Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Unknown 16 mm coin

This is all I have obverse well worn weights 1.2 grams methinks it's silver. Checked old Us and Canada and England. No profile like this. Obviously a woman probably a Queen

A world without coins "Chaos"

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2021 12:57PM

It has the size weight and appearance of a US capped bust half dime.

It's probably not worth much as it is nigh obliterated from wear, corrosion, and that huge gash. Still a fairly rare type nonetheless.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a silver capped bust half dime. Here's one so you can match up the profile and the stars to the left.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I kind of thought so but the diam is a little off also that gash is actually a protuberance and does not match up with the design. The rest of the design does

• Options

I remeasured the coin and it's definitely is 16 mm. diameters generally do not wear and also the weight is 1.2 not 2.7

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmuniak said:
    I remeasured the coin and it's definitely is 16 mm. diameters generally do not wear and also the weight is 1.2 not 2.7

The weight of a half dime is 1.35 grams. You must be thinking of a dime which the weight is 2.67 grams.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

Problem solved ...Thank you