Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pokémon cards

I’ve been a collector of all kinds of cards for decades...I had heard that Pokémon cards are sky rocketing on prices and checked out to see what I had from years ago...I uncovered about 350 holo’s I had from the first 2-3 years of from when they first came out..have 15 charizards from various issues mainly the unlimited ones..2 gold star ones..German first edition etc....when I got these they went right into a penny holder and card saver after opening the pack...looking at the market prices it would cost a fortune to have these graded....I read that a certain card auction house would submit the cards to PSA for me and cover all fees if I agree to have them place them in their auction and pay them the grading fee price along with their commission when the cards sell...I think this may be the only way to go as I believe the cards would not be graded below a 9 with the majority being 10’s.... all cards have never really been touched..no nicks etc and borders are pack fresh new ...any suggestions ? I’d appreciate any input ...many thanks ! Walt

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Walt. Sounds like a big time collection.

Not sure about the auction houses, but you could send in a few to be graded and then sell them off to fund the rest of the grading.

The grading turnaround times are S L O W right now, except the top two tiers. So grading 350 will either take a year or cost a fortune. Good luck. Please share some pics when you have time.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Thanks for the tip Mike... I think I’ll try a few and see how it goes... maybe Super Express ?..$200 per card

• Options

• Options

I think you can go cheaper. I just sent in 4 nice Charizards on the $75 this week. If you hit the mother lode, they will tell you they want to upcharge you.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Thanks ..I’ll give that a shot ..

• Options

Love the gold stars and the shadowless!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

The German firstie looks great too.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Thanks. None of the cards have ever been handled... I put them from the pack to holders as soon as I pulled them... that was back in 1999. I had 3 small girls back then and they loved Pokémon. Bought tons of packs for like $1-$2...boxes were only like $30 then... literally have a couple thousand cards ..maybe 400 foils...not too many first editions.. didn’t know there was a difference then...

• Options

My son and I got into them a few years ago. He liked the new ones and I liked the old ones. I was teaching him about grading too. Gave him a bunch of 8’s that were worth $10 bucks or so then. Now they are $$$. Hahaha. Glad I kept the 9’s and 10’s ;)

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

That’s great ! We would get other issues also..along with Japanese issues and promos .. did it for maybe 3 years...this is just one box I have of foil cards... have 2 more..all in sleeves and holders ..

• Options

• Options
    edited February 22, 2021 5:46PM

It was a lot easier when grading was $6 a card on the specials and they’d come back in a month.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Sure was.. it’s been quite a while since I sent cards in... was one fee like $18 per card...they didn’t change the price if it was graded a 5 or a 10...all about the money now even though it takes the same amount of time grading a $2 card or a $10,000 one. A card is a card when it comes to grading ...

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wkocor said:
    Sure was.. it’s been quite a while since I sent cards in... was one fee like $18 per card...they didn’t change the price if it was graded a 5 or a 10...all about the money now even though it takes the same amount of time grading a $2 card or a $10,000 one. A card is a card when it comes to grading ...

You're just lucky they don't send the card back ungraded because you violated the terms of service.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@Wkocor said:

Yes, a card is still a card, but it becomes a valuable card (more-so) after grading, so now they take a commission per se for creating this value..

Your German 1st and Shadowless are going to be $200 subs if they are a min PSA 8. I'm curios to see the back of your cards, as that is really the easiest way to tell condition due to white showing.

• Options

Took the best that I could. That’s the German first then shadowless ..tried it without getting the reflection ..

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

The Shadowless is killed per se with the top and bottom edge issues and I see some left edge issues too so $75 submission tops. German is looking really nice assuming that there isn't anything hiding in the reflection and the front surface is good. That probably is a $200 sub. Keep in mind that you have to submit different prices levels separately, which mean separate shipping fees on the return.

Post the backs of the Unlimited/base2 and Gold stars if you want an opinion. The Gold Stars could be $200 subs as well.