Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help identifying a Greek coin

This was in a small collection bequeathed to me...I've tried deciphering the Greek but I'm stuck on some of the characters and frankly, other than a college-level acquaintance with ancient history, no knowledge of such things. At least I know it's not a Greek city-state, from staring at auction sites trying to find a match!

Also one other Roman one with identifying info. Says it's Tiberius, but could be anything.

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top coin looks to be a Roman Denarius of Marcus Aurelius, while the bottom coin is a Roman Alexandrian Tetradrachm of Tiberius, in pretty good shape.

• Thanks so much! What's odd is that the top one is in a plastic envelope marked Tiberius and Augustus! I concur from searching it's clearly an Aurelius.

The Tiberius is cool, guess it's not worth a lot from the one auction result I found but makes me want to get a few Athenas and start a collection. I love that owl.

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dedalus said:
    Thanks so much! What's odd is that the top one is in a plastic envelope marked Tiberius and Augustus! I concur from searching it's clearly an Aurelius.

The Tiberius is cool, guess it's not worth a lot from the one auction result I found but makes me want to get a few Athenas and start a collection. I love that owl.

Not sure what auction you looked at, the Marcus A. isn't worth much, too worn. Maybe $20.

The Tiberius is actually really nice, easily $150, the deep scratch by the nose on the reverse hurts it but still.

• Ah I found one for 90 pounds on the Tiberius in similar shape. So yeah, close to your estimate. Nothing earth shattering, but fun to have!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retail markups on ancients tend to be high compared to what you will find on US coins. Try and find some COMPLETED eBay sales of similar items for a realistic valuation.

All glory is fleeting.
  • TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

The flip must have originally been for the Tiberius Tetradrachm, as it also depicts his step-father Divus Augustus on the reverse.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21