Home Sports Talk
Options

Adrian Peterson wants to break Emmitt Smith's record

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adrian Peterson is looking to break Emmitt Smith's all-time rushing yards record.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/adrian-peterson-hopes-to-break-emmitt-smith-s-record-while-chasing-ring

Comments

• Options
    edited February 16, 2021 3:52AM

Adrian Peterson has 14,820 rushing yards as of now and Emmitt has 18,355. So Adrian Peterson has to get 3,536 yards to pass Emmitt.

• Options
    edited February 16, 2021 3:53AM

I did math, I beat math for once!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2021 4:20AM

Not going to happen. Had he not beat his kid and got suspended for that year he might have had a chance

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont see it happening. i also don't want him to break the record for the same reasons perk mentioned above

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

he would also be about 58 years old at the current pace he is on

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Not going to happen. Had he not beat his kid and got suspended for that year he might have had a chance

He also missed almost an entire year in 2016 when he had a torn meniscus in his right knee.

Higher yards per carry than Smith and he was able to average 3.9 last year about the same as Ezekial Elliot.

Doubtfull a team is going to give him enough carries (about 1,000) to get a chance.

Adrian is a stud. Always played hard. Not a lot of smart choices off the field.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2021 7:55AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

He also missed almost an entire year in 2016 when he had a torn meniscus in his right knee.

Higher yards per carry than Smith and he was able to average 3.9 last year about the same as Ezekial Elliot.

Doubtfull a team is going to give him enough carries (about 1,000) to get a chance.

Adrian is a stud. Always played hard. Not a lot of smart choices off the field.

I forgot about his knee injury, outside of that he has been very durable. Definitely in the discussion for one of the top 10 best ever RB’s

• Options

@perkdog said:

I forgot about his knee injury, outside of that he has been very durable. Definitely in the discussion for one of the top 10 best ever RB’s

He's at #5 in total yards and has a higher YPC than all of the guys ahead of him except Barry Sanders.

Yes, I do think he makes the top 10 quite easily.

Personally I would say he's in the top 5, Brown/Sanders/Walter were the top three, after that I don't see anyone significantly better than Adrian at running the ball.

Certainly not Frank Gore who could become the #2 all time rusher if he finds a team that will give him the ball 200 times next year.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

He's at #5 in total yards and has a higher YPC than all of the guys ahead of him except Barry Sanders.

Yes, I do think he makes the top 10 quite easily.

Personally I would say he's in the top 5, Brown/Sanders/Walter were the top three, after that I don't see anyone significantly better than Adrian at running the ball.

Certainly not Frank Gore who could become the #2 all time rusher if he finds a team that will give him the ball 200 times next year.

I cannot stand Frank Gore being that high on the rushing yardage list. Great guy and all that but hanging around grinding out yards like that doesn’t tell a complete tale

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

In an era where most running backs are used up and discarded in 5 years, there is still something to be said for Gore's longevity. I don't think anyone considers him a top 5 or even 10 all-time great, but I seem to recall seeing "the best ability is availability" mantra, repeatedly, somewhere around here.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smith had some old man stat padding. AP could do the same I suppose. Meaningless as well.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    In an era where most running backs are used up and discarded in 5 years, there is still something to be said for Gore's longevity. I don't think anyone considers him a top 5 or even 10 all-time great, but I seem to recall seeing "the best ability is availability" mantra, repeatedly, somewhere around here.

The availability thing is lost on me with Gore last year, for a lost season I still cannot understand why Gase fed him the ball so much while he had a couple of rookie Backs on the roster to give some game experience too.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Smith had some old man stat padding. AP could do the same I suppose. Meaningless as well.

m

Peterson is still averaging 4 yards a carry (to be exact 3.9) as good as Ezekial.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

I honestly think he is one of the greatest players of all time. Also, almost every player likes and respects him. That being said, with all of the incredible on the field accomplishments he seems to make a million off the field mistakes. Some silly...some are trusting his finances with the wrong people, having way to many issues with having too many kids, not paying off loans, meeting the one child just before passing away was about the worst look that he could possibly have. And obviously the kid hit with the switch and not being very apologetic over the whole ordeal....on and on. Some people can not get out of their own way. Could he physically break the record....YES; but he's not going to get a chance. He was only used part time last year. NO CNANCE of breaking the record.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:
    I honestly think he is one of the greatest players of all time. Also, almost every player likes and respects him. That being said, with all of the incredible on the field accomplishments he seems to make a million off the field mistakes. Some silly...some are trusting his finances with the wrong people, having way to many issues with having too many kids, not paying off loans, meeting the one child just before passing away was about the worst look that he could possibly have. And obviously the kid hit with the switch and not being very apologetic over the whole ordeal....on and on. Some people can not get out of their own way. Could he physically break the record....YES; but he's not going to get a chance. He was only used part time last year. NO CNANCE of breaking the record.

Agree with everything you said, with one question. If Frank Gore can (up until now) find a team to give him the ball, why not Peterson?

I once told another Vikings fan BEFORE the child "spanking" problem that Adrian was an idiot. Almost got myself slugged!

One of the big stories was he would practically crush your hand if you were to shake hands with him. Come on 5th grade was a long time ago dude!

He also was not too concerned with birth control. Every child deserves a Father, not just his money.

On the field, he was superb!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned long ago that if I was to only root for players who had similar morals/lifestyles to me, I'd have almost no one to root for.

That being said, I would not want him on the Pats. Hitting your kids private areas, which is what I remember them saying he did, with a "switch" is not something I consider to be kosher. Also, he has had children with a large number of women. If he was good with his money and took care of them properly, that would somewhat mitigate things. But I have heard for years that he is essentially broke and living on high interest loans, etc.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

if AP rushes for 3536 more yards and passes Emmitt i'll binge drink a bottle of boone's and upload it to youtube

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Mickey71 said:

Agree with everything you said, with one question. If Frank Gore can (up until now) find a team to give him the ball, why not Peterson?

I once told another Vikings fan BEFORE the child "spanking" problem that Adrian was an idiot. Almost got myself slugged!

One of the big stories was he would practically crush your hand if you were to shake hands with him. Come on 5th grade was a long time ago dude!

He also was not too concerned with birth control. Every child deserves a Father, not just his money.

On the field, he was superb!

JoeBanzai,

To answer your question...he will run out of teams and most teams will not touch him. The League Office wants him to go away. He's actually so talented that he's been able to land a few jobs; but that is drying up quickly. Will he play this next season? I remember the year before when he was inactive for Game 1 and the coach just didn't want to play him. Then he was clearly Washington's best back.

In regards to Gore: I've never thought he was great. Maybe 1-2 seasons?? But durability/longevity at RB is impressive.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    if AP rushes for 3536 more yards and passes Emmitt i'll binge drink a bottle of boone's and upload it to youtube

• Options
    edited February 16, 2021 7:18PM

• Options

Why does the league want him gone? He isn’t the only player to hit his kid or have multiple kids with multiple women and be financially stupid.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

If you binge drink a bottle of boone's I guarantee you will upload it. Been there done that.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

I'm buying a bottle tomorrow and will lay it down for you in the cellar

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

I'm buying a bottle tomorrow and will lay it down for you in the cellar

m

you got it

and i will reimburse you the 4 dollars