Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

New guy here.....Luis Robert 1/1? - UPDATED W/ PICS!

charlesreed00charlesreed00 Posts: 42

Hey guys. This is my first ever post so take it easy on the rookie ok, ha ha. I recently found a Luis Robert 1/1 2018 Bowman High Tek (non auto) black galactic diffracttor card as I was going through my collection. I literally had no idea I had it. So yesterday I sent it off to PSA to get it graded. It looks incredible and I'm hoping for a very high grade. So what do you guys think about it? I'm definitely interested in selling it as soon as I get it back. Paid for super express so hoping to get it back soon. Do ya think it will be a card that is in high demand since it's rare. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I put it on eBay. Probably will do a buy it now with an option to make an offer. Thanks for all the help!

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I don't see much advantage to getting a 1/1 graded other than the protection a holder provides. It's not like there can be any competition for "highest graded" and anything 8 or less likely hurts the value, while a 10 may get a slight premium.

• @LarkinCollector said:
    Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I don't see much advantage to getting a 1/1 graded other than the protection a holder provides. It's not like there can be any competition for "highest graded" and anything 8 or less likely hurts the value, while a 10 may get a slight premium.

Yeah I get that. I really feel like the card will return with a very high grade and to me that helps the buyer with peace of mind when it comes to the condition of the card. When I buy...I like peace of mind. Thanks for your opinion though.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

I agree, and the High Tek sets have surfaces that are very condition sensitive.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards.

Good luck with the card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Super Express is expensive. Just sayin.

Welcome to the board.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really will depend on how well he plays.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • @GreenSneakers said:
    Super Express is expensive. Just sayin.

Welcome to the board.

I know right B)

• Update - my card is in step 5 of the grading process. I'm sitting on pins and needles. Lord please let it come back a 10!!!!!!!!!!

• BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

@charlesreed00 said:
    Update - my card is in step 5 of the grading process. I'm sitting on pins and needles. Lord please let it come back a 10!!!!!!!!!!

While it will possibly add a little, if it grades 8 or lower, I’d probably crack it out.

• @Batpig said:

@charlesreed00 said:
    Update - my card is in step 5 of the grading process. I'm sitting on pins and needles. Lord please let it come back a 10!!!!!!!!!!

While it will possibly add a little, if it grades 8 or lower, I’d probably crack it out.

I agree. This is first time I've sent a card in for grading and I wish I would have marked it anything lower than a 9 don't grade. I'm excited though.

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Excuse my ignorance, but who Luis Robert?

PackManInNC

@mexpo75 said:

Cuban-born 2nd year OF for White Sox. Elite prospect, labeled as potential 5-tool star.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• @mexpo75 said:

Well I know he is a stud prospect. I am a huge braves fan and I don't know if he is as good as Acuna but I think the hype compares to RA. 5 tool stud!

• It's now in stage 6. Will PSA show my grade on the website or do I have to wait until I get the card in the mail? Like I've said, this is my first time getting a card graded.

Thanks

@charlesreed00 said:
    It's now in stage 6. Will PSA show my grade on the website or do I have to wait until I get the card in the mail? Like I've said, this is my first time getting a card graded.

Thanks

Once it’s been graded you will be able to view the grade online.

Yaz Master Set

@charlesreed00 said:

@mexpo75 said:

Well I know he is a stud prospect. I am a huge braves fan and I don't know if he is as good as Acuna but I think the hype compares to RA. 5 tool stud!

