Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How to Get Glued Cards Out of an Album

I just received an album of 1977 Stars Wars cards that are glued to an album. Does anyone have any techniques to get the cards out with as little damage as possible? These cards are similar thickness as the 1980’s Panini stickers.

I would keep the cards in the album, but it is missing 2 cards. I have a steamer and was going to give that a try.

Apologies if there is another thread on how to do this, but I wasn’t able to find it.

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle

Comments

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 12:12PM

this one gets the soaking pass in my book. i'd go over to n54 and look for threads on "soaking" and perhaps ask if that stock is conducive to a good soak. slap leon in the face while you're there.

anyways, if its and you're up for it, obviously try w the lower valued ones first and then work you're way up to the more prized version.

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they will stay until forever and beyond.

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

I know you can remove Sports Illustrated labels on old SI's with a blow dryer, you could try that.

• lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

Those look like stickers applied to the sticker album. Even if you get them off, what will you attach them too? Like a backing? I’d leave them be.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lbcoach20 said:
    Those look like stickers applied to the sticker album. Even if you get them off, what will you attach them too? Like a backing? I’d leave them be.

yea, if they are actual stickers, scissors will be your only option.

• ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@lbcoach20 said:

yea, if they are actual stickers, scissors will be your only option.

They are “cards” but very thin stock like a sticker. I will give the hairdryer a shot to see if I can loosen up the glue. Some of the cards have light glue but others are pretty saturated.

If I am unable to get the first one out fairly easy I will give up and keep them in the album.

Thanks all!

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle

The first card with little glue came out as soon as the glue heated up from the blowdryer. Great start!

The other pieces have too much glue. The paper on the back of the card began to rip, so I think these cards will continue to live the album. I believe the cards are much too thin for soaking, but I will look into it.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you’ve already ruined that card cut it out of the album and soak it in distilled water. After it floats Pat dry it and put it in the pages of a heavy book. I believe you’ll have better success than a hair dryer.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    Since you’ve already ruined that card cut it out of the album and soak it in distilled water. After it floats Pat dry it and put it in the pages of a heavy book. I believe you’ll have better success than a hair dryer.

I will try it out - thanks!

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

Weird, whoever originally owned this album didn't bother peeling the stickers before putting them in album?

I always liked sticker albums...I currently have all the Topps Baseball Stickers albums from 1981-90 along with an I Love Snoopy sticker album. I'd love so much to someday get the Ducktales and Rescue Rangers sticker albums too!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are cards, not stickers. AFAIK, PSA only recognizes the Spanish (Barcelona) and Costa Rican (I don't recall) versions. Regardless, extracting the #1 Luke successfully should be a profitable endeavor since a 5Q recently sold for $1500 IIRC.

• fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

I’ve had good success removing glued items from scrapbooks using the solvent Heptane. It is sold under the brand name Bestine on Amazon. You can use it liberally to soak the paper (I apply with a small sponge) and then slowly try peeling the item. Be patient as it takes time for the glue to soften, especially older glue. It evaporates quickly, doesn’t damage the paper and leaves no trace. Use in well ventilated area.

@fmclaug11 said:
    I’ve had good success removing glued items from scrapbooks using the solvent Heptane. It is sold under the brand name Bestine on Amazon. You can use it liberally to soak the paper (I apply with a small sponge) and then slowly try peeling the item. Be patient as it takes time for the glue to soften, especially older glue. It evaporates quickly, doesn’t damage the paper and leaves no trace. Use in well ventilated area.

Awesome - I will try this before I soak the cards. It is going to be difficult to cut the cards out because there are cards glued to both sides of the pages.

Taking @fmclaug11 ’s advice, I went to a scrapbooking store and they recommended a product called “Un Do” and it arrived today.

I used it liberally on a card that was saturated with glue on the back. I was able to get the card out, but the front of the card became hideously wrinkled. At this point I think the cards will have to live happily in the album.

Final result once the card dried is below. I think I can get the remainder of the blue off the back, but the front of the card is ruined.

• Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2021 7:20PM

@fmclaug11 said:
    I’ve had good success removing glued items from scrapbooks using the solvent Heptane. It is sold under the brand name Bestine on Amazon.

FYI: Heptane is potentially quite carcinogenic, so wear a mask and gloves if you use it.

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

Try this place https://www.gonewiththestain.com/home.html I never used them but remember a post about them years ago. It was controversial because I think built up card stock. I don’t remember the details but they should be able to remove cards from an album

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here