Home Sports Talk

What was the sports forum like when you first joined?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 13, 2021 1:41PM in Sports Talk

I've only been posting here for a short time. When you first became a member, what was this place like? How many members did it have during it's prime?

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody's so different, i haven't changed.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glicker made as many threads as you.

Are you Glicker?

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

Are you Glicker?

No, but I hope I can carry on his tradition. Those are big shoes to fill, but I hope to be remembered like he is someday, and maybe even pass the forum on to a little Dragon Jr.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Yankees had just beaten the Phillies in the World Series and the forum layout looked very different than the years before when I used to lurk.

Since we're going to be telling stories, I've added a cozy little marshmallow roasting scene to the introduction post!

For the record, I am really not Glicker aka coinstartled. I was here the day he was banned, and my post was the last one on the thread he was banned on, before the thread was closed. I remember exactly what he was banned for, but we won't get into that. Now, back to story time!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy. Red Sox. Yankees. Red Sox. More Red Sox. The fabulous Yankee Red Sox rivalry. Did you know about it? It's great. Goes way, way back. Ted Williams was the best hitter. Shoulda not traded The Babe. Why did they trade him? Big mistake. Roger Clemens was the ROCKET! The Yankees only won those World Series because they had the ROCKET! Did you know he once played for the Red Sox? Carl Yastrzemski was great. Won the Triple Crown in '67. MVP too! Tony Conigliaro could have been great but bad things happened. Luis Tiant was the MAN! Loved watching him pitch!........Yankees bad. Red Sox good. If only they hadn't traded The Babe.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Busy. Red Sox. Yankees. Red Sox. More Red Sox. The fabulous Yankee Red Sox rivalry. Did you know about it? It's great. Goes way, way back. Ted Williams was the best hitter. Shoulda not traded The Babe. Why did they trade him? Big mistake. Roger Clemens was the ROCKET! The Yankees only won those World Series because they had the ROCKET! Did you know he once played for the Red Sox? Carl Yastrzemski was great. Won the Triple Crown in '67. MVP too! Tony Conigliaro could have been great but bad things happened. Luis Tiant was the MAN! Loved watching him pitch!........Yankees bad. Red Sox good. If only they hadn't traded The Babe.

So are you saying that a lot of Boston fans were using their collective voice to overrun the majority of Sports Talk. Like Tom Brady GOAT threads? B)

edited February 13, 2021 3:51PM

You said it.....I didn't........But, for some reason, maybe because I'm so old, I just always slip up and say...Boston Patriots. My kids can't figure it out.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@hammer1 said:

Are you Glicker?

No, but I hope I can carry on his tradition. Those are big shoes to fill, but I hope to be remembered like he is someday, and maybe even pass the forum on to a little Dragon Jr.

You're already a legend here.

What other poster had a Beanie Baby made in their image?

@hammer1 said:

@doubledragon said:

@hammer1 said:

Are you Glicker?

You're already a legend here.

What other poster had a Beanie Baby made in their image?

Thank you for the kind words, and this also gives me a great opportunity to use my blushing dog gif, it's just been sitting in my gif files and there's no sense in letting it go to waste!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s changed but in my opinion I’d say it’s pretty much right there with the best of times right now, I’m totally serious too. The regulars we got here now are all very good to banter with, I think the rivalries between Sox and Yankee fans were pretty intense back in the day and both sides got pretty snarky at times. There were always debates that got out of control as compared to now where they stay civilized. Good times

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forget.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@MDLB said:
    This place needs a new Rube.

Rube was great, no doubt about it. However i don't recall Rube posting much on Sports Talk.

If i'm remembering right, he posted mostly on the Sports Cards forum.

All i desire one day is to be named Sports Talk Poster of the Year.

I finished 583rd in the voting last year, and i was very pleased about that. My highest finish ever.

edited February 14, 2021 9:23AM

@stevek said:

@MDLB said:

Rube was great, no doubt about it. However i don't recall Rube posting much on Sports Talk.

Exactly right. He was a great guy, sadly I was informed he passed away. One time Lawnmowerman and I spent about $200 each on a group of auto 1950 Bowman’s I think for a Christmas gift for him. I got a $200 PSA 8 Bowman card and another time a Brady Jersey. We used to exchange some pretty nice gifts back in the day in the Sportscatd Forum, that place was more than just sports cards it was a hangout for a group of about 30 regulars.

I remember Lawnmowerman, I haven't seen him around in a long time. I heard he takes long breaks but eventually comes back.