Whoaaaaaa, slow down, until he proves it he is just another hyped top 5 prospect. Acuna cards rose dramatically because he actually proved it at such a young age. I am not trying to piss in your Wheaties but Baseball has a long history of Luis Roberts that never become stars. Take a look at this link and scroll down over the last 10 years and you will see how hard it is to become the next Acuna.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2020/top100/

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I started a thread on this yesterday and I am on the Luis Robert bandwagon. I am also a Braves fan and I really like Acuña but Robert has the potential to be better. I do agree with the post above mine that every year there seems to be the next great prospect entering the pipeline. Now we have Jasson Dominguez. I can say for sure I wouldn’t want to be in Wander Franco’s shoes because it’s tough living up to being ranked the #1 prospect in baseball. Vlad Jr. has had trouble and I don’t know if y’all remember the 2018 #1 prospect, Francisco Mejia. How many teams has he been bounced around to since then? Hint: he got traded to the Rays this offseason.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

or a Rusney Castillo

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Well got the grade back today and it is a GEM MINT 10!!!! I'm going to put it on eBay as a buy it now or best offer. What's highest or lowest you think I will get? I'm so pumped right now, LOL.

• Since the market is on fire and very unpredictable, I would start with a high number - maybe ridiculously high - and enable best offers, otherwise you may be leaving quite a bit of meat on the bone listing it as a BiN. If it doesn't sell in 10 days at the high/ridiculously high number, throttle it back based on the consensus you learn through people making best offers.

1/1, PSA 10, Elite Prospect on a Team that could do things this year. No doubt there are Robert collectors out there salivating at these types of whales.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • @flcardtrader said:
    Since the market is on fire and very unpredictable, I would start with a high number - maybe ridiculously high - and enable best offers, otherwise you may be leaving quite a bit of meat on the bone listing it as a BiN. If it doesn't sell in 10 days at the high/ridiculously high number, throttle it back based on the consensus you learn through people making best offers.

1/1, PSA 10, Elite Prospect on a Team that could do things this year. No doubt there are Robert collectors out there salivating at these types of whales.

Literally exactly what I was thinking. Thank you very much!

@parthur1607 said:
    I started a thread on this yesterday and I am on the Luis Robert bandwagon. I am also a Braves fan and I really like Acuña but Robert has the potential to be better. I do agree with the post above mine that every year there seems to be the next great prospect entering the pipeline. Now we have Jasson Dominguez. I can say for sure I wouldn’t want to be in Wander Franco’s shoes because it’s tough living up to being ranked the #1 prospect in baseball. Vlad Jr. has had trouble and I don’t know if y’all remember the 2018 #1 prospect, Francisco Mejia. How many teams has he been bounced around to since then? Hint: he got traded to the Rays this offseason.

Potential to be better than Acuna is a long way from actually being better. I would say there is a 10% chance he becomes a good player - all star and a 2% chance he becomes a great player - ROY - MVP candidate like Acuna.

I agree with the OP that he should sell the card asap and get what he can for it.

• Tell me what you guys know about Lelands Auctions. I was told to check them out. Thoughts?

Congrats on the grade, awesome when a gamble pays off!

Yaz Master Set

@charlesreed00 said:
    Tell me what you guys know about Lelands Auctions. I was told to check them out. Thoughts?

They are solid. I like PWCC and Probstein too.

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

I would just ship it to PWCC and let them take it for a ride. Congrats on the 10!

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

The Orange Magma Auto PSA 10 numbered to 25 is listed at $1,499 and I think that is probably your best comparison. I agree with what everyone is saying about selling it now because there is no way to know what type of player he will turn into and people are paying big prices right now. But if he has a good year where could the price go? I’m in the same situation with a 2020 Topps Chrome Sapphire Dustin May Red Refractor Auto numbered 1/5.

• @parthur1607 said:
    The Orange Magma Auto PSA 10 numbered to 25 is listed at $1,499 and I think that is probably your best comparison. I agree with what everyone is saying about selling it now because there is no way to know what type of player he will turn into and people are paying big prices right now. But if he has a good year where could the price go? I’m in the same situation with a 2020 Topps Chrome Sapphire Dustin May Red Refractor Auto numbered 1/5.

Here are two that have already sold on eBay. on 1/18/21 a 1/5 2020 bowman chrome red refractor auto spa 10 sold for $19,500.00. On 2/10/21 a psa 10 bowman chrome 1st bowman card orange refractor /25 (non auto) sold for $15,000.00.

