Home Sports Talk

Double D's martial arts thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 19, 2021 3:44AM in Sports Talk

I need a little project to work on, and I haven't done a martial arts thread yet, so here we go! This thread is dedicated to anything martial arts related. Check out this video of this kid swinging his nunchucks in sync with Bruce Lee's famous nunchuck scene in "Enter the Dragon", one of my all time favorite martial arts movies.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

That kid would tune up anyone that messes with him! 😂😂😂

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    That kid would tune up anyone that messes with him! 😂😂😂

Yes, I wouldn't mess with him! 😂😂

I will be working this thread today, and it will be fun, but for now it's off to Wal-Mart. Yes, it's fish and tater day.

Nothing makes a good martial arts movie better than a good villain. Some of the best villains I've seen have been in Jean Claude Van Damme movies. In the movie "Cyborg", he battles Fender Tremolo, a vicious beast with scary looking eyes. I love it when they finally do battle in the pouring down rain at the end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMlQW9TsUxg&bpctr=1613740250

Now Kickboxer had an awesome villain also, Tong Po. In this scene, Van Damme is getting an ice bucket for his brother, who is about to fight Thailand's undefeated kickboxing champion Tong Po. He investigates, and sees who his brother is about to fight. It's Tong Po, and he's kicking a concrete pillar bare legged. Tong Po ends up paralyzing his brother. Awesome villain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ipBvm3_0TR0

Another Van Damme movie "Lionheart" had a great movie villain named Attila, who was a huge guy known for killing his opponents. The final fight between Attila and Lionheart was good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AwoXQfUzUag

One of my all time favorite movie villains was in another Van Damme movie called "Bloodsport". The villain in this movie was Chong Li, and he was mean and vicious. He made that movie great, and in this scene he finishes off his opponent by breaking his leg.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Q6Chb3sSY

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

when the topic of martial arts arises, only two words are needed.

Chuck.

Norris.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    One of my all time favorite movie villains was in another Van Damme movie called "Bloodsport". The villain in this movie was Chong Li, and he was mean and vicious. He made that movie great, and in this scene he finishes off his opponent by breaking his leg.

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

I must have spent thousands of dollars in quarters playing Mortal Kombat in the 90s! 😂😂

edited February 19, 2021 9:42AM

One of the all time great martial arts fights was Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris in the movie " The way of the Dragon." They fought at the ancient colosseum in Rome which made it even cooler. A fight to the death.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6lxYH5Q_zCE&t=11s

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

I must have spent thousands of dollars in quarters playing Mortal Kombat in the 90s! 😂😂

Maybe only hundreds for me, but my son and I had fun playing it when they released the NES classic a few years back.

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

Maybe only hundreds for me, but my son and I had fun playing it when they released the NES classic a few years back.

Yes, I played the heck out it on the video game systems at home as well. I loved doing the fatalities the best. I became obsessed with trying to do them for each character. Fun times!

edited February 19, 2021 10:42AM

One last villain I loved in a Van Damme movie was in the movie "Double Impact." He had a nasty scar on his face which made him look menacing. He was played by Bolo Yeung, the same guy that played Chong Li in Bloodsport. It was fun to watch them finally do battle in this scene.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sx18oF0wP1s

@craig44 said:
    when the topic of martial arts arises, only two words are needed.

Chuck.

Norris.

I think it's five words.

Chuck.
    Motha.
    Effin.
    Norris.
    Baby (other words starting with 'B' also acceptable, except here)

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

When Chuck Norris does push-ups, it's the earth that moves up and down.

edited February 19, 2021 11:17AM

@stevek said:
    When Chuck Norris does push-ups, it's the earth that moves up and down.

When Chuck Norris left for summer camp as a kid, he told his father, "You're the man of the house now."

Chuck Norris vs Toru Tanaka. Good stuff!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dptlSVTAlCQ

edited February 19, 2021 12:03PM

This is one of the greatest fight scenes in martial arts movie history, in "Enter the Dragon." This is the scene where Bruce Lee takes on about 50 or more guards.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XgVbsoY_4_k

Chuck Norris vs David Carradine. The final fight in Lone Wolf McQuade, it's a classic!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tP2V5JFIFO4

I've been watching martial arts fight scenes all day. I'm starting to want to do some kung fu on somebody, I might have to go Wal-Mart later and pick a fight!

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I've been watching martial arts fight scenes all day. I'm starting to want to do some kung fu on somebody, I might have to go Wal-Mart later and pick a fight!

I recommend the pet food aisle. Just punch someone as soon as they have their arms full with a 50-lb bag of food and go from there.

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

I recommend the pet food aisle. Just punch someone as soon as they have their arms full with a 50-lb bag of food and go from there.

Sounds good to me. If that doesn't work out, I'll go over to the produce section and break a few heads!

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

Sounds good to me. If that doesn't work out, I'll go over to the produce section and break a few heads!

Grab a spaghetti squash first, as backup.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@Bullsitter said:

Classic!!!! 👏👍👍

edited February 19, 2021 4:39PM

In Enter the Dragon, Bruce Lee faces O'Hara, the man responsible for his sisters death in the movie. O'Hara had a nasty scar on his face, and in this fight, Bruce Lee says his famous line, "Boards don't hit back". This is a classic fight, and ends with Bruce Lee killing him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml387bZBl_Y

My Uncle Louie used to always have Bruce Lee movies on when I was a kid at my grandparents house when we would visit.

@perkdog said:
    My Uncle Louie used to always have Bruce Lee movies on when I was a kid at my grandparents house when we would visit.

Back in the day, I would rent Bruce Lee movies and watch them. This was back in the days of VHS, when they still had Blockbuster video stores. I haven't seen a Blockbuster store in a long time, I don't even think they exist anymore.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread wouldn't be complete without Bruce Lee in the iconic yellow jumpsuit.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    edited February 19, 2021 5:50PM

@Darin, Yes, "Game of Death" is a classic, and for anyone who hasn't seen it, here is the final battle with Bruce Lee vs Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CD69-zWsJs4

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Daniel:
    Parsippany? I got an Uncle Louie from Parsippany!

Woman:
    Louis Fontini?

Daniel:
    No, Louie Larusso.

Woman:
    Don't know him.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2