Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2019 panini fortnite series 1 usa print & black knight cards

blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

go ahead and chuckle. it's ok. i wouldn't have bought any if it wasn't for my son. crazy how things work out like that though, thus i've been following:

well today's sales signify that it's worthy of its own thread now.

and these aren't even the big ones. just ones that will most likely be traded on a semi-occasional basis:

these two usa print holofoil got hit today. $7500 and then $30k.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 17, 2021 8:02PM

here's the skinny from my very limited knowledge...

black knight 252 will be the poster child of the set. think adam bomb or nasty nick for gpk. for strictly baseball card guys, think 52 topps and the premiums that the pafko demands.

there are 3 various print runs to the cards, states which one on the back:

1. usa prints
    2. italy prints
    3. brazil prints

it's my opinion that the usa prints will carry the largest demand as technically they are the first print and first release. quantities also seem to be much smaller than what was released in italy/brazil.

variants in the set:

1. base cards
    2. holofoil s
    3. shards

base cards are just that. cards 1-249 are fairly easy w some sps in there. but just about any cards 251-300 are pretty tough pulls. card 252 black knight is extremely hard to pull, even in base form. card 300, luxe, is also just as hard to find in my opinion.

holofoils. holofoils are basically the equivalent to silver prizms or refractors. however, they fall at a much harder rate to pull than a silver/refractor in terms of odds. these were only made for cards 100 - 300 for the skins (players). same rule as above but just magnified x100. a base card of 252 is a tough pull already. try landing a holofoil and you could sit for days ripping boxes and never land one.

shards. next to impossible. these were mega box exclusives. you got a special pack that just contained 2 cards. i'm of the opinion that basically any usa print will command serious coin in the very near future. prior to the op and those holofoils selling for $30k, the highest price on a black knight was $45k for a black knight shard. if the $30k price is legit, that would probably make that shard now worth $200k. absolutely ridiculous, i agree. but there are some serious collectors getting in on this set. several nfl/nba players, steve aoki, jeremy padawer and some very serious asian "investors".

final note that i got is for unopened. usa print boxes have the panini logo printed on the cellophane. non-usa product has simple clear cellophane, no logo.

so, if you happen to run out to target, walmart or dollar store and see any of these packs left, they are definitely worth grabbing. it's kinda ironic that all the retail stalkers have been leaving the actual good stuff behind all these months.

• Options

this should sum it up pretty nicely. you know stuff has gone nuclear when you have the guys that loaded up on prizm basketball boxes, which brought incredible returns, probably the best this year, are wishing they loaded up on these instead. and note the date. this was prior to today's black knight holo sales:

it's crazy that the stuff that was actually meant for the kids is doing this. is it just a bubble or is this just the new norm? i mean, fortnite cards.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2021 2:31AM

(i know no one else here cares. gives me more incentive to keep going)

one thing about these new entrants, they don't know how to bid or the benefits of sniping. 1st day in and already above $5k? idiots. but things are only continuing to get nuttier:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254881838420

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it interesting. I have no idea who or what these cards are for. Without googling I’ll let you tell me. Plus will this bring in new collectors? I mean youthful ones and not just investors?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    I find it interesting. I have no idea who or what these cards are for. Without googling I’ll let you tell me. Plus will this bring in new collectors? I mean youthful ones and not just investors?

i had a post here, but got deleted. will give it a few and if it doesn't pop back up will try again

• Options

Was thinking about getting a sealed box..but dropping $900 on fortnite seems madness lol

• Options
    edited February 28, 2021 6:30PM

@simon2010 said:
    Was thinking about getting a sealed box..but dropping $900 on fortnite seems madness lol

only box worth that would be the green mega box w the panini logo shrink wrap. and i'd buy everyone i could if you can them anywhere near that price point.

but there are the yellow fat pack boxes out there for $200 that are still a good deal, imo. the holos and legendaries (black knight) are in the middle and are less susceptible to damage.

after looking at what the avg foil cards are going for in psa 9s, you can't really lose on these boxes. land a knight holo and you're talking $8k hit just in a 9. land a 10 and enjoy your new car.

• Options

this would be the mega box

• Options

and that's the box you can get for $900? how many and where?

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really hope the Fortnite generation is not buying this card but instead putting a down payment on a house.
    But I can only hope I guess.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2021 8:41PM

@handyman said:
    I really hope the Fortnite generation is not buying this card but instead putting a down payment on a house.
    But I can only hope I guess.

you may be putting "the fortnite generation" in a box & looking at it from an older and skewed vision solely based off of your earlier years as a collector. i can assure you, they aren't mowing lawns and starting lemonade stands for packs. a huge percentage of this particular "generation" are extremely savvy and own multiple homes OR not interested in purchasing a home to begin with. and not because they can't afford it. i would compare it to how sex before marriage became a little more lax of the past 50 years. a lot of folks actually prefer renting these days and see that money to be a better fit used elsewhere. they are anything but traditional. different strokes, i guess.

and btw: you got me using the term "generation", keep in mind this isnt a time period thing. these are based off a very popular video game that "people" age 5 - 50 play. a ton of people. world wide. of all shapes and sizes and ethnicities. certainly not secular to the kids growing up during this particular time frame.

heck half the dances during any sports celebration these days is a fortnite dance. you prolly just don't realize it.

then there are the metrics behind things of such pop culture. i forget the exact stats, but if "anything" can stay popular or mainstream for just 15 months, then it's nostalgia & resurgence in 10 - 15 years is pretty much guaranteed. fortnite came out in 2011. still going.

back to the house thing, if someone would have put $20k down and bought these boxes above vs just a down payment on a house, that person could have paid cash for a very nice house. on both coasts. there's a "kid" over on blowout that bought a $399 mega case and just sold it to a semi-celeb for $50k. confirmed. and let's face it, anything wildly popular and it's first series tends to be gold. "i sure hope the 50s generation doesn't spend their nickels on '52 topps cards"

• Options
    edited February 28, 2021 8:51PM

I just want everyone to have a home and then cards. I am old.

• Options

@handyman said:
    I just want everyone to have a home and then cards. I am old.

and there's absolutely nothing wrong w that point of view. i'm old and share the same view of purchasing a home for all the same benefits as you know of. don't get me wrong.

but i have to lend a solid ear and at least listen to the other side of the argument. and from history of other known franchises from '52 topps to '85 gpk,, '77 star wars to '89 upper deck finally, it is definitely bankable.

the eye opener to me was the guy on BO w a pretty solid reputation of knowing what's pretty bankable (ie prizm basketball) saying he shoulda went fortnite series 1. and there's a 50x more prizm basketball out there. and 50x the amount of people who could care less about basketball.

and here's another argument that a fellow buddy suggested that made me shift gears and take a more serious look into it. it's a common perception that we associate video games with kids. and there's definitely truth to that. however, besides the serious emergence and popularity of esports and gaming leagues, there has been scientific data that suggests playing video games helps professionally w some serious high paying professions. everything from professional athletes, to pilots, to surgeons, artists, heavy machinery operators and so forth. not only does playing video games help them relax, but it also helps them with reaction times, fine tune precise hand movements and make split second decisions on the fly. and fortnites been the most popular one for close to 10 years. with all the articles on cards of all origins making headlines in grown up periodicals, what happens when these guys enter the market?

( ok, i gotta stop. i'm talking myself into going out and purchasing more )

• Options

I’m just worried there might be a new hot game 2-5 years from now as well? And also gamers don’t seem to care about cards. I know there are super Mario bro cards printed in the 80s that nobody thinks about and also short print. I enjoy the read And hope to follow this version of cards. I hope it is the next magic or Pokémon or better.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2021 9:51PM

yes, and there will be. no doubt about it. nothing stays on top forever. and i'm not advocating "investing" in series 1 italy or buying into series 2 at all. we started off ripping for our sons to put a sets away for nostalgia purposes and whether it was worth $5 down the road of $500k, thry'd have the set that was popular when they were growing up and could do w it what they please. but in doing so, it became abundantly clear that it panini wasn't sure it would translate from being popular as a video game to popular as collectible trading cards. the amount of series 2 not only available but what has also been purchased states a lot more than i ever could about series 1 usa prints.

so they didn't go all out on all the colors or keep the presses running. with the limited availability, esp on key cards & holos coupled with the fact that they didn't print it to the hills means it doesn't need an infinite collector base to be taken seriously.

and let's face it, i can't think of any card, that isn't sport related and numbered w artificial scarcity that took off so quick after initial launch that started commanding the prices some of these cards are. sure pokémon cards are entering new orbits, but not until recently. those cards came out in '96. gpk finally getting respect but those are back from '85. same w star wars. and that's star wars! and subsequently trading cards had nothing to due the movie.

people collect cards of all things popular. and fortnite was/is pretty darn popular. 😉

• Options
    edited February 28, 2021 10:00PM

You could be right and this might be the next 1986 Fleer that everyone overlooked.
    Will be fun to fallow.

• Options

more big auctions ended. card just keeps going up. and series 1 supply dwindling down by the day...funny to hear about all the baseball/basketball fans getting into it and realizing how fun and different it is!

• Options

jeeze ma knees!

• Options

Hey Blurry- is it an eBay function to identify the best offer price?

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

They had these on the register at my local Walgreens. Wish I would have bought some packs! Could have funded some nice pick-ups for my collection.

• Options

@MartinH said:
    Hey Blurry- is it an eBay function to identify the best offer price?

no

• Options

1st edition bought 8 years ago for $100. same concept here. just sayin:

• Options
    edited April 28, 2021 10:16PM

• Options

peely #233 will be the next card to blow up.

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

I bought a box of random, mostly vintage cards locally off CL because I saw a '90s Jordan baseball card in there. It also had about 200 of these Fortnite cards in a box that I was about to trash, but thought I should look and see if they are worth anything. I'm glad I didn't, as I'm pretty sure I saw one of those black knight cards and they all seem to be NM/Mint. Some Holofoils in there as well.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Looked through the Fortnite cards I had and none are the Black Knight, darn it. But they're all Series One printed in the US. There are a couple in there that look like they could bring a few hundred each, if graded. Not bad for something I was about to toss!

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    peely #233 will be the next card to blow up.

Thanks for the great info Blurry. I have a Series 1 box but it is Italian, :( I do have 20 individual Series 1 packs that say "Printed in the USA" on the back. Are they the same as would have come in the US box? Thanks again for the insight here. I have no idea about the cards nor the game. LOL

• Options
    edited May 6, 2021 12:53PM

those should be usa versions then. italy says italy. brazil says brazil.

brazil might end up being the scarcest overall. i'd sell the italy box and move that into a usa or brazilian box. the brazilian thing might take a while to emerge. i'm certainly not advertising it out there too much so as not to destruct my potential pick ups.

i ordered one case so far that i bought to put up. but as you see above, the itch was too great. and glad it was, bc that's a brazilian black knight holofoil posted above. still in awe.

• Options

Thanks! I imagine that one is gonna be worth a ton. I don't plan on opening anything of mine. I really wouldn't even know what to look for...LOL.

• Options

Ok. I just bought a case of 5 boxes from Brazil. I think I'll just sit on it for a while though. Like I said, I wouldn't know where to begin but I'll surely follow this thread. Thanks again!

• Options

This is a great thread and many thanks for all the great info.

I have some green value packs (printed in USA). What is the difference between these and the yellow value packs?

Thanks in advance
    Ed