Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Jaw Dropper Alert" - Enter With Caution If You Have Weak Ticker?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I broke a self-implied rule with this new purchase as it's something I never thought I would ever buy. All my collecting life I've stayed away from any engraved award medals since most all seen are dogs which have seen a variety of abuse. Usually when encountered they have been extremely mishandled showing a multitude of molestations such as heavy hairlines from cleaning, rim dings, etc. This is the exception as I have never seen any like this a superb proof like gem with lovely patina which doesn't even have a fingerprint. Along with really liking the obverse design it just instantly spoke to me and made my wallet wiggle.

Enjoy! :)

1885 San Francisco "Mechanics Institute" Award Medal, Silver, 49mm Diameter

More info:

UNITED STATES. San Francisco, California. Mechanics' Institute silver Award Medal. Engraved and awarded to Weed & Kingwell in 1885. (49mm, 43.50 g, 12h). By A. Kuner.

MECHANIC'S' INSTITUTE, Columbia standing facing upon base featuring "MI" (Mechanics' Institute) monogram; she presents laurel crown to personifications of industry—with hammer, anvil, gear, and compass—and of agriculture—with plow, sickle, bushel, grapes, palette, and harp; in background, locomotive crossing stone bridge and steamship sailing in the bay; SAN FRANCISCO in exergue / INDUSTRIAL EXHIBITION / AWARDED TO, Weed & Kingwell / "Best Plumbers Goods" elaborately engraved in two lines; decorative scroll work above and below; all within laurel wreath; 1885 in cartouche in exergue. Edge: Plain.

Gem Mint State. Extremely brilliant and prooflike, with very colorful toning throughout. A popular series and very rare when encountered this attractive and problem free.

The Mechanics’ Institute in San Francisco was originally established as a vocational school for unemployed miners in 1854, just a few years after the gold rush and California statehood. Without the presence of facilities such as universities and public libraries, it served as one of the only sources by which one could attain a more advanced education in a trade. In this role, the institute was instrumental in the formation of the University of California in 1868, along with its eventual public university system. The institute is still extant, though now mostly acts in a different role, housing a vast library as well as serving as a cultural center and as a home to the oldest continually operating chess club in the United States.

No stranger to technical prizes at industrial shows, the California Brass Works—with Joseph H. Weed and Vincent Kingwell as proprietors—was established in 1851 by Gallagher & Weed and recognized as one of the leading firms in this branch of trade. Located at 125 1st Street in San Francisco, their operation is summarized by this print advertisement from the 1883 Strangers’ Guide to San Francisco and Vicinity:

"Manufacturers of all kinds of Brass, Composition, Zinc and Babbit Metal Castings. Church and Steamboat Bells. Also, a full assortment of Steam and Water Cocks and Valves, Hydraulic Pipes, Nozzles and Hose Couplings, etc. Brass Ship Work, Spikes, Sheathing Nails, Rudder Braces, etc. Agents for Siebert’s Eureka Lubricator."

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!!!

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Extremely exquisite, I can understand your exceptional exception

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! My cardiologist will be billing you directly. :)

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well titled, beautiful B)

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow nice award medal,

with that much auction description, you probably had to pay dearly

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of details on that one.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is in exceptional condition for that kind of medal. A real find!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exceptional and worthy of breaking all the rules.

peacockcoins

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. It certainly is Beautiful. Glad you pulled the trigger. Lol ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat medal.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, there goes the blood pressure.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 11:49AM

Congrats on an amazing, and historic medal @Broadstruck!

That was on my watch list and I noticed it had just sold. It's awesome that you picked it up.

I've been admiring it for a long time but it's outside of my core collecting areas which have been taking up a lot of budget recently.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm flush with excitement!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful medal! To remain in that condition, what do you think is the most likely scenario?

1. The recipient and his heirs treasured it, and made a conscious effort to preserve it,

or
    2. It was immediately put into a desk or dresser drawer, and forgotten about for decades.

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love everything about it! Congrats!!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

My jaw is dropped, but my heart survived. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful piece.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice piece!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

History and eye appeal are motivating factors in exonumia! Great pickup

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronzemat said:
    Well titled, beautiful B)

Most assuredly A. Kuner should have become Chief Engraver at the U.S. Mint somewhere in his career.

That is a most beautiful creation.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I take medication for that. Beautiful medal. Design flourish is great. Now I need to read about A. Kuner. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice medal.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty !
    Back in 1885, Weed & Kingwell had the goods.....I'll tell you that !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file