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@MDLB said:

Exactly right. He was a great guy, sadly I was informed he passed away. One time Lawnmowerman and I spent about $200 each on a group of auto 1950 Bowman’s I think for a Christmas gift for him. I got a $200 PSA 8 Bowman card and another time a Brady Jersey. We used to exchange some pretty nice gifts back in the day in the Sportscatd Forum, that place was more than just sports cards it was a hangout for a group of about 30 regulars.

That was very cool of you and Matt to do that exchange with Rube. I'm sure he enjoyed that a lot.

I had read about Rube's passing on the forum a few years ago, but it didn't seem to be confirmed, but now with you stating it, that's a good enough confirmation for me, and I'm very saddened to hear it.

RIP

edited February 14, 2021 9:50AM

@doubledragon said:
    I remember Lawnmowerman, I haven't seen him around in a long time. I heard he takes long breaks but eventually comes back.

Perhaps Matt won the landscaping bid to service all the Tampa city property, and he works at it 24/7, with no time to post? :)

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MDLB said:

And a return of Dimeman.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I joined somewhere around the Summer of 2005. As a lifelong Red Sox fan, the whippin' my team put on the Yankees in the 2004 WS was still hot and in high blower. Of course you'll recall the Red Sox were down 3 games to 0 in the ALCS games and made the incredible comeback of winning the next 8 in a row, which included the first Red Sox win since forever. The Yankee fans were comatose and we loved it. LOTS of smack.

Then came 2007 same smack, and a repeat in 2010 was the same. There seemed to be a lot of pent up bragging, but I guess that goes with winning and especially when you hand your arch rival his A$$. It was a great time to be a Red Sox fan. Patriot stuff was also in high blower in the Winter months...I recall the crushing defeat by Eli on that lucky throw with little time left in the SB to snatch what would have been another win for Tom.

A few guys got nuked along the way, but maybe they were warned that they were on thin ice. A few got really political and they got the red box.

Above all that, it was pretty much 95%+ enjoyable. All good guys here just shooting the breeze.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I joined around 2005 also. I remember one of the prolific posters was Winpitcher.
    I don't remember if he posted here much or mainly on the sportscard forum.
    HIs post count was extremely high.

edited February 14, 2021 3:27PM

@perkdog said:
    It’s changed but in my opinion I’d say it’s pretty much right there with the best of times right now, I’m totally serious too. The regulars we got here now are all very good to banter with, I think the rivalries between Sox and Yankee fans were pretty intense back in the day and both sides got pretty snarky at times. There were always debates that got out of control as compared to now where they stay civilized. Good times

I agree with your take on the forum as it is now. And you're spot on about all the Yankee/Red Sox banter that seemed to dominate this place. It was a turn off. I always checked in and read the posts in the past but never really joined in because I just couldn't cut through the "snark" as you put it. But...one of the biggest thrills of my life, when I was a teenager, was going to a game at Fenway Park. A dream come true!

edited February 15, 2021 3:25AM

@Darin said:
    I joined around 2005 also. I remember one of the prolific posters was Winpitcher.
    I don't remember if he posted here much or mainly on the sportscard forum.
    HIs post count was extremely high.

Steve was a great guy, very smart and he used to mix it up with people quit a bit but was never a fire starter. Another great guy was Hoopster was an extremely intelligent Baseball guy and very smart sports talk guy, he was like Dallas in a lot of ways. Nam812, TNTonPMS, Stown, were all great guys too. Axtell and JoeStalin were big league fire starters but were fun to watch in action.

Collectors Universe should have a little forum Hall of Fame section. That would be cool. Perkdog would be a first ballot HOFer.

@doubledragon said:
    Collectors Universe should have a little forum Hall of Fame section. That would be cool. Perkdog would be a first ballot HOFer.

Hahaha thank you Double D! 👍🍻

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Hahaha thank you Double D! 👍🍻

You're a legend buddy! 🍻

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

one of the biggest thrills of my life, when I was a teenager, was going to a game at Fenway Park. A dream come true!

This is off topic, but any time Fenway is mentioned , I have to say... Please, I never want it replaced. I read so many people, even Boston lifers, say they can't wait for a new stadium. But we have sooooo many new ones. Leave this one be. It's a treasure. Yes, the seats are small. All seats were small back then. Sight lines are sometimes less than optimal. No way to maximize corporate revenue with endless suites.

But walking into Fenway, when you get that first glimpse of the grass, is magic.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. A lot of long time posters joined in 2005. Count me as one as I joined on my birthday. As I recall like Perk said we didn’t post at all on the sports forum, if there even was such a thing back then???? We posted on the main sports card board. There were some pretty heated discussions. Some nasty MF’s in here threatening to tell bosses that they were posting on company time. Threatening to find out where you lived, and not just threats, honest to goodness real threats. People hunted down and beaten at card shows. No sh$t!! All kinds of nasty threats, snarky comments aside. Yeah, it’s a much kinder group now. We did have some good-ens come and go. Some I miss and some i surely don’t.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Axtell and JoeStalin were bug league fire starters but were fun to watch in action.

