Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Declared value for potentially altered/counterfeit card?

I used to have many 1986 Fleer basketball cards from before they were desired and so I knew for certain those were authentic (and eventually they all passed PSA grading). But a few years later, after the cards became highly desirable, I traded for a Jordan from a neighborhood collector. I was never quite sure if the card was authentic. Not only that, it has a surface indentation on the back, and I suspect at least one of the corners may be recolored.

As such I never graded that card; at the time even if it turned out to be authentic, if it were altered along with the surface defect meant it wouldn't carry much value, and for me not worth the time/effort/cost to grade.

Fast forward to the present, and after some recent house cleaning I uncovered the card; probably had not seen it in over a decade. Now that the card has risen substantially in all grades, I would be interested in getting a professional opinion on the card. I don't care so much about the dollar value, but it would be nice to put an authentic (assuming it is) and affordable Jordan back into circulation.

Given the card has surface defects, and assuming it is not counterfeit or altered, the best outcome is PSA 5-6. But with the fact that I have little confidence the card is "good" what's a fair value to declare? Let's just put it this way; if I was very confident in the card, it would have went to PSA years ago. Is it possible PSA would outright reject my submission based on potential book value of the card and they believe I lowballed the declared value?

I remember before I stopped collecting seriously, there used to be some type of service called "raw card review" - not sure if this was from PSA or a competitor, or both. But would something like this be a more economical option? From what I recall that service was more intended for in person shows, which of course not are not happening now.

Please advise.

Comments