Home Precious Metals

WTB: 2002 krugerrand

Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭✭

My daughter is graduating from HS this year - off to college. When I graduated my father gave me a birth year krugerrand. I want to do the same. It needs to have no numismatic value, I carried mine at times in my pocket. My father meant it as savings account and if you are desperate enough you can sell it. I did sell it. I want the same for her, a fall back piece if you really need it. If you have a line on one please let me know.

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's cool of you.
    I did similar for my son.....same year.
    Only real difference is I did the Australian Lunar Series 1oz for him....just because of some family background/history.
    Year of the Horse

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2021 2:28AM

@Bochiman said:
    That's cool of you.

Nice to hear from you. I hope you are doing well. I just learned Russ passed. It was you and I that met him at some coin show in Seattle. I was truly saddened knowing he passed. 'You Suck' does not have the same punch.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    My daughter is graduating from HS this year - off to college. When I graduated my father gave me a birth year krugerrand. I want to do the same. It needs to have no numismatic value, I carried mine at times in my pocket. My father meant it as savings account and if you are desperate enough you can sell it. I did sell it. I want the same for her, a fall back piece if you really need it. If you have a line on one please let me know.

What a great 'idea/tradition' !!!

Might be difficult to find a 2002 due to the mintage (i.e., 16,469).
    Source

A potential alternative might be her graduation year (i.e., 2021). APMEX is currently pre-selling them.

Note - I am NOT saying that APMEX is offering the best price, or that you should purchase from them. Merely pointing out that the 2021 are currently available.

Good luck with your search. :)

• Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

You may have a problem, it is a 35th Anniversary year for the Krugerand. There are several advertised on Ebay, but all are encapsulated and subsequently way overpriced. Normally you wouldn't see a Krugerand with a $1100.00 or more premium on it, but that is what is being advertised.

Why in the he** people take a bullion coin and encapsulate it I am having trouble understanding. So they can brag that "My Krugerand in my safe deposit box is better than your Krugerand in your Safe deposit box because it's a grade higher". People, these are bullion coins! They have no intrinsic historical value, They are worth the metal content, which for Gold is somewhere around the $1700 - $1800 range today. If the SHTF, and you needed it for food or whatever, do you think that you are going to get more value out it than the Gold Value just because it is pretty? No way! The same with Silver. I see Bullion Silver coins going for 2 -3 times the metal value. Dumb! A small premium is understandable to cover Shipping, handling and dealers profit, but 80% markup or more, no way!

Apologies for the rant,

JMHO

• meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I think its really cool that you would keep the family tradition alive. The 2002 Gold Panda is an interesting coin, maybe worth your consideration. Congrats to you and your daughter!!!

Some info on the 2002 gold panda (it references the 50Y not the 500Y)

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/chinese-coin-prices-detail.aspx?ChineseSetID=887