Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone Consigned Raw Cards with Greg Morris?

Curious if anyone has. I have about 100 raw 69 and 70 topps Basketball cards that are right on the borderline of being worthwhile for grading. With the current turnaround times and price increase, I think I'll just shoot them off to GMC and let them list. They take 25% of the final price, which seems fair since Ebay will take 15% if I list them myself. It seems they consistently get quite high prices for raw vintage cards so I may net the same or more than I would listing myself, with no work attached to it.

Two questions:

A. Has anyone consigned with GM and how was your experience?
B. Any other raw card consignors that would be a better fit?

thanks!

Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I can't speak from experience CONSIGNING with them, but I have bought raw twice from them, both times the cards were accurately described. The last one was a 1971 OPC pirates team card he said was ex-mint, cost maybe $110 and came back from PSA a 6. When you know you're getting what you paid for it's easy to buy there. I have some graded cards

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

gotta watch hitting "enter" - anyway I have some graded cards somewhere else and don't have that good feeling. You might check into PCSportscards for raw cards too but greg morris seems very good

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimq said:
    gotta watch hitting "enter" - anyway I have some graded cards somewhere else and don't have that good feeling. You might check into PCSportscards for raw cards too but greg morris seems very good

i believe pcs has stopped selling raw as of 3/1. group subs & grading>consignment too, just for now.

i think they are in the midst of a major technological upgrade & revamp. with the recent price restructuring, an internal battle w covid, going hard for so long mixed w a couple overdue vacays due, the timing seemed to be right.

again, most is just temporary. check back in w them if ya hadn't figured something out in a month or so.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to the 25%, Greg Morris charges 50 cents surcharge for cards selling under $10. Still they tend to get some very high bids which should make up for the fees.

Daniel
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    In addition to the 25%, Greg Morris charges 50 cents surcharge for cards selling under $10. Still they tend to get some very high bids which should make up for the fees.

My thoughts exactly, with no work involved on my end.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

No problems ..... bordering on exceptional outcomes:
    Probably my 5th or 6th transaction with GMC's

• > From a prior thread: August 2020 Pickups:
          Had a couple hundred sharp 60's and 70's commons with a few stars sprinkled in that were gathering dust .....
          So I gave them to Greg Morris and after a few weeks i accumulated enough to buy a long time favorite card:

I would make that "trade" every day and twice on Sunday....

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

A few months ago, I consigned a fairly large group of raw sports cards and a few graded ones to Greg Morris Cards. In my opinion, there is no way you will get any where near the prices that GMC gets by listing them yourself. And, it would have taken me lots of hours dealing with the photographing, listing, shipping, and processing of each card that was sold. The 25% fee is absolutely worth it, in my opinion.

Part of my consignment was a set break of a 1955 Bowman baseball set. All stars were graded, and the remainder were raw. The PSA-graded star cards were sold under a different eBay name that they use to sell the graded cards that are consigned to them. I have forgotten, but I think it is gmcards2.

I believe they require a $2,500 minimum consignment.

Also, most all the cards I consigned were listed within 7-10 days after they received them. And, you are given a separate part of their website where you can login and see all your cards that are listed, the bids on each lot, and even a total figure showing how much your totals are.

Some of the lower grade cards were returned to me rather than listed. I did have some questions there.

GMC did have a problem with my consignment, but it was resolved to my satisfaction. This was during the middle of Covid, and they attributed the problem to a staff reduction. That was probably true, but it was disconcerting to say the least. Regardless, the problem was resolved to my satisfaction.

I would not hesitate to consign to GMC again. And, I know of no other consignor who is a better alternative.

David

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options

Thank you David.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭

I had some raw cards I'm looking to consign as well. I was thinking about comc, did you consider them and pick greg morris instead? I don't have experience with either

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2021 12:50PM

I've consigned with him a few times and I don't think you can find a better option for raw cards. His consignment rates aren't cheap but, as others have said, the prices he gets due to the trust in his brand mostly make up for that and maybe even return higher than the cost he charges. The strong sale prices are great on the consigning side but much more challenging from the buying side these days.

Edited to add that he will return some cards without listing them if he doesn't think they're a good fit. You may disagree in some instances but he's doing you a favor by not accepting consignments that will get no bids or only minimum bid and end up giving you a zero return after fees.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2021 2:18PM

From a sales price perspective, I consider GM Cards to be the PWCC of raw cards. People paying top dollar for cards they could get from other seller for less.

