Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help me grade these Football Cards (1979 - 1982)

Have a number of football cards sitting in a box and I think these are the ones with a little value based on the PSA Price Guid - worth getting officially graded and thoughts on grade?

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd save your money - I don't think you have anything higher than a 5. Nice star power, and nice memories. But a card saver or top loader is more the call for this group.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

I'm no expert in those years or specific players, but there are quite a few dinged corners, creases, and edge / surface issues in those pictures. Not sure you'd fare better than PSA 5 or 6 on them - maybe on the Too Tall, though it has a pretty bad corner ding - so grading costs may exceed the sale prices.

Jim

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021 8:02AM

These would all fall into the category of "well loved" cards.

While well loved cards aren't particularly good candidates for grading, they do tell a story that a Gem Mint card could only dream about. As Bill Murray says in Caddyshack after a conversation with the Dalai Lama, "so you got that going for you".

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great cards man. If they were 50's and 60's cards or older I'd say absolutely go ahead and grade them. But being late 70's/early 80's cards there is a pretty big supply of them available in the higher grades, and therefore lower grades aren't worth the time/effort/money to get them graded. But like others said, don't be discouraged and throw them out, they are cards of some legends. Put them in a card saver, or top loader, and enjoy.

jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

Thanks for confirming guys - it's what I expected.

Now, about my Garbage Pail Kids...

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@DrChris said:

>

Now, about my Garbage Pail Kids...

Garbage !!

• Options
    parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

If you are looking to get them graded and try to sell them now then you definitely wouldn’t add any value to them. If they are cards that you could possibly sell 20-30 years down the road then grading now wouldn’t be a terrible idea. They would be preserved much better in a slab. The grading cost certainly outweighs the current value but if $300 now doesn’t hurt your wallet, go for it!