Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Royal Mint Great Engravers, Wyon's The Three Graces

out tomorrow in silver and gold on royalmint.com - 0900 GMT - good luck

Comments

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Is it safe to assume this offering will be limited to 3000 units in silver like Wyon's Una and the Lion?

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AuldFartte said:
    Is it safe to assume this offering will be limited to 3000 units in silver like Wyon's Una and the Lion?

great question - royal mint hasn't released any mintage figures as far as I can find - only speculation, but I believe they will offer more than una, but maybe not significantly more, and maybe only slightly more in silver, as I'd imagine they'd want to keep gold issues v exclusive [thinking more on this, if in line with other collections/ranges, they tend not to increase mintages from one issue to the next - if anything they sometimes decrease mintages as collections/ranges progress - so could just as easily be 3000 like una]

it's a tough release timing for US collectors, too, but I'm staying up til the wee hours so I don't miss it

was lucky enough on the una release to wake up a few hours after release and snag a silver, but dont think I'd be so lucky this time, considering the prices unas are realizing on secondary market

I'll be sure to share here if I'm able to snag any after release - hoping all interested collectors here are able to acquire some too

• Options
    edited February 22, 2021 2:34AM

devastated ...

had the 2 oz silver and 5 oz silver in basket, was checking out and card did not go through on their verified by visa tunnel

5 oz mintage of 500 - sold out
    2 oz mintage of 3500 - sold out

-_-

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

5,000 pounds for the two ounce gold - ouch!
    That was a crazy block by my credit card company and called fraud department who let the 2 oz silver through only as well.
    They also bounced me OUT OF the queue, but signed me directly back in - I think that cost me the 5 oz silver....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

happy to hear you got a 2 oz

saw the 5 oz avail and my eyes exploded - would've been a beautiful coin at that scale

honestly like instantly depressed I missed out on these - waited months

oh well, 😴

• Options

licking my wounds w some newly released royal mint great engravers bullion, on presale from lpm in 1, 10 & 100 oz silver - gold also available

https://www.lpm.hk/2021-10-oz-great-britain-the-great-engravers-collection-una-and-the-lion-9999-silver-bar.html

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Got the 5 ounce. Should be impressive at that scale

• Options

@Orlena said:
    Got the 5 ounce. Should be impressive at that scale

🔥🔥🔥

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, can't tell if mine has been cancelled now or not...Spent nearly 10 minutes with Nav. Fed getting my fraud block lifted and then order showed as going through with confirmatory email. Damn....Maybe still a small chance?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Hmmm, can't tell if mine has been cancelled now or not...Spent nearly 10 minutes with Nav. Fed getting my fraud block lifted and then order showed as going through with confirmatory email. Damn....Maybe still a small chance?

hope it goes through for you 🤞

• Options

I can't wait to see secondary market on the 3 graces pf70 5oz - I'm guessing in excess of 20k, based off the una 2 oz mintage of 3000 going for several thousand consistently

• Options

raw 2 oz silver graces up on the bay for $11k ... 😂

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    raw 2 oz silver graces up on the bay for $11k ... 😂

Yeah, out of my price range.

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options

same, @AuldFartte - only way possible for me to collect this range is if I get them on issue day - looks like I can kiss my dreams of a full set of 2 oz silvers goodbye 👋

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    same, @AuldFartte - only way possible for me to collect this range is if I get them on issue day - looks like I can kiss my dreams of a full set of 2 oz silvers goodbye 👋

So sorry. I'm in the same boat :(

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options

@AuldFartte only thing to do is look for another set to collect 🤷‍♂️🙃

• Options
    edited February 23, 2021 10:06PM

LPM has an exclusive 2 kilo silver on the way, mintage: 50

despite the Buy Now button, it is not available yet, but you can enter your email for a reminder

• Options

2 oz silver and 5 oz silver have gone unavailable once or twice and prices increasing each time they come back available 📈 👀

• Options

2 oz / 5 oz silver pricing now several hundred $ more than when originally went on sale - 2 oz gold started at $37k, now over $41k w bank wire --- absolutely nuts, and the 5 oz, 1 kg, 2 kg golds have yet to go on offer --- those prices will be gonzo

• Options

oof - prices really shot up overnight

2 kg silver ~$41,000; nearly what the 2 oz gold was selling for last night

• Options

apmex currently has 1 × 2 oz silver and 1 × 2 kilo silver, priced at ~$4k & ~$40k respectively --- for raws 😶

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great reverse designs at totally stupid secondary market prices. I don't like the current QE II portrait and think it would look nicer paired with another one, either Victoria young head or QE II Gillick.

I also noticed the secondary price of the Una silver. One sold on Heritage for a really high price.

Both are really nice and though I don't collect NCLT, I would still be a buyer at a "reasonable" price but never even close to the numbers discussed here.

I'll stick with the retro pattern I own which cost me about $125.

