Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Collectors Club subs...do they look at individual or overall value?

I am getting my 15 card sub ready and am thinking about putting my Topps rookie Gretzky in there. PSA has sent it back to me MINSIZEREQ twice over the years...once about 10 years ago and once about 15 years ago. I gave SGC a crack at it a few months ago and they said it had evidence of trimming.

I don't buy the evidence of trimming as I bought the card as an 8 year old in 1980 from an LCS before Gretzky was "Gretzky" and before grading was even a thing. "If" the card grades, I would say it is a solid 6 candidate. I am also including a rookie Henderson that is an 8 candidate and a rookie Hulkster than is an 8 candidate.

Besides those cards, I am submitting some 76 football cards that I want slabbed. These cards are anywhere between 7 and 9 quality and are of real heavy hitters such as Jack Tatum, George Kunz and Jim Bakken...so real low dollar cards.

I think ordinarily that they might not take the Great One in the 15 CC subs, but I am wondering since I am also including mostly very low value cards, if they will look at the entire sub value?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

The answer is NO... Every card is graded and valued on its own merits. The only time that total value is used is in the calculation of the shipping charge due to the increase of insurance cost.

You can certainly send your Gretzky in on a voucher, but if it grades they should upcharge you to the proper level since they don't grade mid grade gretzky's for $25 which is what the voucher was/is worth with a max declared value of $25. Also, if they damage or lose the Gretzky at PSA, you would only get $249 back.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like your Gretzky is on the small side. That's a shame.

I would not send it in using a voucher.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Bobby24Bobby24 Posts: 51 ✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Looks like your Gretzky is on the small side. That's a shame.

I would not send it in using a voucher.

When I measure it up against my other cards from the set I don’t really see a difference.

It seems to be common for the issue and other members have talked about sending their rookie Great Ones in multiple times before finally getting slabbed.

In fact one of the funniest things I’ve ever read on here was a guy who said his rookie Gretzky had made so many trips to PSA that it had attained status on three separate airlines.