Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What flatbed scanner do you all recommend?

I am having trouble with my flatbed epson v37
it keeps coming up with not connected to scanner...

what do you guys have for scanner and recommend?

under $300 hopefully

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
1948-76 Topps FB Sets
FB & BB HOF Player sets
1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Epson V600

This. I have one and love it.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Epson V600

ETA: I think mine was ~$200 new with delivery a few years back.

Same here. Love it.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whichever one Grote uses. That thing is brighter than the sun, and can make a 1988 Topps card look like a box fresh 52 Topps!

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2021 4:48PM

Double Post...

• Options
    edited February 19, 2021 4:54PM

@jay0791 said:
    I am having trouble with my flatbed epson v37
    it keeps coming up with not connected to scanner...

what do you guys have for scanner and recommend?

under $300 hopefully

Epson V600 is the recommendation. Please check out my scanning guide in my signature and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Just scanned this one in...

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭

Ty all

that is a super nice scan !!!!

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭

Is the V600 bed large enough to scan an entire 70s Topps rack? Header card and all?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baz518 said:
    Is the V600 bed large enough to scan an entire 70s Topps rack? Header card and all?

Send me a 70s rack and I'll be happy to check ;)

Likely not, but if I find an acceptable A4 scanner to handle my Jumbo slabs, I'll be happy to share details.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

I've had the Epson v300 for a long time now and I love it. Never had a problem with it. The Epson v600 looks awesome too, and has me thinking about an upgrade.

• Options

@baz518 said:

8.5” x 11.7” is the max scan area

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Epson V600. It's a monster.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2021 12:01PM

Well apparently nobody has he epson v600 for sale and no backorder.
    any other ideas even if more money?

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

What model do you guys use for racks if they don’t fit on the V600?

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the Canon Canoscan 9000f.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Epson V600

It has a setting that scans good enough for them to be used in the SMR.

Worth the investment.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2021 12:45PM

@jay0791 said:

Looks like Adorama will have it in stock in a few days. You can add it to your cart now and checkout.

https://www.adorama.com/iesv600.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organicshopping&utm_source=adl-gbase-o

• Options

@KurtisJoseph said:
    What model do you guys use for racks if they don’t fit on the V600?

Stepping into a large format scanner is much more expensive. $3k to $4k for these. PSA uses these for SecureScan.

https://epson.com/For-Work/Scanners/Photo-and-Graphics/Epson-Expression-12000XL-Graphic-Arts-Scanner/p/12000XL-GA

https://epson.com/For-Work/Scanners/Photo-and-Graphics/Epson-Expression-12000XL-Photo-Scanner/p/12000XL-PH

• Options

TY
    I did find it on that website for similar prices a staples, ect.
    Ordered it and hope it ships.
    Other sites had it but a $100 more

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

what everyone else says, Epson V600 is the ticket....even an old guy can operate it

• Options

EPSON V600 BY FAR

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:

If you can't get the V600, then go for the earlier version like the Epson V300. It does a great job too.

• Options

TY

I did get a v600 ordered

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    TY

I did get a v600 ordered

Great! I am glad you got one, you won’t regret it. Check out the guide in my signature if you like.

• Options

Very nice tutorial on scanning

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to kick up an old thread, but the other day I was scanning some cards and didn't realize my "Dust Removal" option was turned on by accident. Luckily I happened to noticed in time. Can you see the difference?

The middle of the "A" on the left edge, and the dashes along the right edge.

Dust Removal turned on:

Dust Removal turned off:

Ugh...

• Options

Thanks for posting the comparison. The missing elements of the card with the dust removal turned on look just like what happened to that Bird RC from Probstein in another recent thread.

• Options
    Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 288 ✭✭✭

Staples has the Epson V600 in stock.
    That was easy GIF should be included, but I'm lazy.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 8:56PM

This may be a dumb question, but from what I can tell, the difference between the V300/V500/V600 and the non photo V30/V33/V37 is that the latter doesn't have the transparency lid, but still has a CCD image sensor.

