Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1972 Lincoln Cent Weighs 2.83 grams

I have a 1972 Lincoln Cent that is a little beat up but I don't believe it's a dryer coin or acid dipped. It's weighs 2.83 grams and I also performed the test where you dip it in water to weigh the mass. Could this be a foreign planchet? I haven't been able to find anything online for this specific year but there are some out there for other years. I believe this could be struck on Australia 5 cent since the measurements match. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2021 3:51AM

The Australian coin you mention is the same composition (and color) as our nickel. Your cent has the color of a normal US copper (bronze) cent.

Also, was our mint striking coins for Australia in the early 1970s?

Had you considered the possibility that your coin is simply underweight? It does happen on occasion, such as when strip is rolled a little thin.

• Options
    DeobyteDeobyte Posts: 4
    edited March 7, 2021 4:42AM

I have tried to research foreign coins that match the weight and diameter of mine and it seems like there are many possibilities. I may have referenced the incorrect Australian coin when I posted earlier. I have researched if the mint was striking coins and to be honest I'm unsure based on what I've read. This is the closest thing I've found so far

https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/1972-d-1c-lincoln-cent-struck-on-philippine-5s-planchet-ms63-brown-ngc-241-grams/a/60151-91154.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2021 7:50AM

The US mint only struck coins for Australia between 1942-44 and those were silver

The weight specs on a copper us cent is 3.11 grams +/- 0.13 grams. Assuming your scale is calibrated and on a flat surface, you probably have a coin struck on a planchet from a strip that was rolled a little thin.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2021 7:52AM

@Deobyte said:
    I have tried to research foreign coins that match the weight and diameter of mine and it seems like there are many possibilities. I may have referenced the incorrect Australian coin when I posted earlier. I have researched if the mint was striking coins and to be honest I'm unsure based on what I've read. This is the closest thing I've found so far

https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/1972-d-1c-lincoln-cent-struck-on-philippine-5s-planchet-ms63-brown-ngc-241-grams/a/60151-91154.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

So, it's a double error: It's a U.S. cent struck on a Phillipine planchet which is 0.4 g too heavy?

All kidding aside. It looks acid-washed to me. Notice how the features aren't sharp on either side.

There's also a couple corrosion spots so it is quite possible that the coin was "cleaned up" using acid to remove surface corrosion.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing special. Just another corroded Lincoln Memorial cent that is a bit underweight.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    The US mint only struck coins for Australia between 1942-44 and those were silver

The weight specs on a copper us cent is 3.11 grams +/- 0.13 grams. Assuming your scale is calibrated and on a flat surface, you probably have a coin struck on a planchet from a strip that was rolled a little thin.

I agree with this.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could ask why you are weighing an otherwise normal looking cent, but that's your business.

If you are going to scrutinize every coin that closely, be prepared to find some anomolies.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did you find it?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I could ask why you are weighing an otherwise normal looking cent, but that's your business.

If you are going to scrutinize every coin that closely, be prepared to find some anomolies.

If you don't weigh them all, how will you ever know? ;)

• Options

@JBK said:

I weigh every single coin...you never know what you'll find. I'm a beginner so the research is a learning experience for me either way. Thank you for your input!

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Where did you find it?

It was given to me in a bag with a bunch of other coins that my family didn't want.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file