Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

To Hanover Token

Can't find this coin anywhere. 1861 22.5 mm 4.34 g and orientation is flipped 180 degrees. It is not this one https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces72116.html

A world without coins "Chaos"

Comments

• StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

These pieces were mass-produced and there were many different varieties, and bear many dates both fictitious and authentic. Early pieces may have been sold as souvenirs to the poor, as the article notes, but most (especially the later versions such as this one) were sold in bulk packets for use as gambling tokens, as they almost-but-not-quite looked like gold sovereigns.

As the article notes, the token contains a political message. Ever since George I, the kIngs of England had been German prices too. But Queen Victoria was disallowed from inheriting the throne of Hanover, due to the strict male-only primogeniture laws of that country; the throne passed tot he Queen's cousin, the arch-conservative Duke of Cumberland, a generally unpopular fellow whom the British public were mostly thankful to be rid of. Duke Ernest became King Ernst Augustus I of Hanover.

The token depicts the Duke, wearing the Hanoverian crown. Unlike St George who faces and slays the dragon, the Duke is shown avoiding and jumping over the dragon instead; the dragon has two heads, representing the former "un-natural" union of Britain and Hanover. The message of the token overall is simple: "Hanover can keep Cumberland Jack if they want him, good riddance we say; we'll keep Victoria, thanks". King Ernst August died in 1851, so if the 1861 date is accurate, the king depicted had been dead for ten years.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Thanks for solving the mystery

A world without coins "Chaos"