Looks like gmcards2 is the account they use to sell anything that is NOT a raw card....

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@Autos4Alex said:
    I had some raw cards I'm looking to consign as well. I was thinking about comc, did you consider them and pick greg morris instead? I don't have experience with either

Do NOT go with comc.
    They are a complete and utter disaster right now

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sjjs28 said:
    No problems ..... bordering on exceptional outcomes:
    Probably my 5th or 6th transaction with GMC's

• > From a prior thread: August 2020 Pickups:
          Had a couple hundred sharp 60's and 70's commons with a few stars sprinkled in that were gathering dust .....
          So I gave them to Greg Morris and after a few weeks i accumulated enough to buy a long time favorite card:

I would make that "trade" every day and twice on Sunday....

Hi, your Mantle is Awesome!

• Options

Just want to say thanks to everyone contributing to this thread! I've wondered about working with Greg Morris and some really helpful info being shared.

• Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting info. Have you guys noticed a lift in prices for vintage commons/semi stars in this bull market for star/HOF cards?

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options

Not much, hoop. I think it’s coming though.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

Unfortunately Greg Morris passed on my cards for consignment.
    I have raw 69, 70 topps basketball as well as a bunch of 90s basketball (Jordans, a Jordan 92 Beam Team, etc) that I was going to consign.

Has anyone used another service recently, and if so, how did it go?
    John

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Curious, of the raw 69 and 70, what should each card sell for? I assume they are mostly commons.. I'd guess that GM has a minimum of how much he makes on each cards he lists for the effort of making the listing.

• Options

Depends. They're EX to NM so plenty are in the $10 range or more. Some between $5 and 10. Hell with their audience they do pretty good even with the commons!

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Curious, did he give you a reason for passing on the vintage basketball? Given that you already stated the condition being EX to NM and the fact that tallboys are the hottest vintage basketball product with the exception to 1986 fleer I am surprised he passed on it.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

@picklepete said:

@Autos4Alex said:

Do NOT go with comc.
    They are a complete and utter disaster right now

I 2nd that! COMC has failed miserably in their management through Covid. Everyone else seems to have recovered, they just keep getting worse!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    Curious, did he give you a reason for passing on the vintage basketball? Given that you already stated the condition being EX to NM and the fact that tallboys are the hottest vintage basketball product with the exception to 1986 fleer I am surprised he passed on it.

They pass on quite a bit. My guess is his consignment would have been too small anyway, but they don't do consignments on tall boys --just sell them for themselves when they buy a collection.

• Options

Has anyone consigned to 4SC yet?
    John

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not yet. I'm not sure you are asking in relation to raw cards but they don't accept consignments of items that are not 3rd party certified.

• Options

@gemint said:
    Not yet. I'm not sure you are asking in relation to raw cards but they don't accept consignments of items that are not 3rd party certified.

Ok, good to know.
    I'm at a loss with these raw cards in terms of consignment.
    John

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@Ahmanfan said:

@gemint said:

Ok, good to know.
    John

Let er rip in a lot on ebay.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2021 1:56PM

@Ahmanfan said:

@gemint said:

Ok, good to know.
    John

i reached out to greg too about a couple thousand prizm silvers and variations. didn't seem too interested. and really wasn't like he wasn't interested, more like just bogged down like every other area in our hobby right now.

while a bummer for me, bc i certainly don't wanna do the dirty work go listing thousands of cards, it's reassuring on just how healthy our hobby has become. everything is just overwhelmed from retail, to tpgs, to consignor services to, hell, even supplies.

can't blame greg, psa or whoever else for picking and choosing what's best. it's a good problem to have. sometimes you just have to get while the getting good.

now, who wants to list 5000 raw silvers for me?

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I will; message me. I'm a top rated seller with 1800+ feedback; Did you want to do auctions?

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options

@tonylags said:
    I will; message me. I'm a top rated seller with 1800+ feedback; Did you want to do auctions?

i think auction is best. you seriously wanna take on this endeavor? if so, think about the cut. i was good w what greg charges. so if you think you are up for it, i'll be more than happy to get ya out a test run...

btw: how did those zion card savers work out? you snagged them at the right time...

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Good deal; thanks; I got 1 case was about to get another. I'll message you

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.