Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Printed Tickets

I just completed a sale of a collectable sports ticket and it got me to thinking. With the event of electronic tickets are hard copy (non-paper) tickets becoming something to hold on to? If this has already been discussed I apologize.

Comments

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

I collect a few tickets here and there. I've heard two schools of thought from various sellers.

1. Since there will be fewer and fewer printed tickets, collecting will be more focused, there will be more competition for individual cards (especially higher grades), and prices will go way up given that tickets are generally undervalued compared to other sports collectables.

2. Since there will be fewer and fewer printed tickets, current and future generations won't have the connection to them like Gen X, Boomers, etc. do. They simply won't be part of their life experience. So demand will drop and they'll be relegated to a niche.

I certainly don't have the expertise to guess which one will be right. But I wouldn't be shocked to see some investor group realize the scarcity of really high-grade historical tickets and start buying them up like they have in other collectable sectors.