• Options

@WCC the secondary prices are ludicrous, to be sure

was happy to acquire an una & lion in this series on issue day for issue price, but this series has turned into a frenzy since secondary market prices skyrocketd for the una

better or worse - to work towards a complete set of this series in 2 oz silver - I was able to pick up the 2 oz silver 3 graces for a hair under $1900 when lpm initially put them up for sale - time will tell if that was a good move or not - would've certainly preferred issue price

what a beaut that retro pattern must be - would love to see photos of it, should you have time and access to get those

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

Well, at least it is scarcer than a 1995-W ASE and cheaper than one in PR-70.

These two designs, definitely among the best ever to me. Too bad the RM chose to follow US Mints practices, which I assume the latter started first but might be wrong about that.

.> @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

what a beaut that retro pattern must be - would love to see photos of it, should you have time and access to get those

It's a crown sized fantasy pattern dated 1879 with a version of the Victoria portrait used on medals and maybe some coin patterns I believe. Mine is silver but there is also one in bronze. I have it in storage but someone reading my post can probably post a picture.

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

@WCC said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

Well, at least it is scarcer than a 1995-W ASE and cheaper than one in PR-70.

These two designs, definitely among the best ever to me. Too bad the RM chose to follow US Mints practices, which I assume the latter started first but might be wrong about that.

.> @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

It's a crown sized fantasy pattern dated 1879 with a version of the Victoria portrait used on medals and maybe some coin patterns I believe. Mine is silver but there is also one in bronze. I have it in storage but someone reading my post can probably post a picture.

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

@trozau oh wow - beautiful! interesting deviations from wyon's graces [the ship, retention of only the british shield of the 3 symbols, the flourish below] - thanks for sharing that

• Options

5 ounce finally shipped today . I’ll post a pic when it’s received (if I can figure out how to do it). Can’t wait to see it!

• Options

@Orlena said:
    5 ounce finally shipped today . I’ll post a pic when it’s received (if I can figure out how to do it). Can’t wait to see it!

that is super exciting - so happy that you were able to get one of those - def would love to see photos once you get it - congrats!

• Options
    Dirt94Dirt94 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

I’ve never ordered from the Royal Mint but are they similar to the US Mint in releasing extra coins from credit card cancellations on mornings after the original release?

• Options

@Dirt94 said:
    I’ve never ordered from the Royal Mint but are they similar to the US Mint in releasing extra coins from credit card cancellations on mornings after the original release?

great question, Dirt94 - in my experience [4 yrs], no - when they're out, they're out

they do however handle releases much better than us mint in that you enter a queue on days of release, and you are admitted to the site in order to make your purchases, so for example, if you are 1000 in line for a coin w 3000 mintage and hhl of 1, you know you'll get one - MUCH better than how us mint handles high demand issues [only issue for us collectors is that you have to be up around 3a to get in queue 😖]

• Options

I’ve ordered a fair amount over the last few years and unfortunately (for your question) they seem to sort things out pretty. When they’re out they’re out. Agree with above - their queue system works quite well

• Options

for anyone who collects this series and reads this, highly recommend trying to get set up with a collections department representative - might help if you make somewhat regular purchases from royal mint?

I've been struggling w several purchases from them lately, and because of these issues have been put in direct contact with a rep from their collections department

after a * 3rd replacement * for a coin I originally ordered which was sold to someone else before they completed my payment, and then one of the replacements had the same thing happen, they found out I was a collector of the great engravers series and told me that, for upcoming releases, they'd reach out ahead of time, find out which ones I wanted, then put the order through on my behalf on release day

we'll see how smoothly that goes, but if it does end up working out, would be an amazing way to secure these high demand issues

at least I wouldn't have to stay up until the wee hours to fight the queue on day of release

• Options

That does seem like a much smoother system. I wanted to get in on this one after hearing how hot the first in the series was. I didn’t really find much info on when it was released so I missed out. Just curious if there was any chance some orders would get cancelled. I’ll have to stay in the loop better for the next one in the series.

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    for anyone who collects this series and reads this, highly recommend trying to get set up with a collections department representative - might help if you make somewhat regular purchases from royal mint?

I've been struggling w several purchases from them lately, and because of these issues have been put in direct contact with a rep from their collections department

after a * 3rd replacement * for a coin I originally ordered which was sold to someone else before they completed my payment, and then one of the replacements had the same thing happen, they found out I was a collector of the great engravers series and told me that, for upcoming releases, they'd reach out ahead of time, find out which ones I wanted, then put the order through on my behalf on release day

we'll see how smoothly that goes, but if it does end up working out, would be an amazing way to secure these high demand issues

at least I wouldn't have to stay up until the wee hours to fight the queue on day of release

Could anyone do this? That seems like an awesome way to go if that worked. The US Mint would never be that helpful. It’s tough to get them to help you out with anything on your orders.

