Home Metal Detecting
Options

Is a used metal detector worth the investment?

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is a gently used detector worth it? Im sure lots of people have bought nice machines, used them a few times and gotten discouraged and then put them up. Im sure lots have spent hours at the beach and woods getting mistreated. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭

I always buy used detectors. The only exception is when I want to try a new model, just introduced to the market, and no used examples are available.

Unless the electronics get wet, a metal detector is difficult to ruin.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bayard1908 said:
    I always buy used detectors. The only exception is when I want to try a new model, just introduced to the market, and no used examples are available.

Unless the electronics get wet, a metal detector is difficult to ruin.

What would be your choice of used detector for coins/relics in upper east TN? Fairly iron rich soils locally. No gold to speak of except someone's coin that might have fallen out of their pocket.

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:

What would be your choice of used detector for coins/relics in upper east TN? Fairly iron rich soils locally. No gold to speak of except someone's coin that might have fallen out of their pocket.

I've stated in this forum many times that I prefer simultaneous multi-frequency detectors made by Minelab. Some representative models are Etrac, Explorer, Safari, Equinox, and Vanquish. The Equinox and Vanquish are inexpensive enough to buy brand new, although I'd be glad to sell you my gently used Vanquish 440 since I upgraded to a Vanquish 540, lol.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been detecting for almost 30 yrs. I've owned 2 detectors. First was a Whites xlt, loved it, great discrimination, deep penetration. I beat the hell out of the coil and had to replace it. 2nd is a Garrett AT pro, love it even more, much better build 20 yrs. later and $300 less. Whites went bankrupt. Whatever you buy, it's got to to cancel out ferrous metals effectively. IMO. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall