Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

Canadian Coin Swap # 1

OK, Canadian Coin Swap # 1

I have 5 sets of George V Canadian Nickels from 1922 to 1936, all in Fine or better, (Some way better) No Culls, AG's, G's or VG's. There are also NO 1925's or 1926's. I have not checked to see if there are any varieties since I don't have a Canadian coin book to look them up. (I ordered one about 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't got here.) Anyway, to clarify, 1 each of 1922, 23, 24, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 and 36. 13 coins, plus what I list below.
The reason it has taken so long to post this is that I didn't know what I would trade for each set since I really don't need anything, but have settled on the Canadian .925 silver dollars. 1 coin, any face, = 1 set of nickels but I do like Ships and Animals.
To sweeten the pot, since there are only 13 coins, I will fill out the sets with 7 more Duplicate coins in the same same group, (George V) up to 20 coins and throw in a few George VI's (1937 -1952) and Elizabeths (1952 -2000). The added coins may have some duplicates since for example I have 34 1933's.The George VI and Elizabeth's can always be spent or traded if you don't need them. Again, no culls or lower grades. Just trying to get rid of them.

I'm also going to post this over on the Swaps and Giveaways Coins thread, so if you want them, PM me and send a picture if you can on what you've got to trade.

Bruce

Comments

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

regular Canadian Siler dollars are from 1935 to 1967 and are 80% silver
    there are none from 1940 to 1944.
    .925% may be the NCLT (non circulating leagal tender) which the RCM is pushing with huge profits.
    so if you want to trade your nickels as described above for a CAN dollar, they must be mighty nice to be worth an even Stephen with the dollar. (like around better than VF 20.)
    good luck with that trade....

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

When I ran the Nickel prices, at Fine they averaged about $1.50 ea so just kept adding more coins until I gave some value. The .925 Silver are priced at $23 - $25 on ebay. Just figured it would be an equitable trade. If not, tell me what you'll trade? I have a whole pile of Canadian 80% Silver Dollars from 1935 on, and some are really nice with the trains RCMP, etc, was just trying to add a few more. Have up to about 1990, but the ones I saw thast looked so good were about from 1992 on. Don't really care about the silver content, just wanted the coins and they don't make those patterns in Nickel!

Heck if it's not a fqair trade, tell me what you'll trade, I just want rid of the coins.

Let me explain something. I inherited a whole Apple box full of Canadian Coins to include proof sets, (Which I don't want to break up) Mint sets from 1966 -2000, Pennies, Nickels, Quarters and Dollars in their individual hard cases which I already had a whole bunch of that I collected years ago.

I collected Canadian large pennies (1858 -1921) and Fishscale nickels (1858 -1921) back when there were only about 4 Collectors in the whole US collecting Canadian. I could buy handfuls of fishscale nickels in high grades for melt value back then.

As one of your other members (DBStrader2) told me, Canadian Coins used to be like Chicken Wings. No body wanted them and they were cheap! Today both Canadian Coins and Chicken Wings are popular. Well, I don't need Any of these Canadian coins that I inherited and at 77 YO just don't want to fool with them and the local dealers don't want them. I also inherited lots of British, Mexican and other world coins, just haven't got to them yet and here again, I don't need anything so what do I do with them?

The Canadian Dollars were the first thing I'd seen that I liked and since I already had a bunch in .80 or .50 Silver, thought I'd just add on. Do I need them? Nope just wsometyhing worth trading for and maybe get rid of a bunch of old nickels.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

as I said before, good luck with your trading ideas.
    have no idea where u get your pricing for the nickels from. and the silver pieces in metal boxes????
    there may be, is , a market for it. it is called "the silver bucket". My suggestion: take the coins out of the boxes, make sure they are silver content, and designate them as "to be melted"..... unless your nicles are MS60 or much better.
    to identify your coins go to
    coinsandcanada web site. every info you need is there.
    However, use there prices with caution as half of what they print is usually still too much.
    here are some KD to look out for for a second look:
    1926, 1926, 1932, 1938, 1944 tombak, 1946/6, 1947 dot, 1951 high relief, 1953 mules, 1955 LB,
    and that is sort of IT. everything else is nothing but Nickel metal,
    good luck with the project
    H

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

While I appreciate the input, I have no desire to go through these coins looking for various varieties and as far as I am concerned, they are all so much collectable Nickel. If someone gets a rare variety out of these trades, Great! the pricing came from Coins and Canada and since I haven't collected Canadian Coins in 30 or better years, it's all I had to go on. As far as the Dollar coins, there are about 20 or so in individual containers as issued by the mint, dated in the 70's mainly.. I haven't opened them to see if they are Silver or not, just haven't gotten that far, but it seems that this whole idea is going to be a major PIA, so may just put everything in the trash and call it quits. Shame though, there must be about a total of 80 - 100 George V nickels alone and someone might need them. And another 40 -50 George VI including some Tombac. How or why my Aunt ended up with all these darn things, I have no idea.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't "trash" them if you can't get any deals going on them. Maybe there's a group of YN's out there in local coin clubs that might get "Darkside fever" if you donated them? Or salted them in change or spread some around for kids to find & bring home to learn more about? That's what I do on occasion.

Or maybe even post the whole shebang as a giant lot on eBay for the highest bidder. You could ship them all off in a flat-rate USPS box for a reasonable cost & have them all out of your hair.

Heck, you could even ship them to me & I could even take them & put as many as I can in some of the excess Whitman blue folders I have to make them that more exciting for coin-club YN's in my area, if you want to as a last resort........

ROFL, John, you nevert quit do you?.....I just PM'd you about those Silver Dollars you were asking about! I think I am going to just bulk the Nickels together and trade off for somethnig like the Canadian Davis Sterling dollar which i saw advertised for about $25.00 on Ebay. There must be close to 100 George the V nickels in this bunch. Most price between $1.50 and $2.00 in the coin book I finally got, so maybe a dealer wants them. Or somebody that wants to put about 10 - 15 sets together.

The High grade nickels from 1964 - 2000 I'm not so sure about. Some of these coins would grade so High in MS, it would make your nose bleed just looking at them. lol There are some serious grades in nickels there. I don't think they are proofs, I think they were all removed from Mint sets and somehow my Aunt acquired them as a set, of sorts. Looking in my new3 Canadian Coin book trying to determine the difference between proofs and just high grade business strikes.

Maybe someone can tell me are these high grades or Proofs. There is some lint inside the celophane on the 2x2"s that show up as dark lines.

These are about average for the set. Excuse my shoddy Photography. Experimenting with different lighting and angles.

BTW, has anybody ever noticed that the Beaver is Female?

Well Duh, just realized I have both Proof sets and Mint sets out in the garage that I inherited. Guess i could just go look!......ROFL

It took me trying to figure it out in the book to realize i had copies already!

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

I'll bite............. How do you know the beaver's a female? Some telltale feature on the coin/design itself, or thru some story/article somewhere?

-- Dave

edited February 27, 2021 3:30PM

Dave, it's fairly evident!

Just look at the eyes on the Beaver. I've only seen that beady eye'd look in a females eyes when she is upset with her husband!.....ROFL!

And yes, I was waiting for someone to ask!....LOL!