Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anglo-Scandinavian pennies (an interesting newp)

EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 9, 2021 9:30PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

In 994, King Svend I Tveskæg (Forkbeard) of Denmark and Olav I Tryggvason of Norway laid siege to London, leading to the Danegeld payments by King Æthelred II of England as a way of buying peace with the Vikings. With the large number of English pennies now in Scandinavia, the English CRUX penny type became the earliest model of the Scandinavian pennies.

(After 1020, during the reign of Cnut the Great, they started to issue types with native non-English motifs.)

These early imitative issues were used throughout Scandinavia as well as Eastern Europe. Per Malmer, specimens of this specific die pair were found in Denmark, Sweden and Poland. Where this die pair was issued, and under whose authority, is speculative.

(Image and some of the coin's data are from the seller, since I just bought it today.)

ANGLO-SCANDINAVIAN. temp. Svend I Tveskæg.

Circa 995. AR Penny (19mm, 1.03g). Imitation of Æthelred II's CRUX type. + EDELRED REX (NC)LOI / + ELFTAN Π-O EΛXE. Malmer CNS 9 16.1018. VF. Toned, with some minor verdigris. Rare.

Collecting these issues is very challenging; these are extremely hard to find in high quality, and the best one can do is to find wholesome specimens with decent eye appeal. These are commonly found with cracks, chips and heavy crimps. Moreover, the research data is extensive but largely still speculative and a constant work in progress.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments