Home Sports Talk

All signs point towards Hurts

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 15, 2021 4:50AM in Sports Talk

We have to stay in touch with the NFL this offseason, so I'll do my best to ensure that we do. All signs seem to be pointing to Jalen Hurts being the starter next season for the Eagles. Jalen Hurts is reportedly going to be working out with the Eagles receivers in Texas and that is something a starting quarterback typically does. Just in case you're wondering, Carson Wentz will not be working out with Eagles receivers in Texas.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jalen-hurts-gives-sign-that-he-is-eagles-starting-quarterback/ar-BB1dGCY5

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see Hurts go for a full season. What will the Eagles record be at the end of the season? Can Hurts put them in playoff contention? We shall see!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hurts absolutely gives the Eagles a better chance to win providing he is allowed to finish games 😂😂😂

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not convinced yet that Jalen Hurts is the answer.

If they get rid of Wentz, i wouldn't mind the Eagles drafting a QB with their first round pick, and let Hurts and the draft pick fight it out.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

If they get rid of Wentz, i wouldn't mind the Eagles drafting a QB with their first round pick, and let Hurts and the draft pick fight it out.

The quarterback position is only worth 5% so why bother.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

The quarterback position is only worth 5% so why bother.

m

In extreme cases it can be 7% though

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I am not a Wentz "guy". I remember the hype, and he seemed like the real thing.

I don't watch the Eagles. Please explain what you think went wrong with Wentz.

When looking at his numbers, I see a guy who was very good in his rookie year, fantastic in his second year, very good in year three and then in year four he played in every game, threw 200 more passes and had a very low interception %.

Year five he's in the toilet. Completion % down, interception % way up, he got sacked 50 times in just 12 games, or 67 times over a 16 game season. That looks like it would have been one of the worst seasons all time in (not) protecting your QB.

Hope the new guy can run.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

I am not a Wentz "guy". I remember the hype, and he seemed like the real thing.

I don't watch the Eagles. Please explain what you think went wrong with Wentz.

When looking at his numbers, I see a guy who was very good in his rookie year, fantastic in his second year, very good in year three and then in year four he played in every game, threw 200 more passes and had a very low interception %.

Year five he's in the toilet. Completion % down, interception % way up, he got sacked 50 times in just 12 games, or 67 times over a 16 game season. That looks like it would have been one of the worst seasons all time in (not) protecting your QB.

Hope the new guy can run.

<<< Please explain what you think went wrong with Wentz. >>>

I would but Perkdog doesn't like it when i do dissertations. ;)

In a nutshell...Fear of injury, and possibly fear of success...a mental case.

Maybe his proposed new surroundings can snap him out of it.

OK thanks. That makes sense.

I remember when Jeff George was with the Vikings. He made some unbelievable throws, once I saw him take a sack and fumble the ball away without being touched.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

I remember when Jeff George was with the Vikings. He made some unbelievable throws, once I saw him take a sack and fumble the ball away without being touched.

Wentz has been psychoanalyzed to death. Who really knows, perhaps Wentz doesn't even know.

This i do know. At those Gruden QB pre-draft shows that were on ESPN for a number of years, Wentz seemed like the smartest QB i ever saw on his show. Including his physical skills, is why the Eagles traded up for him as the #2 pick in the draft. I was very happy that the Eagles did that.

Especially when during the Super Bowl winning season for the Eagles, Wentz was well on his way to being MVP before he got hurt.

Wentz was never the same after that, and we all know about last season being awful.

Frankly, i'm on the fence about trading Wentz. I'd sure hate to get rid of the guy, then he shakes the cobwebs out, and becomes a superstar.

Oh well, another interesting off season coming up for the Eagles. We shall see what happens.

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Wentz has been psychoanalyzed to death. Who really knows, perhaps Wentz doesn't even know.

This i do know. At those Gruden QB pre-draft shows that were on ESPN for a number of years, Wentz seemed like the smartest QB i ever saw on his show. Including his physical skills, is why the Eagles traded up for him as the #2 pick in the draft. I was very happy that the Eagles did that.

Especially when during the Super Bowl winning season for the Eagles, Wentz was well on his way to being MVP before he got hurt.

Wentz was never the same after that, and we all know about last season being awful.

Frankly, i'm on the fence about trading Wentz. I'd sure hate to get rid of the guy, then he shakes the cobwebs out, and becomes a superstar.

Oh well, another interesting off season coming up for the Eagles. We shall see what happens.

Not trying to beat this to death, but don't you think if he had some time to throw, he might be better?

Or do you think his athletic ability has been diminished by the injuries.

Here in Minnesota Cousins looks like Dan Marino when he gets time to set up and take a look downfield, when the rush comes through untouched he looks more like Dan McGwire.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone needs a fresh start it's Wentz

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Allen Iverson is the answer.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I’ve seen and it’s only a small sample neither Hurts nor Tua are going to be franchise QB’s and I doubt they will be starters in 2 years. Patience is something the NFL loses very quickly in today’s game. Rarely will we see a QB have 3-4 years to mature. Josh Allen may have been the exception to the rule.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Not trying to beat this to death, but don't you think if he had some time to throw, he might be better?

Or do you think his athletic ability has been diminished by the injuries.

Here in Minnesota Cousins looks like Dan Marino when he gets time to set up and take a look downfield, when the rush comes through untouched he looks more like Dan McGwire.

I stated weeks ago that i'd rather give Wentz another year, especially under a new head coach.

That being said, Wentz needs to better understand that too many interceptions are unacceptable no matter what the game conditions.

@2dueces said:
    From what I’ve seen and it’s only a small sample neither Hurts nor Tua are going to be franchise QB’s and I doubt they will be starters in 2 years. Patience is something the NFL loses very quickly in today’s game. Rarely will we see a QB have 3-4 years to mature. Josh Allen may have been the exception to the rule.

Sadly as an Eagles fan, right now i'm agreeing with ya about Hurts.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

With a new coach and some confidence Wentz WILL be the Eagles starting quarterback in September. It was either Wentz’s huge salary or Pederson. We see who got the boot.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

With a new coach and some confidence Wentz WILL be the Eagles starting quarterback in September. It was either Wentz’s huge salary or Pederson. We see who got the boot.

I agree with ya, but it's hard to ignore all the trade rumors which seem credible.

Almost everything is available at the right price, especially in professional sports, and at this point in time, it seems that the teams who desire Wentz are not willing to pay the price the Eagles are asking.