Home Sports Talk
Options

Urban Meyer calls NFL legal tampering awful

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Urban Meyer has arrived in the NFL and he is voicing his opinion and the media is eating it up. His latest opinion regards the NFL's legal tampering period for free agency. Very interesting article indeed.

Urban Meyer will experience many firsts during his first year as an NFL head coach. Meyer -- who became head coach of the Jaguars on Jan. 14 and is currently going through his first free agency -- made over two dozen transactions during the first several days of free agency, beginning with the league's two-day legal tampering period.

Speaking of the tampering period, Meyer is not a fan of that period of free agency where agents speak on behalf of their players. Unlike college recruiting, when coaches oftentimes visit with prospects inside of their homes, NFL coaches are unable to speak to soon-to-be free agents during the tampering period. But despite the lack of direct communication, many deals are executed during this period before becoming official when the new league year begins. If teams wait until the start of free agency to begin serious negotiations, they are often left behind.

"Yeah, that was awful," Meyer said of the legal tampering period, via ESPN's Michael DiRocco. "I don't agree with it, but no one asked my opinion. I guess in the old days you could bring them in and meet them, have dinner with them, you find out the football intellect, find out their character. The thing you don't [do], I found out, is call someone who has skin in the game because they're going to not quite -- I don't see honest as a very appropriate [word]. So we did a deep dive. Every guy that we signed, we did. ...

"To answer your question, that was awful, and I don't believe it should be that way. Not when you're making organizational decisions. I'm not sure how that rule came about, but to me that's not good business."

Meyer's dislike of the legal tampering period did not appear to slow him and the Jaguars down. Over the past week, the Jaguars signed a slew of players that include running back Carlos Hyde (who played for Meyer at Ohio State), offensive guard Andrew Norwell, receivers Jamal Agnew, Marvin Jones and Phillip Dorsett, cornerback Sidney Jones, safety Rayshawn Jenkins, cornerback Shaquill Griffin, and tight ends James O'Shaughnessy and Chris Manhertz.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a Dirty, backstabbing business. If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen. 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have always thought it was strange how quickly most FA in the NFL sign as compared to baseball. sometimes it takes months to sign a player in mlb. i wonder what the advantage is it signing so quickly?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I've always found the world of sports agents to be interesting. I'm not sure I would want an agent or not. I'm a do-it-myself type person, and I don't think I would want to pay someone millions to do my negotiations for me.

• Options

Or perhaps I would want an agent, to keep these teams from ripping me off and taking advantage of me. I'm undecided on whether I want to hire an agent yet. 🤔

• Options

You know, I remember back in the 90s, I went to the movie theater to see Jerry Maguire starring Tom Cruise. I remember being disappointed because there was a lot of kissing and romance scenes. I hate having to sit through and sweat out a fictional romance in a movie. A gooey fictional romance is not what I wanted to watch!

• Options
    edited March 20, 2021 9:36AM

Oh sure, it had some action, but then it turned right back to being gooey again. Kiss me, hug me, love me, come on man give me some action, kick Jerry in the groin or something Renee!

• Options

Have you ever tried eating popcorn while watching a fictional romance? Not an easy task!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

I actually heard rumors one time that they were going to make a Jerry Maguire 2.

• Options

I'm still undecided on whether I want to hire an agent. I'm suspicious of them, they're very conniving and demanding.

• Options

When your agent gets you a $250 million deal and your stylin' and profilin'.....

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

As he gets fined 200k today for infractions. Buckle your seat belts

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Yes, business just picked up. I think I'll put on my Jaguars snuggie to commemorate this event!

• Options

You never know what's going on inside Urban Meyer's mind. Just look at the man, he's plotting something!

• Options

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Or perhaps I would want an agent, to keep these teams from ripping me off and taking advantage of me. I'm undecided on whether I want to hire an agent yet. 🤔

go with the agent (lawyer)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not going to go into any details, many of which have already been discussed before in other threads. That being said, I've followed the NFL for a long time, and seen college head coaches with no NFL experience try to become successful NFL head coaches, and I don't recall the successful ones taking a path such as Meyer is doing.

A number of things Meyer is doing doesn't feel right to me as far as success winning NFL football games. This is just another one, opening his mouth about something when it shouldn't have been opened.

Meyer will learn or he will have a short NFL career.

Ah but what do i know? Meyer must know what he's doing, right? :p