Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Looking for help on some coins from Norway

Any Norway collectors here? Any squareheads? :D

I have two gold coins from Norway that are raw but both appear AU. Both are dated 1902, a 10 Kroner and a 20 Kroner. The 10 Kroner has a mintage of about 25,000 and the 20 is around 50,000.

In my years of watching auctions and sales the 10 Kr. seems to be much harder to find than the 20 and prices reflected that. I thought I had seen pricing from our host in the past but I can't find anything now except from ATS. The NGC prices seem odd that they are showing the 20 Kr. to be more valuable, for example in XF they have the 10 Kr. at $1,200 and the 20Kr. at $1,650. Neither show up for auctions much and I don't have access to prices at Heritage or Stacks.

It looks like I should probably get these graded for future sale but I am a slab virgin! I don't know if our host will grade or if they need to go ATS? or ANACS

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

A quick check on eBay shows slabbed MS examples of the 20 kroner selling for $775-$875, a raw UNC sold for $550. There's an NGC MS64 for sale right now for $800.

No 10 kroners listed for sale, a raw circ. piece (VF/XFish, hard to tell from the pic) sold for $1,200.

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Thanks Mason, those prices are much closer to what I have seen in the past. My brain had gone into hibernation and I didn't think to check ebay like I used to. I guess I was also hoping the 20 Kr. had jumped in price.
    It looks like it may be worth it to slab the 10 Kr.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is an interesting book by George M Taber Chasing Gold: The Incredible Story of How the Nazis Stole Europe's Bullion, published in 2014, which has a chapter describing the efforts of Norway to protect it's gold during the German invasion and mentions the old Norway 20 kroner coins rolling around on the docks.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television