Home Sports Talk

Ike Taylor says pocket passers are becoming extinct

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

During an interview with TMZ Sports about Big Ben needing to call it quits and retire, Ike Taylor made a comment and said pocket passers are becoming extinct. Do you think this is true?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ex-steeler-ike-taylor-advises-ben-roethlisberger-to-shut-it-down-says-qb-would-be-picked-last-in-division/ar-BB1dUcoc

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

absolutely not. A team that has a great quality pocket passer has a QB for the next 15 or so years. a mobile QB, the track record is not nearly as good. they obviously tend to get injured more frequently. there is also, usually a reason they are running. they may have a poor OL, or, they may not be able to process information fast enough. when a QB is not mobile, they have to get the ball out in 2-2.5 seconds. that is not a lot of time to take the snap, assess the defense and go through progressions. scrambling gives the mobile QB more time to process this information. it also gives the OL a much greater opportunity to get flagged for offensive holding, or illegal man down field.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady says no

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew Tom Brady would disagree with Ike Taylor. 😂😂

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    absolutely not. A team that has a great quality pocket passer has a QB for the next 15 or so years. a mobile QB, the track record is not nearly as good. they obviously tend to get injured more frequently. there is also, usually a reason they are running. they may have a poor OL, or, they may not be able to process information fast enough. when a QB is not mobile, they have to get the ball out in 2-2.5 seconds. that is not a lot of time to take the snap, assess the defense and go through progressions. scrambling gives the mobile QB more time to process this information. it also gives the OL a much greater opportunity to get flagged for offensive holding, or illegal man down field.

Correct. Why does Tom Brady move the ball better than anyone and yet he doesn't run? Because he sees the play better, reads the defense better, and makes quicker and correct decisions better.

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@craig44 said:

Correct. Why does Tom Brady move the ball better than anyone and yet he doesn't run? Because he sees the play better, reads the defense better, and makes quicker and correct decisions better.

He is the GOAT for a reason 🔥

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm going to step out on a tenuous limb and say the next time anyone cares what ike taylor has to say will be the first time

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i'm going to step out on a tenuous limb and say the next time anyone cares what ike taylor has to say will be the first time

Ike Taylor? I thought it was Ike Turner.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought is was President IKE (Eisenhower) :)

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'd listen to a box of mike and ike before i'd listen to ike taylor

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite Ike of all time

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Tom Brady says no

Yeah, but what's he done lately? Oh wait...

@galaxy27 said:

FACT! 😂😂😂

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the current trend in the NFL is away from a drop-back pocket passer to a QB who is more mobile. we can bring Brady into the discusiion, but he is a generational type QB who really falls outside of the parameters because he has other skills which lift him over the discussion. for the most part, all you have to do is look at which Teams are successful and what their QB style is.

drop-back pocket passers with average skills will not make it, think Sam Darnold.

as long as the NCAA is feeding the NFL mobile QB's who can play at a high level, the trend is set. I'll watch in the upcoming NFL Draft to see which Teams make a stand and pick the drop-back guy. it won't happen in the early rounds, maybe not at all.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the overall attrition rate will probably win out. if GMs see that more mobile QBs are getting injured at a higher rate or with more serious injuries, I think we will see a change in offensive style. Look at Mahomes. He gets out and scrambles. it sure does seem awfully risky to put your half-billion-dollar player in a position where he could get a career-ender on any play.

on the other hand, if teams are able to keep mobile QBs clean and upright, I don't see why this style of play wouldn't stay popular. It just seems that with few exceptions, Scrambling QBs are not having 15-18 year careers. Stability at the QB position is paramount to team success.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Who?

Exactly.