Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Don't believe what it says....

....on the item or the description. It's not a "currency slitter".

I bought it and love it. It's the first that I've seen although these shouldn't be all that rare. I wonder how many were sold.
https://auctionzip.com/auction-lot/lot_1B94849A48

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, what is it? I was very excited when I figured it out.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

It signed and cut 4 note sheets of Large Size National Bank Notes

• Options

That's what it looks like to me.

If I can read the signatures, I should be able to identify the bank.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, I’d love to see it in action.

• Options
    cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2021 3:12PM

Wow, that's a great find!

I don't know if this helps much, but I flipped the image and changed the contrast levels, but it's still difficult to make out.

My website: RICurrency.com
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2021 3:33PM

The last name looks like "McDonald" to me or maybe just "Donald." Maybe the first initial is "F," followed by an "O" and "R"?

The Banks & Bankers Database at SPMC has a lot of officers with Donald and McDonald last names, though from a quick perusal I couldn't find any matches comparing signatures in the archives of Heritage.

• Options

Thanks for the help, Cinch. Could the first three letters be "Jno" for "Jonathan", then "P" or "R", then the "McDonald"? YES! I found the match thanks to Cinch! (Image Courtesy of Heritage Archives)
    https://currency.ha.com/itm/national-bank-notes/erie-pa-10-1902-plain-back-fr-624-the-first-nb-ch-e-12-a-bright-very-fine-from-the-far-northwest-corner-of/a/426-18569.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

• Options

Glad to have helped!

There's a lot going on in that signature! I never would have guessed the first letter was a "J"

• Options
    edited March 17, 2021 3:14PM

It looked a florish or design element more than a letter but a fancy "J" as in "Jno." might be written this way. That made "Jonathon McDonald" the most likely McDonald on the SPMC list. Among the dozens of banks with "McDonald" signers, FNB of Erie, PA was also the closest to the western NY state location where this item was sold. Makes sense.

• Options

Well these guys (One Source Auctions) never shipped the item. I suspect that someone saw this thread and offered them more. I have now inquired, we'll see.

• Options

Ugh, that sucks!

• Options

Maybe not.

I asked and they sent an invoice including the shipping.

I paid and am hopeful. It's 2+ months since the auction. You would think that they would have sent an invoice sooner, if they wanted to sell it.

I'll post more pics if and when I get it and let everyone know how the story ends. I'm still skeptical.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Shipping has been very inconsistent this past year -so I hope it gets there. Good luck!