Home Autographs Forum
Options

HELP!!! I have a 1929 autographed baseball. Anyone recognize any signatures? I am puzzled.

I inherited this baseball from a friend's family. I know that it has multiple minor and major league baseball players autographs circa 1929. Pictures can be viewed in the attached zip file. I am wide-open for any information or advise that anyone can share with me.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any way you can post the actual pics instead of making everyone download the photos you their device?

• Options

Yes I will try now. Thanks.

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

Sorry for the large pictures. I am doing the best that I can. I want to "do the right thing" with this baseball, possibly donate to someone or some place than can preserve and appreciate it. I just do not know what I have here, if anything, and appreciate any help.

• Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2021 5:07PM

I can identify Clarence "Bubber" Jonnard in the 5th picture. The one below looks like Jimmy Archer but they never played MLB together and in fact Archer played his last game in 1918 and Jonnard his first in 1920.

Possibly Kansas City Blues minor league team. According to Wikipedia the 1929 team is considered one of the greatest minor league teams of all time (111-59)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Blues_(American_Association)

Can't find a roster online so far but that would probably get you a lot of the names.

EDIT: The "Hank" at the top of one of the panels I'm matching to a Hank Erickson (Cin, 1935) cut for sale I found online.

• Options

Thank you so much for your time and sharing your knowledge with me. This is very helpful.
    Ken

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 2:51PM

Signature in green at bottom in first picture appears to be "Butch" Henline, Toledo O. 1929

Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Henline

Here are a couple pictures from eBay listings (remember prices are sellers' asking prices, not necessarily their real value)

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 5:12PM

Also first photo says
    E.H. Zwilling
    Manager KC Blues

This would be Dutch Zwilling of the Kansas City Blues

"The Blues were managed by 40-year-old former major league outfielder Edward Harrison (Dutch) Zwilling, who led Kansas City for nine seasons. Zwilling is in the trivia books on two counts. Of the thousands of players in major league history, his name is last alphabetically. He is also one of only two men who played for three major league teams in the same city in the 20th century. Dutch played for the Chicago White Sox in 1910, the Chicago Whales in the Federal League in 1914-15 and the Cubs in 1916...Dutch played for Indianapolis and Kansas City, then began managing in 1926 at Lincoln (Western). He was named skipper of the Blues in 1927, finishing third that year..."

@kdoc63 said:

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's up with the red and black stitches? I never noticed that before. Was it standard for that time period?

• Options

Wow. So it seems I have a baseball with different signatures from managers and players from the minor league Kansas City Blues and Toledo Mud Hens.

• Options

I think I have identified a signature. My first one on the ball. I believe that **Bruno Betzel **signed it. Christian Frederick Albert John Henry David Betzel was born on December 6, 1894, in Chattanooga, Ohio. The six names were from his uncles who each insisted on being included. The nickname of Bruno came from a St. Bernard that followed him around as a child. He had a long career in baseball. Beginning in 1911 and ending in 1939.