Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A cool Viking newp

I bought this recently. It is a type that I have wanted for several years. I am so happy! This coin would be tough to beat for the type; at a minimum it is a candidate for finest extant.

ANGLO-SAXON, Anglo-Viking (Southern Danelaw). Imitative coinage.

Circa 885-915. AR Penny (1.4g). Imitating Oxford mint Orsnaforda type (BMC xviii) of Alfred. Beornwald, moneyer (immobilized). Struck circa 895-899. ORSИΛ ELFRED+ FORDΛ, trefoils around, quatrefoil above, and cinquefoil at bottom / BERИV ΛLDIIO, divided by three crosses, dot above and below. SCBI 16, 145 (same dies); North 472; SCBC 971. Choice EF, toned with traces of red wax. Rare.

Ex William Oldknow Collection (The New York Sale Auction LIII, 14 January 2021, lot 3085); R.C. Lockett Collection (Part I, Glendining, 6 June 1955), lot 514; F. McClean [“Astronomer”] (Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, 11 June 1906), lot 155 part).

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is outstanding and incredibly cool!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an outstanding addition!

What's with the wax? I think i had an 8 Reales also with some red wax traces in the devices.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

What's with the wax? I think i had an 8 Reales also with some red wax traces in the devices.

Museum accession numbers? Even old collectors going back 100 or more years, and he's got provenance going back further than that!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

Red wax was used long ago as contrast when plating a coin for a catalog. It basically means that the coin was special enough to be worth the effort.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats great coin!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@Bob13,

Would you take this? It only hammered at a measly $130k in 2017 in Triton XX.

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=325712

• Options

Daggers can be costly.

:o

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler that is one awesome Viking! Thanks for posting that one.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2021 10:55AM

@EVillageProwler - as I said, a dream coin for sure! I am on the look out for some pennies from this period - likely something more available like Cnut or Athelred the Unready.

What an interesting time in history! Any fans of the History of England podcast? Or the Bernard Cornwall "Last Kingdom" series (books and now TV)? I highly recommend both.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@Bob13 said:
    @EVillageProwler - as I said, a dream coin for sure! I am on the look out for some pennies from this period - likely something more available like Cnut or Athelred the Unready.

Pre-pandemic, one can easily get a very nice Æthelred II (the Unrede), Cnut or Edward the Confessor for ~ $750. Nowadays, who knows. Best to wait for pricing to come back down a bit.

• Options

@OliverDePlaise said:
    Daggers can be costly.

:o

Aye!

• Options

GOLD is just crazy. :D

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool, @EVillageProwler ! Congratulations.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Red wax was used long ago as contrast when plating a coin for a catalog. It basically means that the coin was special enough to be worth the effort.

I don't understand. You mean they used wax to keep the coins still and everything in place, then shot a long exposure photo?

• Options

@tcollects said:

@EVillageProwler said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

I don't understand. You mean they used wax to keep the coins still and everything in place, then shot a long exposure photo?

I hate to admit this, but I do not have enough photographic knowledge to explain precisely how they put images into catalogs in Ye Olden Days.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always assumed it was to make impressions to be able to show both sides of the coin side by side.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:
    I bought this recently. It is a type that I have wanted for several years. I am so happy! This coin would be tough to beat for the type; at a minimum it is a candidate for finest extant.

ANGLO-SAXON, Anglo-Viking (Southern Danelaw). Imitative coinage.

Circa 885-915. AR Penny (1.4g). Imitating Oxford mint Orsnaforda type (BMC xviii) of Alfred. Beornwald, moneyer (immobilized). Struck circa 895-899. ORSИΛ ELFRED+ FORDΛ, trefoils around, quatrefoil above, and cinquefoil at bottom / BERИV ΛLDIIO, divided by three crosses, dot above and below. SCBI 16, 145 (same dies); North 472; SCBC 971. Choice EF, toned with traces of red wax. Rare.

Ex William Oldknow Collection (The New York Sale Auction LIII, 14 January 2021, lot 3085); R.C. Lockett Collection (Part I, Glendining, 6 June 1955), lot 514; F. McClean [“Astronomer”] (Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, 11 June 1906), lot 155 part).

I like it congrats!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL