Home Q & A Forum
Options

Another 'I need a new camera' thread..

CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Cameras. I don't get them at all. I don't understand why there are a million different kinds with a billion different SETTINGS.

I don't need it to adjust anything for me. I'll handle the lighting. Just focus and take the picture. The camera I have now adds a yellow tint sometimes and it drives me crazy. For the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would want that, or why they thought it'd be a good idea to include it. Nikon 4500 Coolpix, goodbye. It broke yesterday after the tripod tipped over. Good. I was sick of it.

So i'm in the market for a new one. I have no idea what I'm doing. I bought a Canon Rebel T100 from Walmart today for $350. Thing can't even focus on a quarter. Oh, I need to buy a 100mm macro lens apparently. Ooookk... only 5 million different ones to choose from. Some are $1, some are $1k. No clue why.

Figure I'll return the walmart crap, buy some other 'DSLR body' for much cheaper, and then a 100mm+ lens.. a bulky 6" extension that'll make lighting simply a joy i'm sure..

No idea where to begin with the DSLR. Again, I don't see how one is $25 and another is $1000. All I want is to be able to zoom in & out & for it to focus. Tethering sounds phenomenal too. I don't need a million different settings, I just want it to capture what I see in the preview screen prior to pushing the button. No big deal.

Quality-yes, over-complicated nonsense-no.

My coin pics need to look great... I guess that's the bottom line. Can anyone point me in the right direction...?

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2021 11:13AM

Go into the archives ... you'll most likely find what you're looking for there.

Good luck!

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether it is a point-n-shoot or a DSLR there are still settings that you need to know and understand, including color correction. Your lighting that you use to take the pictures could be causing the issue with the "yellow tint", but I am just guessing here because you have not described your setup. If you want great pics of your coins you need to know how to make some form of adjustments and operate the settings in the camera or they are never going to look great. You stated that you have no idea what you are doing, but you need to be able and willing to learn at least some to understand why the pics come out looking a certain way. I am not trying to be harsh, but I am just being honest. I took photography classes for a few years and I have been photographing coins for several years.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

I hear you. I guess I don't even understand why there's a learning curve at all. Just take the picture.

I get everything just right with the lights and it looks great in the little screen... click.... the end. Why does it seem like I'm asking for a miracle? Am I really this naive?

Imagine if every time you wanted toast you had to go into the toasters settings and tell it what to do :s

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    Go into the archives ... you'll most likely find what you're looking for there.

Good luck!

I was in those all night long.. a million different models & situations...

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being you exhausted that Avenue ... I'd ask on the U.S. COIN FORUM.
    Lots of experts over there.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you just looking for an easy to use point & shoot?

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

your canon will do just fine
    and most P&S cameras , newer ones will also do just fine.
    it is usually the operator who does not take time to read the "destructions" before playing with the toy.
    a new. The T100 is ideal for your use, even to some limitations, the lens it comes with.
    And yes, to take pictures you want, check out a 90 mm tameron macro... perhaps used.
    your camera can be hooked up to a computer and then used with the maus. the SW for it came with the camera and the Instructions. if not go to Canon and dwnld.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

watch this video seminar from ANA. It has all the info you would need to learn how to make great photos, and you'll understand what is essential and what's not.
    https://youtu.be/3_tH0PUYkso

• Options
    mynamespatmynamespat Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

@CoinCoins said:
    I hear you. I guess I don't even understand why there's a learning curve at all. Just take the picture.

I get everything just right with the lights and it looks great in the little screen... click.... the end. Why does it seem like I'm asking for a miracle? Am I really this naive?

Imagine if every time you wanted toast you had to go into the toasters settings and tell it what to do :s

If you wanted to take your DSLR out and take normal pictures, you could put everything on auto and it would be a breeze. Macro photography is a little bit more specialized. You are going to need to educate yourself. Once you learn about the different settings and technique it becomes much more simple.

If I start with a bag of Bunny Bread and Butter, making toast is a breeze. If I am starting with raw ingredients (flour, milk, salt, etc), it becomes much more difficult.

You should be able to take passable photos with your current lens. Just back the camera up until you can get the object in focus. The results won't be as sharp as taken with a macrolens, but it should get the job done.