Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post pictures of patterns please

lsicalsica Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭✭

I love patterns. Beautiful, rare, unusual, and priced much lower than their rarity would suggest. Yeah I know price reflects supply and demand. Yeah I know many aren't "patterns" of anything and we're just struck to collector demand. I read the Judd book too. But, as the "kids" say, I think they're "lit". So post plentiful pics of Washladies, School Ma'rms, Amazonians, and whatever else you got :)

Philately will get you nowhere....

Comments

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only pattern I have found that I liked. The other end of the spectrum, the lower end.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even lower end are pattern tribute or reproduction strikes. For those of us who cannot afford even the "low priced" patterns, these are wonderful and beautiful additions to our collection.

There are several, mostly clandestine, makers of these. You run across them at very low prices occasionally. I think they exhibit 95% of the beauty of the originals. Sometimes the makers will pair an almost faithful reproduction with a non original reverse.

While most look on these with disdain, l like having a few around.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 8:11AM

@boiler78 said:
    Barbers concept for the new dollar coin in 1878

This one looks amazing! I love the Old English font style for E. Pluribus Unum.

You have a wonderful collection! Congrats and thanks for sharing them with us!

• Options
    edited December 2, 2021 8:43AM

Here's one of mine :)

1964 Half Dollar Pattern - by INCO - NGC MS66 POP 0/2/0 - RB 2700 - Ex. Roger W. Burdette & Julian Leidman

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

A handful of my most favorite patterns...Not my coins. I've always loved the Amazonian's, and of course the unique Barber pattern Half Dollar.

• Options
    edited December 2, 2021 8:58AM

@lsica said:
    I love patterns. Beautiful, rare, unusual, and priced much lower than their rarity would suggest. Yeah I know price reflects supply and demand. Yeah I know many aren't "patterns" of anything and we're just struck to collector demand.

Of note, not only are many patterns classified as "fantasy coins" or "pieces de caprice", this is actually the largest category of patterns.

This distinction isn't noted in the guides and I wonder if this holds prices back.

• Options

Very beautiful pieces indeed! This may be of interest. The Double Deuce Proof Peace dollar was labeled as “Possibly a Pattern” in Chase Bank’s 'Moneys of the World exhibit,' 1928 - 1965. The label was applied by its curator Farran Zerbe. The pattern label avoided conflict with Mint records, since no proof coins were officially minted in 1922. This would have been important because of Zerbe’s previous stance regarding coins he believed were illicitly acquired from the Mint prior to 1910. The Zerbe specimen was liberated from the Bank’s exhibit in 1965 by Lester Merkin who gave 15 pattern coins worth $12,480 in trade. The exchange was facilitated by the Bank exhibit’s curator, none other than Don Taxay.

• Options

New at this and having trouble posting pics.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much as I hate to follow @boiler78 ( :) ) because his coins are simply stunning 100% of the time (!!), I can post a picture I have of one of my patterns: J-846, one of the seemingly infinite number of Standard Silver patterns. The coin is graded PR64 RB, ex-Denali. Unlike most True Views, I think the coin is a touch prettier than its photo.

Mark

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 7:52PM

Only one I have, shield Rev of 60

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unique

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:

Unique

holy crap, is that silver or lead die trial

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow said:

@lsica said:
    I love patterns. Beautiful, rare, unusual, and priced much lower than their rarity would suggest. Yeah I know price reflects supply and demand. Yeah I know many aren't "patterns" of anything and we're just struck to collector demand. I read the Judd book too. But, as the "kids" say, I think they're "lit". So post plentiful pics of Washladies, School Ma'rms, Amazonians, and whatever else you got :)

>

5 weeks latter and no takers on your topic ... too bad as I like patterns. Even after 5 Parts of the Simpson sale no one took you up to post a picture? .. it must be the subject line did not catch as I just noted it today.

well let me give it a shot as I have been working on assembling a Type collecting in patterns over several years now.

This is a photo I just posted yesterday on a topic of Shield nickels. My sample of various dies for shield pieces ( one I did pick up on the Simpson sale pt 4)

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file