone. RIP old friend.

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lived in Seattle for a New York minute. Thats where he resided. I should have taken more advantage of that. Quite a character and a real gentleman. He lived and breathed Conder tokens. He loved his buying pilgrimages to the UK to re stock his inventory.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark J - @Justacommeman : thank you for posting this.

Bill was such a nice gentleman to talk with on the phone and in email correspondence. I have a few tokens from Bill over the years, and they are certainly of a caliber that espouses Bill’s eye for quality.

RIP Bill. :cry:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-