I hear what you are saying but if that card went for 15 and it's out of 25 then my 1/1 should go for a lot more than that. Basically it comes down to what someone is willing to pay. But no way am I taking $1500 for this card.

Thank you for your thoughts! Best of luck with your Dustin May card.

1500 is way low for it, even as a non auto.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@charlesreed00 said:
    Tell me what you guys know about Lelands Auctions. I was told to check them out. Thoughts?

They are solid. I like PWCC and Probstein too.

Stay away from Probstein, if he loses your card, you will get NOTHING.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • @Batpig said:
    1500 is way low for it, even as a non auto.

Amen!!!

I think you have over valued your card. But if you get it sent to an auction house and it corresponds with the start of the MLB season, and he gets off to a hot start, that would be perfect timing for you.

Either way I hope you get over 5K for it! Good luck!

I don’t understand why people send their cards to auction houses. Granted if I had a card that would sell for more than 15k I might use an auction house such as PWCC. Their fees are just as much, or more, as eBay so why wouldn’t you sell it yourself?

Let us know when you list the card because I am interested to see what it brings. I will be pulling for you to get 5k+++

@parthur1607 said:
    I don’t understand why people send their cards to auction houses. Granted if I had a card that would sell for more than 15k I might use an auction house such as PWCC. Their fees are just as much, or more, as eBay so why wouldn’t you sell it yourself?

Let us know when you list the card because I am interested to see what it brings. I will be pulling for you to get 5k+++

That's a big debate, with many pros and cons. The biggest pros for me are not dealing with non payment and visibility.

edited February 23, 2021 2:30PM

@parthur1607 said:

Well lets do some math on a hypothetical example.

You sell a card yourself for 5k, pay $500 in fees, and net $4500.

BAH (Big Auction House) sells the same card for $7000, you pay $1000 in fees, and net $6000.

That's usually about how the math works out.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

@Ahmanfan said:

@parthur1607 said:

Well lets do some math on a hypothetical example.

You sell a card yourself for 5k, pay $500 in fees, and net $4500.

BAH (Big Auction House) sells the same card for $7000, you pay $1000 in fees, and net $6000.

That's usually about how the math works out.

I can see the benefit in that and if I had a card worth 5k I may use an auction house.

• A lot of good information on here and I appreciate all of it. I am really torn on how to go about this. A rep from Leland's contacted me and they are interested in the card. However, their commission fee is 15%. What is the final fee on eBay? 10%? I can't get a clear answer on that. I've seen where it's ten but only up to $750. But anyway....Leland's sent me a link to an auction for a 2018 Luis Robert Bowman Prospect Chrome 1/1 PSA 10 that ended on 2/7/21 and it sold for over $92,000! So I'm sorry but I don't get the people on here saying I'm over valuing the card. If I go with Leland's it will be sold in the may auction and waiting concerns me. What if he gets hurt or what if he gets off to a slow start, but what if he is on fire and the card goes even higher? I mean I just don't know LOL.

This is a one time deal. I want to maximize my profit. I kinda feel like I should put it on eBay for 10 days and see what happens. But I want to understand the final value fees better. This is a big deal to me and can help my family out tremendously so I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks for all the wisdom you nice people are giving me.

So I have done business with PWCC in the past, but probably won’t in the future for reasons you can find easily with internet searches. Having said that, if I was in your position and simply wanted to safely maximize my gain, I’d go with them. Rest assured that your card will sell for what it’s worth (or more). Just don’t get any pre-conceived notions about what it’ll go for, it’s just really hard to say.

I would not list a card like that myself. It just won’t get the eyeballs that a big operation would.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

@Batpig said:
    So I have done business with PWCC in the past, but probably won’t in the future for reasons you can find easily with internet searches. Having said that, if I was in your position and simply wanted to safely maximize my gain, I’d go with them. Rest assured that your card will sell for what it’s worth (or more). Just don’t get any pre-conceived notions about what it’ll go for, it’s just really hard to say.

