Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Protective sleeves for bank notes - PVC or not?

Trying to understand this. I’m about to order plastic protective sleeves for my old bank notes. In coins, I know to stay away from PVC in holders. But, some of the plastic bank note sleeves seem to show PVC and state that they won’t damage the bills. I’m looking at the BCW brand. Sure could use some thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2021 6:42PM

You dont want PVC, it will damage the notes long term.

BCW is a good brand, i use them regularly, their sleeves are polypropylene, not PVC. SuperSafe is another good one.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

PVC = Bad
    Mylar = Good

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

PVC & such acid chemicals react with the notes over time. Sometimes the "Free" will get deleted (or rubbed off) so some labels so you will see PVC-f or PVC__ etc but most "Museum grade" currency sleeve packages should have "PVC-Free." And as "mbwizkid" has noted elsewhere- you can find anything (including mislabelled currency sleeves) on "Planet eBay."

BCW, Supersafe, Lighthouse & other "acid free" top loader, _rigid or semi-rigid _holders/sleeves are what you want. Be sure you get the right size too (if it's for regular small USD notes- look for regular US notes, not "Fractional nor "Large Size" formats).

Stay away from Chinese sellers ($0.05 to 0.10/piece) as the good ones should be about $0.40 to $0.50 per piece. The cheaper packages usually means cheap, super thin (very flimsy 2mm) holders which means you cannot hold the note casually & not expect some mishandling/degrading of your banknotes should you take them out of your binder (or rearrange your notes due to an addition). Trust me, get the little more expensive sleeves!

• Options

Thank you, acid free/PVC free it is. Appreciate your help.