• Options

@Dirt94 said:

Could anyone do this? That seems like an awesome way to go if that worked. The US Mint would never be that helpful. It’s tough to get them to help you out with anything on your orders.

not entirely sure - I think maybe? it's generally reserved for their more ... ambitious? clients, but they have an entire collections department dedicated to sourcing and selling coins from the past several hundred years - a brilliant move by the royal mint; a way to deeply engage with collectors and provide a valuable service; DEF something id be shocked if the us mint ever did, but if I worked at the us mint, I'd def instate a system / dept like this

couldn't hurt to reach out to them and see if you could be set up with your own collections rep

https://www.royalmint.com/collector-services/

lmk if you're able to arrange that - would be good to understand if that's possible for more us collectors

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    licking my wounds w some newly released royal mint great engravers bullion, on presale from lpm in 1, 10 & 100 oz silver - gold also available

https://www.lpm.hk/2021-10-oz-great-britain-the-great-engravers-collection-una-and-the-lion-9999-silver-bar.html

Did you buy from them before? How was your experience with them?

• Options

Beautiful coins! but the problem with UK coins is the toning! I have many proof Britannia coins dated back to 2009, some have toning. I seldom buy proof world coins anymore.

• Options

@Samuel8 said:

Did you buy from them before? How was your experience with them?

had purchased many times from them before without issue, until v recent purchases, and then all hell broke loose

purchased a trial of the pyx gold coin only to have them call me to tell me "there was a catastrophic error and that coin should never have been available online" - fine, ok, weird, I somewhat don't buy that excuse, but whatever - but then one of the 2 coins we worked out as replacements ended up getting sold to someone else after I remitted payment - working now on 3rd replacement coin, and I'll let you know in 2-4 wks if that ends up working out

will say, with as much chaos I've encountered lately w them, they have worked v hard to make things right, so hopeful that it will all work out - certainly NOTHING like I've experienced w the us mint ...

• Options

@Samuel8 said:
    Beautiful coins! but the problem with UK coins is the toning! I have many proof Britannia coins dated back to 2009, some have toning. I seldom buy proof world coins anymore.

yeah, I've heard tell of this phenomenon amongst modern proofs - rolling the dice I guess, but really like collecting ultra moderns - maybe it'll turn me into a toned coin collector 😅

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Samuel8 said:

yeah, I've heard tell of this phenomenon amongst modern proofs - rolling the dice I guess, but really like collecting ultra moderns - maybe it'll turn me into a toned coin collector 😅

This is photo from the web. I bought this set and several individual coins back in 2009 from a small dealer in UK. Can you imagine how sad I am when I see these got toning? So, I did not buy any world proof coins in the past several years. It seems I need to pay attention to these again. I do appreciate the info you provided.

• Options

they do however handle releases much better than us mint in that you enter a queue on days of release, and you are admitted to the site in order to make your purchases, so for example, if you are 1000 in line for a coin w 3000 mintage and hhl of 1, you know you'll get one - MUCH better than how us mint handles high demand issues [only issue for us collectors is that you have to be up around 3a to get in queue 😖]

Is it like the craziness when we tried to grab a 2019 ERP eagle? Or, much easier?

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    devastated ...

had the 2 oz silver and 5 oz silver in basket, was checking out and card did not go through on their verified by visa tunnel

What do you mean by "their verified by visa tunnel"?
    I recently bought something from the Mint of Paris, when I paid, the system directed me to a 3rd-party system, which needed another way of verification, some kind of code, but US credit card does not have that. Eventually, I paid it with Paypal without a problem.
    UK credit card verification is different from ours?

• Options

@Samuel8 said:

Is it like the craziness when we tried to grab a 2019 ERP eagle? Or, much easier?

I mean, there's huge interest, but the royal mint handles these high interest releases much better than the us mint - orderly, a handful at a time, you know what # in line you are - it's a completely different experience than a high interest release purchase experience w the us mint

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Samuel8 said:

I mean, there's huge interest, but the royal mint handles these high interest releases much better than the us mint - orderly, a handful at a time, you know what # in line you are - it's a completely different experience than a high interest release purchase experience w the us mint

The US Mint seems to be run like a private business. In today's economy, customer service is frequently an oxymoron. It's an expense to be avoided if at all possible and where it is a absolute necessity, dumped onto the customer through "self service" where the provider can get away with it.

• Options

Did any of you happen to notice the 2021 2-Coin Silver 1 oz Britannia Proof/Reverse Proof Set listed on the Royal Mint website? It’s a beautiful set and at £154 with a mintage of 500 I couldn’t pass it up. Check it out, beautiful coins each with a different finish.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Samuel8 said:

The US Mint seems to be run like a private business. In today's economy, customer service is frequently an oxymoron. It's an expense to be avoided if at all possible and where it is a absolute necessity, dumped onto the customer through "self service" where the provider can get away with it.

The US Mint Fulfillment Center is a private, for profit business. It has been privatized since, roughly the 1990s.

• Options

@Orlena said:
    Did any of you happen to notice the 2021 2-Coin Silver 1 oz Britannia Proof/Reverse Proof Set listed on the Royal Mint website? It’s a beautiful set and at £154 with a mintage of 500 I couldn’t pass it up. Check it out, beautiful coins each with a different finish.

did see that- almost pulled the trigger on it, but ended up choosing just the 2 oz silver proof single from the new 'premium exclusive' branch of the brittania range

we both made good decisions, as both those issues [and most everything else in the 2021 brittania range] is sold out ✌