I would not list a card like that myself. It just won’t get the eyeballs that a big operation would.

I absolutely agree with this. This is exactly what I would do as well. I believe their fees are less than what your ebay fees would be and they take all the risk.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@charlesreed00 said:
    A lot of good information on here and I appreciate all of it. I am really torn on how to go about this. A rep from Leland's contacted me and they are interested in the card. However, their commission fee is 15%. What is the final fee on eBay? 10%? I can't get a clear answer on that. I've seen where it's ten but only up to $750. But anyway....Leland's sent me a link to an auction for a 2018 Luis Robert Bowman Prospect Chrome 1/1 PSA 10 that ended on 2/7/21 and it sold for over $92,000! So I'm sorry but I don't get the people on here saying I'm over valuing the card. If I go with Leland's it will be sold in the may auction and waiting concerns me. What if he gets hurt or what if he gets off to a slow start, but what if he is on fire and the card goes even higher? I mean I just don't know LOL.

This is a one time deal. I want to maximize my profit. I kinda feel like I should put it on eBay for 10 days and see what happens. But I want to understand the final value fees better. This is a big deal to me and can help my family out tremendously so I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks for all the wisdom you nice people are giving me.

I think ebay fees are closer to 12-13% but there is a cap. I've sold through Heritage before and those commissions are negotiable for the seller. You could probably get them down to 7.5% or lower fairly easily. HA also charges a 20% fee to the buyer, so assuming Leland's has a similar model they're going to get their chunk from the buyer anyway. Given the Leland's timing, though, I think your fears are real and going with PWCC does seem to make the most sense.

Jim

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with the sale. I know you mentioned you didn't know you had it in your collection but do you think you pulled it from a pack? If so, that's a lottery hit being a pop 1.

• @gemint said:
    Good luck with the sale. I know you mentioned you didn't know you had it in your collection but do you think you pulled it from a pack? If so, that's a lottery hit being a pop 1.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I did. I found two hobby boxes and both had 10 cards in them each. If you look back a hobby box of Bowman High Tek comes with 10 cards (1 pack). So I'm pretty sure that's how I got it I just done recall every buying the hobby boxes lol.

Thanks

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts are (and please take them as just another guy talking who knows nothing) because it's a 1 or 1 if you list it yourself and it doesn't sell and then send it off to an auction house it may get stuck with the negative moniker of being a card that didn't sell. Most people in the market for a Luis Robert 1 of 1 will have already seen it not sell on eBay and that may make them not put their all into their auction house bids. Or I could be completely wrong.

Agree completely with nam812. Go with an auction with a heavyweight, and you’ll know you’re getting what it’s worth.

• @nam812 said:
    My thoughts are (and please take them as just another guy talking who knows nothing) because it's a 1 or 1 if you list it yourself and it doesn't sell and then send it off to an auction house it may get stuck with the negative moniker of being a card that didn't sell. Most people in the market for a Luis Robert 1 of 1 will have already seen it not sell on eBay and that may make them not put their all into their auction house bids. Or I could be completely wrong.

@nam812 and Batpig I thought exact thing. I think I've thought of 100 different ways this could go. I just want it to go the right one. I'm leaning towards going with Lelands but they said there won't be a reserve on the card during auction. That scares me to death!

@charlesreed00 said:

@nam812 said:

@nam812 and Batpig I thought exact thing. I think I've thought of 100 different ways this could go. I just want it to go the right one. I'm leaning towards going with Lelands but they said there won't be a reserve on the card during auction. That scares me to death!

It’ll sell for what the market will bare. Don’t sweat. If it sells for 20 K through Lelanda or PWCC, then you will know it was worth 20 K.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Let us know when you decide to sell and who you’re selling with.

• @Batpig said:
    Let us know when you decide to sell and who you’re selling with.

Signed contract with Lelands yesterday @Batpig it will be going live in the May auction! Hope Robert has the greatest two month start to a season on MLB history LOL.

Sweet card.

Yaz Master Set