Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading 1969 Topps Deckle Edge

Hey guys,

I'm looking at sending in several 1969 Topps Deckle Edge cards under the current Swinging 60's special (and have them sit at PSA for a year, no doubt). However, almost every card has an imprint from the printing process. For those of you familiar with these cards, you'll know what I'm talking about, but the best way I can describe it is that it's like the pattern from a bench vise.

Can anyone speak to how PSA regards this defect? I found an old Sports Collectors Daily article from 12 years ago that says the best grade you can get with this imprint is a 5. Is that still accurate?

Any advice you can give is appreciated.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never gotten higher than a 4 with that imprint showing. I was hoping they would treat it like a fold on Topps Posters or Rulers, but even with everything else perfect they were all 4's.

Much crappier looking deckles without the imprint got 5's and 6's. Super tough set.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    charliehustle14charliehustle14 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭

Great info. Thanks Mike. Looks like my stack of '69 Deckle Edges won't make the cut for this sub.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2021 2:56PM

I will check my SGC's when I get home. I have some higher graded SGCs and will tilt them under the light to see if they got hit by "the vise" - which was a perfect description by the way....

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Todd it looks like SGC will go up to a 6 with the vise marks.

For those not familiar with this issue - look by the A in his autograph.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Mike,

Thank you for the information on SGC and the example photo. I tried really hard to get the "bench vise" pattern to show up in a picture, but failed miserably.

got hit by "the vise" - which was a perfect description by the way....
    Thank you sir. I remember seeing this same type of pattern on '81 Fleer Baseball out of the pack back in the day, and that's what it reminded me of at the time. Seems like every Steve Carlton card I got had this.

Now, to throw a monkey wrench in this whole discussion, I had a vague memory of actually submitting an example from this set to PSA a few years back. I had pondered the issue of how this kind of imprint would affect the grade on these cards, and sent one in as a test. Lo and behold, I got this Brooks Robinson back as a 6. Looking at it closely, it does indeed have the flaw common to this issue we have been discussing.

Sorry for my memory lapse. This one was obtained a whole bunch of submissions ago in 2015. Hopefully, this discussion can help others who are considering sending in cards from this set.

Looks like the Deckle Edge cards are going back in my stack to be submitted. I'd be happy with 6's.

Thanks again,

Todd

• Options
    edited March 2, 2021 5:52PM

Happy for the memory lapse and hope you can get 6’s or better! Now I have to go digging for my raw and PSA deckles. Found this nice one looking for a good vise pattern

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Thanks Mike. That is a sweet Rose card! I have one I'll be sending in, but no way it's an 8.