Why are the only recommended ones those with the transparency top Lid (other than that the current V39 is a CIS sensor) Not like it's needed to scan slabs.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    This may be a dumb question, but from what I can tell, the difference between the V300/V500/V600 and the non photo V30/V33/V37 is that the latter doesn't have the transparency lid, but still has a CCD image sensor.

Why are the only recommended ones those with the transparency top Lid (other than that the current V39 is a CIS sensor) Not like it's needed to scan slabs.

I use a V370 which is practically the same as the V600 and will produce comparable scans for the layman for a cheaper price. it does produce prominent reflections for refractor type cards due to the LED's but I dont mind them. here are two examples of a refractor and non refractor scan using 600 dpi and raised gamma.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

@dictoresno said:

I use a V370 which is practically the same as the V600 and will produce comparable scans for the layman for a cheaper price. it does produce prominent reflections for refractor type cards due to the LED's but I dont mind them. here are two examples of a refractor and non refractor scan using 600 dpi and raised gamma.

The V370 is just an upgraded V300 per se.... Still has the transparency lid right? I'm talking about the double digit model #'s.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2021 4:31AM

@RufussCkingston said:

The recommendations are just based on the CCD technology. The V30/V33/V37 all have CCD as you mentioned. No issue with trying them, but they may produce the light bar effect mentioned.

Personally I would stick with 1 of the only 2 current models Epson has, V39 and V600. Scanners have a history of going unsupported, so getting the latest one is a smart play. Edit: The one being the v600.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2021 12:26AM

@NGS428 said:

Personally I would stick with 1 of the only 2 current models Epson has, V39 and V600.

Careful there..... the V39 is a CIS !!

https://epson.com/For-Home/Scanners/Photo-Scanners/Epson-Perfection-V39-Scanner/p/B11B232201

Optical Density:
    CIS (Contact Image Sensor)

• Options
    edited July 9, 2021 2:39AM

Picked up a V30 off Craigslist for $30 to tinker around. Seems this one does give up the LED spots on the slab. Used the settings from the scanning guide with the lid up. But for some reason the scan seems a little muddied compared to the post a couple above of the refactors, where the flip is really crisp.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@NGS428 said:

Personally I would stick with 1 of the only 2 current models Epson has, V39 and V600.

Careful there..... the V39 is a CIS !!

https://epson.com/For-Home/Scanners/Photo-Scanners/Epson-Perfection-V39-Scanner/p/B11B232201

Optical Density:
    CIS (Contact Image Sensor)

Sorry, poor wording on my part. I mentioned selecting 1 of the current ones, so I clarified which one.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    Picked up a V30 off Craigslist for $30 to tinker around. Seems this one does give up the LED spots on the slab. Used the settings from the scanning guide with the lid up. But for some reason the scan seems a little muddied compared to the post a couple above of the refactors, where the flip is really crisp.

I have my gamma adjusted to 1.8 and exposure level set to high. try that. this made my scans look way better than the standard settings. here is a side by side comparison. top is increased gamma, bottom isn't. the slabs look more crisp, clear and darker whereas the other scan looks softer and less sharp/detailed.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    edited July 9, 2021 9:12AM

@RufussCkingston said:

Yes, there does seem to be a loss of detail on the V30 scan.

@dictoresno said:
    I have my gamma adjusted to 1.8 and exposure level set to high. try that. this made my scans look way better than the standard settings. here is a side by side comparison. top is increased gamma, bottom isn't. the slabs look more crisp, clear and darker whereas the other scan looks softer and less sharp/detailed.

I prefer a gamma of 2.2 and an auto exposure right at the middle value, but I am using the V600. I have seen (as shown below) an oversaturation of color and resulting loss of detail if the gamma is at 1.8. Personal preference. I review this on page 12 of my guide. I always check back to see how the card looks in hand and try to match that to the scan. The deeper colors of 1.8 may look nicer, but when I compared to the card in hand they were not accurate.

