Home Sports Talk
Options

A fake college basketball fan thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am what you might call a fake college basketball fan, meaning I only watch the end of the season, and the conference tournaments and then March Madness. So here we go, I'll be watching from here on, let's get it on!

Comments

• Options

Texas vs Texas Tech is tied at the half 33-33. We got a game here. Who's going to win the battle for Texas, we shall see!

• Options
    edited February 27, 2021 11:07AM

You don't have to be a part-time phony like me to post on this thread, all full-time legitimate college basketball fans are welcome to post here as well!

• Options

It's weird that Virginia is still the defending champions. It seems so long ago that they beat Texas Tech for the national title.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2021 3:34PM

Indiana has no chance, Michigan is all over them like stink on a gorilla!

• Options

One of my favorite college basketball poems. This is a poem for hardcore UNC Tarheel fans. Ok, here we go.

Duke is puke,

Wake is fake,

The team I hate is NC State,

You can't go to heaven in a red canoe because god's favorite color is Carolina Blue!

• Options

Final:

Michigan - 73
    Indiana - 57

• Options

Final:

Texas Tech - 68
    Texas - 59

I was expecting a little more from Texas today, I'm disappointed in the Longhorns. Now get off my lawn!

• Options

The OP of this thread is a phony, a fake, he is a football fan in disguise, he only watches college basketball at the end of the season, don't listen to him!

• Options
    edited February 27, 2021 3:08PM

@doubledragon said:
    The OP of this thread is a phony, a fake, he is a football fan in disguise, he only watches college basketball at the end of the season, don't listen to him!

I don't like the tone of your post, yes it's true, I am a hardcore football fan, but I'm allowed to watch a little college basketball. Now, stay off my lawn!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    One of my favorite college basketball poems. This is a poem for hardcore UNC Tarheel fans. Ok, here we go.

Duke is puke,

Wake is fake,

You can't go to heaven in a red canoe because god's favorite color is Carolina Blue!

One of my favorite signs of all time was a fan at a Duke home game holding up a sign
    that said "Nice brick Chump". Its just pure genius in its simplicity.
    In three words he was able to make fun of an opponents' poorly executed shot while
    at the same time insulting him by calling him a derogatory name. Only in America.
    In England the sign would have read,
    "You have inconceivably erred in your endeavor to successfully execute a field goal
    in the game of skill you are currently engaged in and you appear to be nothing more
    than a lily livered rouge and furthermore I challenge you to a duel at the conclusion
    of this ghastly exhibition at which you appear to be completely unprepared for, you swine!"

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Well then you should stop using the same CU name as the OP, and stop using the same avatar, or you'll have no credibility.

• Options

@Darin said:

@doubledragon said:

Duke is puke,

Wake is fake,

One of my favorite signs of all time was a fan at a Duke home game holding up a sign
    that said "Nice brick Chump". Its just pure genius in its simplicity.
    In three words he was able to make fun of an opponents' poorly executed shot while
    at the same time insulting him by calling him a derogatory name. Only in America.
    In England the sign would have read,
    "You have inconceivably erred in your endeavor to successfully execute a field goal
    in the game of skill you are currently engaged in and you appear to be nothing more
    than a lily livered rouge and furthermore I challenge you to a duel at the conclusion
    of this ghastly exhibition at which you appear to be completely unprepared for, you swine!"

😂😂😂😂😂😂 The rivalry between Duke and UNC is very entertaining. When UNC plays at Duke, the Duke fans will stick their hands out into the UNC players face trying to get into their heads.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Well then you should stop using the same CU name as the OP, and stop using the same avatar, or you'll have no credibility.

That man is an imposter, and this isn't the first time he's tried to derail one my threads! I just wonder if there's a stevek imposter out there somewhere? 🤔

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

That man is an imposter, and this isn't the first time he's tried to derail one my threads! I just wonder if there's a stevek imposter out there somewhere? 🤔

In this thread i was just about to describe my joyous day of bird watching in the park, but now I'm not going to.

• Options

I'll be covering a few college basketball games today, getting ready for some of the conference tournaments coming up. I'll be working this thread today in between my eBay activity, and other various activities that occupy my time on this decent looking Sunday, partly cloudy, 20% chance of rain, and hot dog on a bun.

• Options

I'm watching Villanova vs Butler. I know that no one cares. I see that, I know that.

• Options

No. 8 ranked Villanova was 15-3 and they just lost to an unranked Butler team that was 8-13.

• Options

Up next, Michigan State vs Maryland!

• Options
    edited March 1, 2021 2:53AM

Wow, the Fighting Tom Izzo's aren't good this year, usually their one of the best teams in the nation. What happened to the fighting Tom Izzo's this year?

• Options
    edited March 1, 2021 2:52AM

The Fighting Tom Izzo's are losing 47-38 to Maryland in the second half right now. I know, nobody cares.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2021 2:48PM

Maryland - 73
    Fighting Tom Izzo's - 55

Final

• Options

I know everyone is anxious to know who won the Iowa vs Ohio State game so here's the final score of that game.

Iowa - 73
    Ohio State - 57

• Options

Oh sorry, i was looking for the Schmidt-Brett debate thread.

Never mind. Carry on.....

• Options

@stevek said:

No, wait, come back, this thread needs visitors! I'm so lonely in here.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

This is stevek's cat. I'll come back later and post because that bird looks tasty.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

This is stevek's cat. I'll come back later and post because that bird looks tasty.

Dang it, I knew it was too good to be true. Maybe tomorrow we'll have an actual human visitor. Good night fluffy, enjoy your bird.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon It is very late at night, and I just stopped in to visit you in this thread. I had fun. I might return tomorrow.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    @doubledragon It is very late at night, and I just stopped in to visit you in this thread. I had fun. I might return tomorrow.

Finally, a human visitor, an actual real human visitor! Thank you for stopping by, you're always welcome back anytime. This thread will be running until the college basketball season is officially over, we'll be open 24 hrs a day!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

Unless we somehow pull off some four in a row miracle in the SEC tournament, it looks like there's no reason for me to care about this year's NCAA Tournament...if indeed we do have one.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember mentioning this same thing before...... I am surprised that I don't watch more college basketball. Because in many ways it often more closely resembles the way I love the game being played.

The last time I remember really being into college basketball was 1996. UMass got to the final four with Marcus Camby. As anyone here from Massachusetts knows, this was huge. I was twenty years old. I remember the decade or so before this I really loved college basketball. Looking back on it, a lot of what I loved was based on getting to know the players, like you do in professional sports. That is obviously not possible anymore with the elite teams. But I imagine there are still plenty of college teams with a lot of seniors. They just don't get on TV much. But the tournament usually has a couple teams that have a bunch of seniors, and are good because of the continuity and chemistry that has developed. This is my favorite type of team.