Home Sports Talk

Ryan Leaf slams the NFL

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leaf went off about the NFLs responsibility in vincent jacksons recent death, saying he believes the league needs to allocate resources into mental health and substance abuse support.

I take the opposite stance. I am not sure why it is up to a former employer to provide mental health and substance abuse counciling for former employees? Is Lowes responsible for the mental health of their former employees?

whatever happened to Jackson, it is unfortunate to have someone die so young.

I think that professional athletes need to take personal responsibility for their own health care during retirement. even a player at minimum salary, if they had a reasonably long career would have enough of a nest egg to prepare for their own retirement and health care after playing.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would anyone care what Ryan Leaf says? Any "reporter" covering him has got to have better things to do and he's just saying ridiculous things to stay relevant.

I think the NFL should be responsible for curing cancer. Why is no one covering this?

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally agreed about it being the players responsibility for taking care of themselves after their career is over, they are not police, fire, medical or military and they get paid exorbitant amounts of money while they are employed. CTE or other stuff related to the game is a different story but other than that use the money you made to take care of yourself and be responsible

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

wasn't he part of the players union? pay his DUES?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.