Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Little help with a 1988 Korea Olympic set please.

All I can find online have a silver colored metal holder with the Olympic ring stamp. This one has a gold colored metal container with a different stamp.

Looking for value to make a fir offer to the owner, which is the estate of a veteran who probably was assigned there.

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

That does not appear to be an Olympic set. It appears that only the stamp refers to the Olympics. It does look like a set that would have been sold to tourists circa 1990, the latest date on the coins.

All glory is fleeting.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea as to current value. The holder appears to have kept the coins very pristine since the time it was issued. Korea has advanced economically since the time those were issued so I wouldn't be surprised if the coins, in that condition, have some value today.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found one on Etsy, asking $15. I've seen others before, lots of souvenir tourist swag in S. Korea. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• If you want I can ask my wife to ask her family about them also. Let me know
    cheers