Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PWCC Consignment Question

I’ll ask this about PWCC, but the question applies to all eBay consignment sellers.

Let’s say PWCC sells a $2000 card for me. Their all inclusive fee is 11% at this price point.

It seems like the eBay fees are 12.5%.

I understand PWCC likely gets a better deal with eBay, but how much can they be making on this transaction? What am I missing?

Comments

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

They’re not just getting a slightly better deal, they’re getting a MUCH better deal. They also make a little off the shipping charges. It’s not a ton, but it adds up. Also, eBay caps fees, so on big ticket items, they’re making more.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batpig said:
    Also, eBay caps fees, so on big ticket items, they’re making more."

They don't cap the fees any more since they started the Managed Payments thing.

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:

@Batpig said:

Didn’t realize that.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:

@Batpig said:

Are you completely sure about that? I'm pretty sure that my fees for a $4k sale recently were only $250....plus the other small payment fee. I do have an Ebay store, though.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Any card that you think will sell for more than $1000, you should never sell on Ebay.....for multiple reasons, including a better fee rate. I can vauch for PWCC's services.

• Options

And as long as I'm hyping PWCC.........you can set up a PWCC Vault account and when you purchase a high dollar item from Ebay, you can choose to ship it there. PWCC is in Oregon, so they have no sales tax.

• Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

Does it have to stay in the "vault" forever / until its sold / etc...
    Or can it be shipped to your home state?
    Do you have to wait a while before it can move - or can it move at all?

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    Any card that you think will sell for more than $1000, you should never sell on Ebay.....for multiple reasons, including a better fee rate. I can vauch for PWCC's services.

Better fee rate only applies in some circumstances. I know I have sold many items over $1k with no issues.
    Circumstances are different from person to person. $1k card to one guy is like a $10k card to someone else.

Sending to PWCC you have to wait a couple months for your money.... yes, I know they will front you up to 50% of the value in some instances but not all.
    You decide you want to sell a card that is "hot" right now. By the time you get it there and it gets listed it might not be so hot anymore or you have 20 other people thinking the same way and they have 21 of the same card listed ending at the same time.

• Options

@sjjs28 said:
    Does it have to stay in the "vault" forever / until its sold / etc...
    Or can it be shipped to your home state?
    Do you have to wait a while before it can move - or can it move at all?

When it gets to the PWCC Vault, you can elect to ship it to yourself immediately, or whenever you want.

• Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@billwaltonsbeard said:

Better fee rate only applies in some circumstances. I know I have sold many items over $1k with no issues.
    Circumstances are different from person to person. $1k card to one guy is like a $10k card to someone else.

Sending to PWCC you have to wait a couple months for your money.... yes, I know they will front you up to 50% of the value in some instances but not all.
    You decide you want to sell a card that is "hot" right now. By the time you get it there and it gets listed it might not be so hot anymore or you have 20 other people thinking the same way and they have 21 of the same card listed ending at the same time.

When I said 'more than $1000', I'm referring to PWCC's fee. At the $1000 mark, it drops to 12%, which is lower than using Ebay/Paypal.

When auctions are complete, you receive your payout in the middle of the following month.

If you're trying to sell a high dollar card that might have 20 other copies for sale at the same time, then yeah, I might choose Ebay, just to have more control of the timeframes.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only do you pay less for commissions thru PWCC but on their sales they get more for the same card than other sellers....in some cases it is not a small difference in the least,

• Options

Unless someone has a personal vendetta against them.....or has incorrect info.......I honestly don't know why anyone wouldn't want to use a consignment service instead of Ebay at this point.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2021 12:30PM

I think the nice thing about PWCC, especially for high dollar items is that you don't have to worry about any shenanigans or returns/disputes opened by the buyer. YOu get your money and PWCC will deal with the BS. And it will probably sell for more than listing it yourself.

• Options

@billwaltonsbeard said:

When I said 'more than $1000', I'm referring to PWCC's fee. At the $1000 mark, it drops to 12%, which is lower than using Ebay/Paypal.

When auctions are complete, you receive your payout in the middle of the following month.

If you're trying to sell a high dollar card that might have 20 other copies for sale at the same time, then yeah, I might choose Ebay, just to have more control of the timeframes.

I understand their fee structure and I don't disagree that it can be a savings. Thing is, I can sell a $4k+ item on my own and it will be cheaper than what they charge with the cap that I have on my fees having an Ebay store.

The real benefit is not having to deal with returns which I have been fortunate to have not had to deal with on high $$ items. I would say not having to deal with the shipping is good as well, but I first have to ship it to Oregon anyhow, unless it is already in the vault.

Getting a card there, waiting for the following month's auction to end then getting the payment another two weeks later ends up being about 2 months total. Personally I wouldn't care but I see many people complaining about waiting 4-5 days to get money from Ebay under managed payments. I can't imagine how bunched their panties would be waiting on that payment, lol.

Now, all that being said, I would have higher dollar items sent to them to be sold. Just 2 weeks ago I reached out about a $30k card. The price of the card has now dropped below $20k. There have been a ton more listed with several coming out of the PWCC vault and I would assume in their March auction there will be even more.

I guess I just am disagreeing with you on the idea of sending "all" items over $1k or more. I think it will vary per individual and could make sense for some and not make sense for others. Timing and a little luck sure won't hurt either!

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Never used the vault but your saying if I win a card on eBay (from pwcc or any seller?) I can send to the vault and avoid the sales tax? Then 1 month later I can request they ship the card to me correct? What/how is the fee determined that pwcc charges me at that point? Let’s say it is a 76 Payton psa 9 that I pay 10k for

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

If you send to their vault; do you still pay the storage fee's while waiting for the sale? for example If I sent a 10k card, that I priced at 15k. What is the process?

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

@Batpig said:
    They’re not just getting a slightly better deal, they’re getting a MUCH better deal. They also make a little off the shipping charges. It’s not a ton, but it adds up. Also, eBay caps fees, so on big ticket items, they’re making more.

Ebay USED to cap fees. Those days are over. I sold a card on Ebay recently for $8,500. Fees weren't capped. I paid through the nose for that priviledge.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@jfkheat said:

@Batpig said:

Are you completely sure about that? I'm pretty sure that my fees for a $4k sale recently were only $250....plus the other small payment fee. I do have an Ebay store, though.

Up until recently their maximum fee was $750. This is their current fee structure as copied from the site. "12.35% on total amount of the sale up to $7,500 calculated per item
    2.35% on the portion of the sale over $7,500"

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@jfkheat said:

@Batpig said:

I sold a high dollar card recently and there was zero cap. They got me for every penny they could.

• Options

@bobbyw8469 said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@jfkheat said:

@Batpig said:

I sold a high dollar card recently and there was zero cap. They got me for every penny they could.

Do you have an Ebay store subscription?

• Options

@jfkheat said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@jfkheat said:

@Batpig said:

Up until recently their maximum fee was $750. This is their current fee structure as copied from the site. "12.35% on total amount of the sale up to $7,500 calculated per item
    2.35% on the portion of the sale over $7,500"

Ok, I had to go look. I sold an item for $3,999.99 and my fee was $290.77. I would have to dig deeper but to me, this suggests a cap as normally I'm at 9% fee.