Home Sports Talk
Options

Two GOAT's announce retirement on the same day

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tampa, Fla.—Pete Weber and Walter Ray Williams Jr., two of the greatest players in PBA Tour history, announced their respective retirements today, following PBA Scorpion Championship best-of-five match play from the World Series of Bowling XII at AMF University Lanes.

Weber, a 37-time PBA Tour champion, owns 10 major titles, tying him with Earl Anthony for second most in the history of the PBA. Weber, the 1980 PBA Rookie of the Year, is the only player to win the U.S. Open five times as well as the only player ever to win the Triple Crown (PBA World Championship, Tournament of Champions and U.S. Open) twice.

“It’s hard to grasp that I’m done on the National Tour,” said Weber, addressing his fellow competitors after he was eliminated. “In 41 years out here, it’s been awesome. I can still hit the pocket with you guys, but I can’t strike like you guys. It’s been an honor and a privilege to bowl each and every one of you out here.”

Williams holds the all-time record with 47 PBA Tour titles, eight majors among them. He’s been named the PBA Player of the Year a record seven times, the first in 1986 and the last in 2010, when he was 50 years old. Williams won at least one PBA Tour title in 17 consecutive seasons from 1993 to 2010.

“It was nice to have a good tournament at the end,” said Williams. “These young guys are very, very good. I gave it my all today, but I just happened to bowl somebody who bowled really well. Thanks, everybody, for all your support.”

Williams and Weber spent four decades competing against each other on the PBA Tour and rank first and fourth, respectively, in PBA Tour titles.

In their final event, both players qualified in the top 16 to advance to match play in the PBA Scorpion Championship. Both were eliminated, three games to two, by 2021 PBA World Champion Tom Daugherty, with Weber going out in the Round of 16 and Williams in the Round of 8.

Both Weber, 58, and Williams, 61, plan to continue competing on the PBA50 Tour and PBA Regional Tour.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options

Anyone interested in their 'rookie cards', check out '1990 Kingpins' set.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Professional bowling is a fascinating sport, and those are two of the best to ever do it.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Professional bowling is a fascinating sport, and those are two of the best to ever do it.

I would Put Earl Anthony up there as well. My favorite bowler to watch was Mark Roth.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Yes, Mark Roth was fun to watch. One of my favorite Roth moments.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPllVnruRAc

• Options

Watching that shot never gets old.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I saw that on TV when it actually happened

wowser

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

These guys were around back when , if I remember correctly, ESPN used to fill time with stuff like bowling. Legends.

As I said in the bowling thread, I was in a league during elementary, middle school. I wasn't very good, but I loved it.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Anyone interested in their 'rookie cards', check out '1990 Kingpins' set.

My favorite card from that set ...

• Options

You have to see this video of Pete Weber at the US Open. A fan kept trying to throw him off and they go back and forth. Beautiful stuff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V7mTloN1Jdg

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 12:30PM

I remember my brother and I watching pro bowling as kids on some Saturdays. I don't know why we liked it so much, we didn't even bowl much. I do remember Roth and I believe Marshall Holman? I think even Earl Anthony was still around (mid to late 70s) though I don't recall watching him. Good times.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ernie Schlegel was my guilty pleasure

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Walter Ray was a world Horse Shoe Champion before taking up bowling. Pete Weber Jr. had big shoes to fill from his dad, Pete Weber. They both hated to lose. I was fortunate enough to bowl in scratch leagues at Del Rio Lanes, Downey Ca in the 80's and 90s. Glenn Allison bowled there, also Keystone Lanes in Norwalk. Glenn bowled 3 300 games. Don McCune changed bowling forever with the soaker. To bad Pro Bowling did not have the financial support that other pro sports enjoy. I only watch it once in awhile now. Cheers.

• Options

@In4apenny said:
    Walter Ray was a world Horse Shoe Champion before taking up bowling. Pete Weber Jr. had big shoes to fill from his dad, Pete Weber. They both hated to lose. I was fortunate enough to bowl in scratch leagues at Del Rio Lanes, Downey Ca in the 80's and 90s. Glenn Allison bowled there, also Keystone Lanes in Norwalk. Glenn bowled 3 300 games. Don McCune changed bowling forever with the soaker. To bad Pro Bowling did not have the financial support that other pro sports enjoy. I only watch it once in awhile now. Cheers.

I enjoyed watching Dick Weber bowl. Never cared much for Pete.

Somehow over the years, Pro bowling on tv went down the tubes. I know I could never watch two handers.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember watching ABC TV bowling coverage with Chris Schenkel doing the telecast. He was a real good sportscaster for the sport.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I remember watching ABC TV bowling coverage with Chris Schenkel doing the telecast. He was a real good sportscaster for the sport.

I think Nelson Burton Jr was his side kick. They were good

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Yes, Mark Roth was fun to watch. One of my favorite Roth moments.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPllVnruRAc

I always enjoyed watching Roth bowl. He rolled a 299 on TV as well.

Never much cared for Pete Weber but liked Walter Ray, Marshal Holman, Amleto Monacelli, Mike Aulby, and those guys.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember watching Dick Weber on Tv during the weekend. I was in a tournament and got to bowl with Nelson Burton Jr. We did pretty good if memory serves me.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.