Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

old calligraphy coin envelopes

sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
edited February 28, 2021 5:10PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

In an earlier thread on asking to show Canadian coins and Tokens, Kyle posted two images of early Canadian coins that had been housed in 2 old manila coin envelopes and inscribed by a wonderful hand. I thought that I had a couple coins with envelopes in the same hand. I would love to know if anyone else had coins in those type envelopes. I'd love to know where they originated and about what yeat the handwriting occurred. From the dates on the 4 envelopes, I'd say they were done in the 1880's. Anyone got any more? My envelopes aren't as clean as Kyle's but still nice. I have no camera, only a cell phone.

Comments

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 7:45PM

Without a doubt, they are from the same collection! I wish there was a date or name on the flip to maybe identify the original source. Thanks for sharing your photos!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2021 7:44PM

The seller from who I bought my two coins also had two others listed, the 1882-H Newfoundland 10c sold, while the 1858 20c did not. If someone is interested though, feel free to send me a message and I can send you the seller's details.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are beautiful!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool... any idea when these were written up?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

My best guess is the 1880's or 90's. The latest of the 6 coins is 1882 and the ones from '58 & 9 show almost no wear or circulation; who knows? If someone had been able to talk to the dealer where the coins were purchased second-hand after the original owner(s), maybe we could get an idea. I'm just wondering if anyone had seen things similar to these.

• Options

@syl said:
    If someone had been able to talk to the dealer where the coins were purchased second-hand after the original owner(s), maybe we could get an idea. I'm just wondering if anyone had seen things similar to these.

I sent the person I bought my coins a message, we'll see if they know any extra details. I'll keep everyone posted.

• Options
    edited March 4, 2021 2:34AM

@Kyle said:
    I sent the person I bought my coins a message, we'll see if they know any extra details. I'll keep everyone posted.

I heard back from the seller, they said:

"I bought them from a coin dealer in NYC in 2007 who purchased them from a NYC apartment estate sale that he had purchased many years previous."

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the script "Pø." looking annotation an abbreviation for portrait?

• Options
    edited March 3, 2021 9:55PM

@messydesk said:
    Is the script "Pø." looking annotation an abbreviation for portrait?

I'm not sure what that stands for. Following "Pø." there is always a detailed description of the reverse of the coin.

"Pø. Crown above; 25_CENTS_1870; All in two branches of maple."
    "Pø. 5 Cents 1858 crowned, in two Branches of maple tree."

• Options

Thank you, Kyle, for the detective work. With the time frames involved, I guess we will never know when the envelopes were written. I know that I bought my two (1859 & 1876) off Ebay anywhere from 5-10 years ago. From the different prices that were put on them, I'd think that they passed from the original owner to a coin shop or yard sale. Even my oldest Charlton('83) has prices well more than what looks to be a price on the envelope (by 3-4X). I think that I'll just stay with my estimate of the writing from the 1880's. Then maybe sold sometime WWI and kept in a box somewhere (maybe NYC) and into a yard sale sometime 2000 ... then a dealer, then Ebay.

• Options
    OliverDePlaiseOliverDePlaise Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

At one time, I decided to go "old school" and put the coins in envelopes.
    I had some fancy white ones with flannel inside to minimize abrasion.

It got old fast. :D

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calligraphy is a beautiful flourish to the written word. Thanks for sharing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

The seller also has a handful of German coins with the same flips.

• Options

Did you get these German ones from the same dealer that you mentioned earlier? I'd sure like to know who the antique penmanship master was and when they were written. Anyway, the 2 that I have I will always cherish.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2021 11:42AM

@syl said:
    Did you get these German ones from the same dealer that you mentioned earlier? I'd sure like to know who the antique penmanship master was and when they were written. Anyway, the 2 that I have I will always cherish.

I don't own the German ones, they are still for sale by the seller I bought my Canadian coins from. When I asked the dealer where he got them initially he mentioned he had a few more coins with these flips.