Gamma 2.2

Gamma 1.8

• Options

Just curious, how is the led light diodes different on the v600/500 so that they don't give off the dot reflection on the slab? Or is it in some hardware processing. Since the scans posted from the V370 have the dots reflections as well, I'd assume a v300 would have the same issue (plus it is the counterpart to my v30)

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    Just curious, how is the led light diodes different on the v600/500 so that they don't give off the dot reflection on the slab? Or is it in some hardware processing. Since the scans posted from the V370 have the dots reflections as well, I'd assume a v300 would have the same issue (plus it is the counterpart to my v30)

Good question. Nothing in the specs between the 2 models explains it. I have reached out to Epson, we shall see if they reply…

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

Good question. Nothing in the specs between the 2 models explains it. I have reached out to Epson, we shall see if they reply…

its probably the size of the LED's or their placement/separation distance. the V600 may have more LED's, or a continuous strip as opposed to less on the V370 spread out across the element. the closer they are, the less bars will appear and they will blend to form a single strip of light. you can see in my pictures of the V370 in action, there are 17 or so individual LED's that produce a hot spot around each, creating the jail bar effect.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

Thanks for the pics of the V370, I have not seen the type of light the bar produces. When I scan with my V600 I can not make out the individual LEDs. Below are some pics of it while scanning..

• Options

@NGS428 said:
    Thanks for the pics of the V370, I have not seen the type of light the bar produces. When I scan with my V600 I can not make out the individual LEDs. Below are some pics of it while scanning..

well, there's the answer to that.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Epson V600 for me as well. Great scanner!

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

Forgot that I have a couple of $100 amex Dell credits, so put in an order.

What about the SilverFast SE 8 software that you get a serial number for. I know in the guide it talks about VueScan, but what about this "freebie"?

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    Forgot that I have a couple of $100 amex Dell credits, so put in an order.

What about the SilverFast SE 8 software that you get a serial number for. I know in the guide it talks about VueScan, but what about this "freebie"?

I have it installed but have never used it. The stock software worked fine, so I didn’t go any further with silverfast. If I ever get super super bored I may give it a shot…. :smile:

• Options

Hi! I want to buy a scanner for scanning PSA-graded cards. I am considering scanners from the list NGS428 made, such as Epson V37, V370 and V600. The V37 is the cheapest and the V600 the most expensive. Is there any other difference between those scanners to make me choose one over the other? I am particularly worried about not exposing my cards to harmful light. Does any of those scanners have a less intense light source or lower UV emission?

Thank you for your advice in advance!

• Options

@Xara said:
    Hi! I want to buy a scanner for scanning PSA-graded cards. I am considering scanners from the list NGS428 made, such as Epson V37, V370 and V600. The V37 is the cheapest and the V600 the most expensive. Is there any other difference between those scanners to make me choose one over the other? I am particularly worried about not exposing my cards to harmful light. Does any of those scanners have a less intense light source or lower UV emission?

Thank you for your advice in advance!

The V600 has a higher density/more LEDs than the other models.

Really the biggest different is the light streaks you see when you scan with a non V600. You will see that in my guide.

• Options

Thank you very much for your quick reply. If the light streaks are the only issue with the V37, I probably go with a used unit of this model first. The V600 is currently 10x more expensive compared to a used V37. Maybe further down my collection career I will get the more professional V600.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I mentioned before:
    Epson V600. It's a monster.
    :):DB)o:)

• Options

If you need a scanner to scan graded cards for the purpose of selling, then you have no excuse to not get a V600 (well, I guess unless you are selling $10 slabs!), it's called the cost of doing business.... For the most part, the reason why the cheaper scanners don't work is because the LED bar is a series of little round lights that show up in the scanned image reflection. The V600 has a SOLID LED light bar which makes all the difference.