Axtell amused me for a time, but ultimately he turned my stomach with some of his political stuff (9/11 was an inside job by the Bushies, stuff like that) and really got on my nerves when he'd PM me, which he did a lot. But what really grinded my gears was how Axtell would attack pretty much everyone, but if anyone attacked Axtell he ran crying to the moderators and tried to get people banned. Eventually he got banned himself (as did his multiple alts when he attempted to return), and all of our lives are the better for it. JS was also quite a fire starter, but he never stopped amusing me.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

@dallasactuary said:

@perkdog said:
    Axtell and JoeStalin were bug league fire starters but were fun to watch in action.

Axtell amused me for a time, but ultimately he turned my stomach with some of his political stuff (9/11 was an inside job by the Bushies, stuff like that) and really got on my nerves when he'd PM me, which he did a lot. But what really grinded my gears was how Axtell would attack pretty much everyone, but if anyone attacked Axtell he ran crying to the moderators and tried to get people banned. Eventually he got banned himself (as did his multiple alts when he attempted to return), and all of our lives are the better for it. JS was also quite a fire starter, but he never stopped amusing me.

Very accurate assessment of both those guys!

@dallasactuary said:

@perkdog said:

Axtell amused me for a time, but ultimately he turned my stomach with some of his political stuff (9/11 was an inside job by the Bushies, stuff like that)

So should I assume you're not a conspiracy theory guy? 😂

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man I do remember some of the back and forth tattletale crap from way back, was entertaining.

I will say the way they staged the moon landing back in 1969 was quite remarkable.

The desert landscape in Arizona really made it look like they were actually walking on the moon.

However that empty beer can in the background gave it away.

@stevek said:
    I will say the way they staged the moon landing back in 1969 was quite remarkable.

The desert landscape in Arizona really made it look like they were actually walking on the moon.

“Do you know this for sure?”
    “Still got the shovel out back!”

Can you name the movie quote by one of the greatest voices in Rock?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

I didn't google it.

I'll guess Pink Floyd. Probably wrong.

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

I didn't google it.

It’s a movie. Fits into the conspiracy thread

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

I didn't google it.

I dunno.

"One of the greatest voices in rock" is subjectively large, and so is the number of Hollywood conspiracy theory movies.

edited February 16, 2021 5:04PM

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

I didn't google it.

I dunno.

"One of the greatest voices in rock" is subjectively large, and so is the number of Hollywood conspiracy theory movies.

Movie was shooter and the actor was Levon Helm drummer for “The Band”

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

I didn't google it.

Do you have a link to the conspiracy thread, or is this it?

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a brass knuckles no rules fight club for awhile. Every once in awhile we talked about sports

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭

Joined 2007. Vintage card subs were posted regularly. It was exciting. People were way more happy with their grades also....Just pointing that out. There were many great arguments; but they were also mostly fair. Only truly bad thing that I really had an issue with was when I was accused of being some scammer in the Seattle area (Joey....something). I even had board members from here who knew me and the board member still hounded me. When it was 100% proven I was not the guy, the member still really never apologized. It was truly not nice.

@Justacommeman said:
    It was a brass knuckles no rules fight club for awhile. Every once in awhile we talked about sports

m

And the piling on was legit lol, like sharks with blood in the water if some poor fella became a target. Although most of the time said poor fellow brought it on himself

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

And the piling on was legit lol, like sharks with blood in the water if some poor fella became a target. Although most of the time said poor fellow brought it on himself

If you didn't come out of the pile bloodied you weren't trying hard enough. It reminded me of growing up in Detroit

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

the card section was a free-for-all back when i joined mid-2012. with that scenario comes both good and bad, but without question some of the most memorable stuff occurred during that time.

idk if Brick remembers this, but years ago someone created a thread asking people to unveil their last 3 (?) purchases on ebay. based on what Brick posted, i was convinced that he had recently purchased a vibrator. it was the first time since i was 6 months old that i did #1 and #2 simultaneously in my britches. turns out, that is not what he bought. but it sure does make for a better story if we pretend like he did.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

I knew Brick was a freak

m

Yes the Sports Card forum was like the street, anything went. The mods let everyone sort it out themselves lol

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

CU Sports Talk. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

@LarkinCollector said:
    CU Sports Talk. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Don't forget insanity...except of course for my cat Fluffy who does much of my posting for me now because i've often been away on covert top secret CIA missions. 🐈

@LarkinCollector said:

LOL you haven’t seen anything until you get on a gun forum