Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cross over from BVG to PSA

dtccdtcc Posts: 6

I have a 79 Topps Gretzky card BVG 8.5 and it has subs on the back label of 9/8/9/9 and can tell by the grading number in the 72,000's it was graded early on in the BVG days. I've read that BVG used to be be really strict on grading in the early days compared to BVG today and PSA.

Would it be wise to cross over or crack case and submit raw to PSA? Or leave alone?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

Tough to tell with the pics, but I’m seeing enough corner wear to say leave it.

• Options
    dtccdtcc Posts: 6
    edited March 17, 2021 12:13PM

Okay, thanks for your advice.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing the 8 was for corners?

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2021 4:35PM

You don't lose anything (except the sub fee) by trying to crossover with a minimum grade. If it doesn't hit the mark, they send it back in the BVG slab and you're no worse off.

Beautiful card though!

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@Copyboy1 said:
    You don't lose anything (except the sub fee) by trying to crossover with a minimum grade. If it doesn't hit the mark, they send it back in the BVG slab and you're no worse off.

Beautiful card though!

Yes, but if it doesn't hit your minimum, you'll never know what it did grade because they don't tell you! :#;)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

if it were me, i would leave it just the way it is.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2021 5:01PM

@Copyboy1 said:

Beautiful card though!

This is good advice. To me the corners are not that strong (maybe it is the picts) and that will keep it from grading an 8.5. Maybe you could post better pictures of the corners and that would help determine the potential grade. Right now based on the pictures provided I could see this as a 7.5 because of the corners. They seemed to show some rounding especially the two bottom ones. The good news is I don't see any white on the corners which is a good sign. Here is my 7.5 for comparison. I am hoping your corners look better in person than the scans. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    ETA: The image quality on your card is outstanding.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    I'm guessing the 8 was for corners?

Yes, 8 for corners and 9's for the rest.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2021 5:41PM

I guess then assuming it will get a PSA 8, is that worth more than a BVG 8.5? Ignore half grades with PSA, you rarely will get one. If you do, it's a gift.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    I guess then assuming it will get a PSA 8, is that worth more than a BVG 8.5? Ignore half grades with PSA, you rarely will get one. If you do, it's a gift.

In my opinion, the corners just aren’t strong enough for an 8. I see the top end of this as a 7.

• Options

@JBrules said:

@Copyboy1 said:

Beautiful card though!

This is good advice. To me the corners are not that strong (maybe it is the picts) and that will keep it from grading an 8.5. Maybe you could post better pictures of the corners and that would help determine the potential grade. Right now based on the pictures provided I could see this as a 7.5 because of the corners. They seemed to show some rounding especially the two bottom ones. The good news is I don't see any white on the corners which is a good sign. Here is my 7.5 for comparison. I am hoping your corners look better in person than the scans. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the feedback. My camera is not the greatest.

• Options

@dtcc said:

@JBrules said:

@Copyboy1 said:

Beautiful card though!

Thanks for the feedback. My camera is not the greatest.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2021 8:26PM

Hmm, you’re not kidding about your camera, but these pics do look much better and the corners appear much stronger than the first pic. I’m not sure even at a psa 8 if it’s better than a bvg 8.5 though.

• Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭

PSA announced a couple weeks ago they are no longer accepting crossovers. Suppose to be temporary. That might make your decision a little easier.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@69Cubs said:
    PSA announced a couple weeks ago they are no longer accepting crossovers. Suppose to be temporary. That might make your decision a little easier.

I didn't realize this. Thanks for the info.

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 196 ✭✭✭✭

The subgrades are strong, even though one is below the final grade, so I'd keep it in the BVG case. If you're looking at future value in case you decide to sell, you can highlight the 3 9's and point out that it's only .5 away from mint. If it was an 8.5 with subs of 8.5, 8.5, 8.5 & 8 then a crossover to PSA would probably be more worthwhile. Of course, as stated earlier, you can't submit it as a crossover right now anyway.

You can always submit it to BGS as a review and see if they will bump up the corner grade, which would bump up the overall grade to a 9.

• Options

Thank you everyone for the feedback and guidance. I will keep as is now.