Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

EBay Seller Offer - What is the deal with currency?

When you track an Ebay item, sometomes the seller sends you a "special discount offer" of a lower price on an item,
how do you feel?
Is it a proclamation that the item is admttedly over market pricing or a great deal on a rarity?

In several recent cases the items were being tracked because of their rarity and I had to wonder
"why didn't the seller just list the lower price to everybody"

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some sellers don’t necessarily need the turnover or cash flow....so why not start high. You can always come down or discount the item later. It’s eBay, not Walmart.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Does that mean you could interpret it as an admission that the item is priced over-market ?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get them a lot ... offer ends in 2 days.

I pass on them.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each seller is different. Consider the seller who knows exactly what he has and what he wants for it vs. someone totally in the dark. Yes, the first seller may very well know that it's overpriced but isn't anxious to sell it. The second may just want to be rid of it at anything near a fair price and started on the high side to be safe and try to realize a fair price after some negotiation. And other sellers motivations and knowledge are likely to fall somewhere in between.

Ebay is trying to complete a sale where one would not have been completed otherwise. Ebay makes more money and buyers and seller are presumably more satisfied when a transaction occurs. It's a win-win for everyone, so if you are not interested, just pass.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Unless there's about 10 or less known examples of any particular note - then it's not really rare, right? Unless, we're talking about the new concept of rarity (like the way eBay sellers throw the term around -on just about anything). Now on most "tough items," I feel that there's always room for a discount no matter what I buy. However, I've seldom seen the older BOC CDN series I'm interested in priced at BV (let alone with a discount). For world currency (most of which is fairly common), I'll gladly accept discounts when it's from a seller I've dealt with before (decent track record who knows the difference between AU & UNC, carefully packages his/her items, etc).

For example, last year, I was looking for a 2005 Philippines 100 Peso (P-194c) with incorrect "Arrovo" spelling. One seller had it listed for double-BV but I saved it on my list just to remind myself I wanted one. After I saved it, the seller offered a 10% discount. I still passed on it as I felt it was overpriced & didn't like the looks of some of his circulated items (clearly liberally graded & mishandled). It's not that it is that expensive - but the other factors became "red flags" for me.

• Options
    NoGoldNoGold Posts: 41 ✭✭

I think it's one of the better seller features that EBay has. I have listings that are Buy It Now. I don't list with the accept offers option due to the many low ball offers and annoying emails . When someone saves and watches one of my listings and if I have room in the price I will send an offer. Its been quite successful.

• Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I recently watched a $150 note; the seller made an unsolicited offer to sell it for $50. I still passed.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

never seen a $150 note?????????

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Some areas of currency collecting have not hit the strides of appreciation that other collectibles are experiencing.

Inflation is happening in Real-Time when I go to Home Depot and pay $47 for a sheet of plywood and find there are only two sheets in the whole store. (OK, I live in Riot soaked Seattle and plywood for new construction competes with window board-ups). Supply-Demand. Collectible modern cars are also experience an upturn

• Options
    cashhoundcashhound Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Some buyers will buy the note just because they think they're getting a deal ...... SO THEY THINK!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2021 8:34AM

I don’t care what the seller thinks or speculate about it. Every business has situation where items put on sale for various reasons. eBay aggressively pushes sellers reduce items. Perhaps the item not moving and seller discounts to see if this will spur activity - just business mgt.

What matters to me is the discounted price an amount that interests me for retail inventory acquisition for online / shows. Can I make money with it at that price?

As far as some automatic silly assumption the item overpriced that reflects the inexperience of the buyer in analyzing pricing. Check CPG or KRS and analyze if price floats your boat. What is price vs retail or Greensheet bid?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency