Home Sports Talk
Options

First game you went to live.

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

1973 Shea Stadium. Saw Willie Mays hit one of his last home runs.

I was at the Boston Garden in the mid 70s to see the Bruins.

1977 or 1978 Cosmos playoff game.

Never went to pro football or basketball when I was young.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

At negative 4 months, I was at a Royals game in KC.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    At negative 4 months, I was at a Royals game in KC.

At positive 18 years I was at the pine tar game at the house that Ruth built.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2021 11:45AM

Dodgers. 1958- Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum . Seating capacity 90,000, many sell outs.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Atlanta Braves game in 1995. I remember it was so hot I could barely stand it. The sun was beaming down right in my face.

• Options

@hammer1 said:
    Dodgers. 1958- Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum . Seating capacity 90,000, many sell outs.

Did you see a young Dodger left hander pitch ?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2021 12:01PM

In 1967. Tigers vs Angels in June for my birthday. I was a pup. When I walked down the tunnel and saw the grass for the first time my Dad said I fainted. In Dec of 67 for Christmas I received hockey tickets as part of my presents. Ended up going to see the Wings- Bruins game at the Olympia in February. Orr/ Howe/Cigar smoke/ Heaven. It was a 1-1 tie.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2021 12:22PM

@Goldenage said:

@hammer1 said:

Did you see a young Dodger left hander pitch ?

tbh I can't remember if Sandy was throwing.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

1990 fenway park. red sox and orioles.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

1960's - going to Mile High Stadium in Denver with my parents and sister in July 4th to watch the Denver Bears Triple AAA minor league baseball team play a game, after which there would be a fireworks show.

These July 4th games set records for attendance at a minor league baseball game (over 60,000 fans would show up on July 4th primarily to see the fireworks after the game).

1969 - in middle school some friends of mine and I went solo (without parents) to the old Denver Civic Auditorium to see the then ABA Denver Rockets (starring 19 or 20 year old Spencer Haywood, the star of the 1968 US Olympic Basketball team) play a professional basketball game with that funny looking red, white and blue basketball.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

1963 Bills. Would have it look up the first preseason game that year.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing 1975 or 76.
    Royals Stadium against the Yankees. When we first got to town my Dad asked someone
    who worked at our hotel if he knew where the Yankees were staying. He found out and
    so we had time before the game so we drove there. We went in and my Dad found out
    the Yankees had been banned from that hotel previously because Billy Martin had gotten
    into a fight in the bar. My Dad really got a chuckle out of that because he figured all the
    stories he had heard about Billy must be true.
    We did find where they were staying, being country bumkin kids didn't realize it was impolite
    to ask for autos' while they were eating, got turned down by Mickey Rivers who was eating
    with 3 other players we didn't know, so when we left we promptly put a hex on Mickey Rivers
    and he struck out 4 times in that evenings game.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2021 5:41PM

@Darin said:
    I'm guessing 1975 or 76.
    Royals Stadium against the Yankees. When we first got to town my Dad asked someone
    who worked at our hotel if he knew where the Yankees were staying. He found out and
    so we had time before the game so we drove there. We went in and my Dad found out
    the Yankees had been banned from that hotel previously because Billy Martin had gotten
    into a fight in the bar. My Dad really got a chuckle out of that because he figured all the
    stories he had heard about Billy must be true.
    We did find where they were staying, being country bumkin kids didn't realize it was impolite
    to ask for autos' while they were eating, got turned down by Mickey Rivers who was eating
    with 3 other players we didn't know, so when we left we promptly put a hex on Mickey Rivers
    and he struck out 4 times in that evenings game.

My Dad always pointed out to me that it looked like Rivers had a load in his pants when he ran

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2021 6:17PM

For MLB it was September 24, 1987, Braves v Astros at Fulton County Stadium. I pushed my way to the front of the throng by the dugout and got Dale Murphy’s autograph before the game, then he hit a home run off Nolan Ryan. Great intro to live big league baseball.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

My first game was May 22nd 1960 Boston at Detroit double header.
    Tigers swept the Redsox with Jim Bunning pitching the first game complete against Tom Brewer.
    Hank Aguirre won the second game against Frank Sullivan.Save Pete Burnside. I was excited to see Ted Williams in both games. First game he stated went 1 for 3.
    In the second game he went 1 for 1 pinch hitting.
    I was so overwhelmed by the look of Briggs Stadium with with beautiful colors and the whole ball of wax. At the time all we had was black and white TV.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to Buffalo Bison games when Johnny Bench was their catcher

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrigley Field 1973. Giants at Cubs. I was expecting the field to be a lot bigger than it actually was. Bobby Bonds lead off with triple to right center field and Jose Cardenal (days with the big afros) lost his hat while chasing it to the ivy wall.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long ago and far away at Fenway. I was born and raised about 40 miles from Boston.

I'm pretty sure it was a Yankees-Red Sox game in the early 50s. My dad seemed to always get us seats just to the right of the 420' sign in that little pizza slice-like seats near the Red Sox bullpen. My most vivid memory was Jackie Jensen hitting a deep fly ball to center field. The ball landed on the pea gravel close to me, and Mickey Mantle scrambled to get the ball. He was maybe 10-15 away for just a few seconds. Big thrill for a little kid! I can still see that #7.