Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What Once Was Lost, Now Is Found

I spent about 15 years trying to find a Clement VI medal like this one. I finally found one, from a German vendor, last October. Took about 4 months to get here! Thought it was lost. Anyway, this medal is a recast, I believe, from the late 18th, early 19th century, when such recasts were popular. A fairly poor one, admittedly, and may even have been part of a series featuring the handing off of the Keys of the Kingdom. Nevertheless, 15 years before finding even this one. Happy camper, me.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• angelo43angelo43 Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Sending some older ones to Heritage in a couple weeks for auction Keep a lookout for them

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@angelo43 I certainly will.

DPOTD
  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you know when the original medal was first cast? Was it 1342-52 or much later?

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth I would hesitate to speculate. Theoretically, I suppose, the original would have been cast during the time of the actual papacy, but I have seen the reverse on other recasts. The original may have been cast for a series much later in time.

DPOTD
  • IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

The medal as an art form did not exist (excepting a couple of precursors) until Pisanello invented it c. 1438/9, and the earliest known contemporary medal of a pope is for Nicholas V (1455).

This piece is from a large "restitution" series of papal medals, which Modesti identifies as Italian and from c. 1590/1600 (CNORP V, no. 1889). There were 13 stock reverse designs that were used to cover the entire series of pontiffs.

@Iosephus Well darn, I knew you would get back with the answer!

DPOTD