Home Sports Talk
Options

Finally something positive came out of the pandemic

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 20, 2021 2:40PM in Sports Talk

The California DMV written test has always been hard for me. Even though I answer and pass 100's of practice questions online, and read the DMV handbook. I'm always surprised when I take the the actual test, and it seems like the questions are for Uganda DMV. I always pass, but the questions are nowhere the same as what I practice for.

Because of Covid they allowed online renewal, and I just got my D/L. Expiration: 2025. B)

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that sounds pretty good for you! Be safe

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2021 3:52PM

Remind me to stay off the roads when you venture out of the OC

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2021 4:08PM

hammertime parallel parking at the grocery store

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm more afraid of this

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

So in California you have to take a written test to renew?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Different circumstances have to occur, like not having taken a written test for 2 consecutive renewals, certain age, etc.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

To get my CDL I had to parallel park a semi truck and grain trailer and stay inside the marked lines.
    Somehow I managed to do it but it sure wasn't easy, Glad that was a one time only deal. :)

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@hammer1 said:

@thisistheshow said:

Different circumstances have to occur, like not having taken a written test for 2 consecutive renewals, certain age, etc.

Do other states have this?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@hammer1 said:

@thisistheshow said:

I'm not sure. Some state are easy to get a DL.

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@hammer1 said:

@thisistheshow said:

I'm not sure. Some state are easy to get a DL.

I was just wondering. I've lived in a few states but have never had to do a written exam to renew.

• Options

@Darin said:
    To get my CDL I had to parallel park a semi truck and grain trailer and stay inside the marked lines.
    Somehow I managed to do it but it sure wasn't easy, Glad that was a one time only deal. :)

Friend took a driving course before the Calif driving exam. Passed on a good tip. When backing up in a straight line you can go as slooowww as you want, and no deduction in points, which makes it real easy to do.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

@Darin said:

Friend took a driving course before the Calif driving exam. Passed on a good tip. When backing up in a straight line you can go as slooowww as you want, and no deduction in points, which makes it real easy to do.

Yes I had to back up in a straight line and going slow it was easy and especially now since I have a lot
    of actual road experience.
    But the parallel parking is a whole different story. Knowing when to turn the steering wheel and how much
    to get the trailer turning just right is difficult. Going very slow and easy definitely helps but it is still difficult
    especially back then when I had very little experience behind the wheel of a semi and trailer.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

holy cow am i glad we dont have to take the written test to renew up here in Maine. just pay the fee and take an eye exam. there is no way I would pass a written test now. goog grief. i can barely pour cereal in a bowl and remember the milk for crying out loud

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@hammer1 said:

@Darin said:

Yes I had to back up in a straight line and going slow it was easy and especially now since I have a lot
    of actual road experience.
    But the parallel parking is a whole different story. Knowing when to turn the steering wheel and how much
    to get the trailer turning just right is difficult. Going very slow and easy definitely helps but it is still difficult
    especially back then when I had very little experience behind the wheel of a semi and trailer.

Damn and I thought I was something special driving a fork truck like a boss 😒

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the license renewal. My license has to be renewed soon, I haven't even looked into how their going to do it. I'm feeling very confident right now, and maybe even a little cocky. There's a card on ebay up for auction, I'll win it. My license needs to be renewed, they'll renew it. Why, because I'm Double freakin' D.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had to do mine in person last year in April after lockdown started. Had to make an appt, stand in line outside, and they let like 5 people in the building at a time. Eye test, new pic, money, done. Can do renewal online again next time in another 10 years.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Texas renewals were just mail in. But it had been so long since my photo was updated this time I had to go in for a new picture. Next renewal 2026

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.