Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My First Classic Silver Commemorative! — New Pickup + some history & GTG

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2021 12:17PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Been collecting for about two decades and this is the first silver commemorative I've ever owned. I've had my eyes peeled for a Bay Bridge, Albany or Long Island for awhile now and this one caught my attention. Why Long Island? I have roots and family there and I can appreciate a coin that recognizes that part of the world.

When I bought it, I didn't know who the men nor the ship were, but after doing a little Wikipedia research I've learned that the men represent a Dutch settler and an Algonquian tribesman. The Algonquians being natives to the area, and still in existence as the Shinnecock Indian Nation out near the Hamptons. The Dutch being the first Europeans to build a settlement on Long Island on land purchased from the tribe, at Jamaica Bay (and of course the founders of New Amsterdam).

There was even a NY Times article about the coin back in 2002, which noted, "both sides were created by Kenneth Weinman, the son of the famed sculptor and medalist Adolph A. Weinman, who designed the old Mercury dime," which was a rather unexpected fact.

Anyway, thank you for attending my history lesson and feel free to GTG if you wish.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 8:19AM

Very nice!

I look for South Carolina related tokens, exposition medals, coins, etc... on occasion.

Need to make it a priority. Love and understand the connection to history.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 8:57AM

These guys below modeled for the obverse design...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up. I too appreciate the early comm halves and have a few, Lincoln, Grant, Columbus. Low mintages are a plus. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file